BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Textile or leathers?

I've made up my mind that I'm picking up a new riding suit this year, maybe at the bike show. I've been into wearing leathers my entire riding career (insert joke here) but lately some really nice textile suits have been catching my eye. It seems that textile gear is matching leathers for rashability and seem more versatile for various weather conditions.

What are some of the pluses and minuses between wearing textile and leather. Gimmie some feedback.

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
A plus to leather is it will survive more than one good crash. And above all else...lets face it, it's sexy.

Leather keeps you warm when riding early season and when going through high mountain passes, but a well vented suit will also keep you cool in the summer.

I wear textiles when riding in stop and go traffic around town, and leathers for track days and highway cruising.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I've crashed way to much in one lifetime and have seen even more.

LEATHER all the way. No textile will ever come close.

Think about it if you knew you were going for a 100 yard slid down 50 grit sand paper today what would you want to be wearing ?

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
i have worn both also, and both have a purpose. i will wear textiles when i am riding at a slower pace around town, or doubling.

leathers are great for those days, when speed is def the factor on the ride. leather unlike textiles, does not feel like a sail dragging on your upper torso, at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
My take on it is this:
For street speeds, textiles will perform as well as, or very closely to, leathers.
The advantage of textile is weather protection...after all, Vancouver tends to get a little, uh, humid (read: wet) from time to time.

I've currently got a 3/4 length leather coat and pants, but prefer my 'Stich.

My next set will also be textile, an Aerstich Darien (deciding between the regular Darien and the "Light.") for convenience sake, as most of my summer riding takes me to places that are hotter than the Okanagan.

One vote for textile.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
i have worn both also, and both have a purpose. i will wear textiles when i am riding at a slower pace around town, or doubling.

leathers are great for those days, when speed is def the factor on the ride. leather unlike textiles, does not feel like a sail dragging on your upper torso, at higher speeds.
2 tru stories from the same person in one day. what is this forum coming to??

·
Learning the hard way.
1,334 Posts
I've always stayed completely dry in my leathers except where the perforations are - even dryer than the joe ballistic textile pants I've tried. I've got an accumulated 160kph worth of road rash on my suit and it's barely scuffed. Some stitching has come out but nothing that some ShoeGoo won't fix. Textiles will turn you into a lint ball and they grip the cement when downed so you roll instead of slide. Leathers all the way!

·
100% Asshole
3,406 Posts
Bought two new sets this year A 2 piece non perforated and a fully perforated 1 piece a cow, goat or kangaroo must die to protect my sexy body baby.......

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have a set of each... If the weather is really nasty i am inclined towards my textiles.. what i lose in abrasion resistance, i gain in comfort. I figure being warm, dry and comfortable is a safety factor in itself..

But leathers >80% of the time for sure:)

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
I wear a leather jacket and textile pants.
Just the way it worked out for me and I haven't found leather pants that look decent and not **** like.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Bought my first Aerostich Roadcrafter after watching a friend take a slide at 100mph right in front of me.

One tiny hole worn through, a lot of scuffs all over the suit, but between the cordura and the armor inside he got up and walked away with a tiny raspberry where the hole was.

I don't think it would hold up at racetrack speeds, but for any street riding it's more than adequate. Plus the advantages of easy to clean, goretex lining, tons of pockets to stuff things in, and easy and fast to put on and off over street clothes.

I'm on my second one now, after selling the first one for nearly half the price of a new one.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I've had way too many jackets leather, textile etc. The textile is usually much more comftorable but i'd rather go down in leather if I had the choice. Kevlar mixes are just as durable as leather I would think. . .

·
Waiting for the sun
502 Posts
I've had way too many jackets leather, textile etc. The textile is usually much more comftorable but i'd rather go down in leather if I had the choice. Kevlar mixes are just as durable as leather I would think. . .
I would agree with the thinking about Kevlar......If it kan stop a chainsaw from cutting your leg off and they make bullet-proof vests from it......should be tough enough to slid across a bit of asphalt.

As the karate-kid's sensi says, "Best defense is, no fall down, Danielson."

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a textile jacket that mixes a lot of materials and layers the protection. The outer most protection has areas of leather impregnated with ceramics.

MY 2 cents.
With textile the most important thing is fit. You do not want a jacket (or lesser so pants) where the material can roll or bunch up, particularly on the arms. What happens is that the elbow protection or with pants the knee protection can roll away from the area it is to protect. Lots of manufacturers will add straps with snaps or buckles so that they will fit a larger cross section of buyers.
You just have to make sure that you are not lazy and fasten your gear up tight.

·
total wanker!
146 Posts
I use both. Textile in the crappy weather, leathers in the good. When I use my leathers I also carry a rain suit. If you want an emergency rainsuit for cheap, just buy an industrial hygiene type tyvek suit. Takes hardly any space.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
i have a leather suit for racing cause it's mandatory and i have textile for the street. i just don't crash. that's the best way to do it.

·
Version None
194 Posts
My Aerostitch suit is unquestionably the best piece of riding equipment I have ever bought. When I compare it to wearing leathers, the protection factor for street riding at a semi-sane pace is a non-issue. The utility of the suit is what makes it better than leathers in my view; more pockets, can be worn over street clothes, and better elements protection (drier and warmer in my opinion). I don't have to look like I'm trying to get a knee down. For street riding, buy an Aerostitch. You will never regret it.

G

·
I feel much safer in my leather jacket. Personally, I'd rather be hot and sweaty during the summer but know I'm protected in the event of a crash.

That being said... I still have to find myself a nice pair of leather pants.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts