BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are way too many oil threads started in a year, and most lead down a similar path of debate and frustration.

So, ALL oil related threads/posts will be contained within this area going forward.

Feel free to discuss the exciting merits of syn for not? Fantastic winter oil options? All this plus more, enjoy!

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Hey where'd my post go, it was full of up to the date informative information... :laughing

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
~I was posting this for the 2005 joined Noob, but Chia nuked the thread~

If your bike is liquid cooled, and never used at redline (at the track day), then you can stop spending $20 a liter on Motul 300V. Unless you own a Ducati or Aprilia, they have to run on synthetics.

That being said, the fan on my GSXR used to pop on in traffic, was running hot now and then in the bullshit. I switched to the 300V and it cooled the bike a lot more efficently, the fan almost never needed to come on. I used to wring the neck on that bike, beating it hard, so I was stressing the engine. Never missed a beat.

I used to run the Castrol M/C oil from Canadian tire in one of my old bikes, CB900F, mostly cause it burned it. 6.99 vs 19.99.

Only thing I recommend 300V for is air cooled bikes that do a lot of commuter duty (idling in heat) and full blown race bikes. The sheeple can get by on the cheaper stuff for sure. It's the same with chain lube. I've seen a buddy use nothing but WD-40 and get 50000kms out of his chain on a ZX6R and another guy run PJ1 and his lasted maybe 10000kms.

There is no right answer, it's what's right for you.

Think about this. There is a big difference between the urban commuter guy and the weekend balls out guy. The urban guy gets up to head to work, his bike is flashed up and he's off, nary 30seconds to warm the oil, and he's reving it down the road, then idling, then going again. Maybe 15 min he's at work, shuts the bike down. If that oil doesn't get hot enough to even burn the condensation out of the block, you can look at his sight glass and see the water forming inside the oil, the chocolate milk effect. Had this guy warmed his bike up to operating temps first, then rode it harder or even longer than that, his oil would last longer.
The weekend warrior is a bit different, usually anal about his shit, he's got the bike warming up while he goes back in to gear up or checks his tire pressures again. Then he heads out and revs the can off the thing all afternoon, only stopping to put premium fuel in the bike and shitty coffee and eats in his belly. (this is what sport bikes are for)

OP has to recognise which guy he is and spend money on oil accordingly. We'll keep saying it, motorcycles are not a welfare sport, take the fucking bus if your bank roll can't handle $100 oil changes and $600 tires every 5000kms.

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
~I was posting this for the 2005 joined Noob, but Chia nuked the thread~
Sorry, if it was a current thread, I screwed up, was trying to merge a couple threads and use this new one
as the top post, but somehow messed it up a bit.

On the upside there are thousands of the same threads on the internet right now, so not a total loss.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
call me old fashioned, but I like whale oil. It burns nice in lamps.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Sorry, if it was a current thread, I screwed up, was trying to merge a couple threads and use this new one
as the top post, but somehow messed it up a bit.
Well there's obviously only one solution to this..

guillotines.jpg

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Okay here we go again with my spot on information

Seriously OP, use anything that is rated for motorcycle applications, as long as you change it regularly.
I have used everything from Canadian Tire brand and Castrol dino oil to Amsoil/Motul/Mobil 1 full synch M/C specific oils... As far as longevity of the motor goes I don't think there's much difference between all of them, they will all do the job for your street bike.

I do find the synthetics have the transmission shifting (with or without clutch) smoother longer..

I'm currently using Shell Rotella T6 synth, very happy with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Pee Wee and silverD.

I'm the weekend warrior type (good gas, shitty coffee) and think I'll put the premium oil in her, just wanted a little input.

·
Registered
920 Posts
For the DRZ I have been using Silkolene Pro, it is what the Thumpertalk guys have sorted out. On the KTM xcw 300 I use Mobil 1 from Walmart in the states (under $30 for over 4 litres). Change it often!

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can we have another thread for chain lube? Cause ya know that's going to be next.
Isn't chain lube a type of oil? If so, we can put it here!

Also, gas is made with oil, so any of those stupid octane posts can go here too!

Hell, even tires are made from petroleum products, so "what's the best tire" crap here too!

See, this is why it's the BIG oil thread.....so much more than meets the eye :)

·
oldskool suzuki rules
2,043 Posts
Jeeze Chia, I personally feel slighted, was getting myself all worked up over the lube thread and here you've lumped lube in with ho hum oil. If you'd said petroleum to begin with, well then I would of understood but .......NO you had to ruin all my fun, O well guess it's back to perving facebook!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Pretty sure EMS ditched Ipone in favor of Motul. So around the same time, I ditched Ipone for whatever they switched to, since they're the ones oiling me up usually out of laziness on my part. Either way, no noticable difference to me between the two...

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Pretty sure EMS ditched Ipone in favor of Motul. So around the same time, I ditched Ipone for whatever they switched to, since they're the ones oiling me up usually out of laziness on my part. Either way, no noticable difference to me between the two...
I've been using all sorts of oil, from cheap dino 10w40, to high end Motul... for years. I have never noticed a real difference in any of them to be honest.

They key is to keep it fresh. Oil is cheap, motors are not.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts