BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
you would be better advised to swap oil before storing, been doing that for years... i wouldnt keep old oil sitting in there for 6 months.. yuck

.[/I]
Thats what I mean. I'm going to store it over the winter with the motul 5100 i have left(new stuff), and put t6 in at the beginning of next season.

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
Redine is a very good oil. I've been using Maxima branded full synthetic 10/40 with my 600rr and very impressed with it. The interval in the manual is stated at 12,000kms'.. but I never exceed 5000km's. I think I did 3 oil changes on mjy bike over the course of 4 months this year. Oil is cheap, even if you pay $20/L. Your cost of running a motorcycle per km is relatively high anyhow. $20/L, zero fucks given. I fill the bike up with $40 worth of gas in a day to ride around... or more. So what if it's $100 to change your own oil. If your $100 oil goes 12,000km's if you follow the manual.. it's cheap!!! The tires are worn out in that and cost $400!

Why are 1%'ers in 1.6 million dollar townhomes worries about the cost of 5L Jug of oil??????????????

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Redine is a very good oil. I've been using Maxima branded full synthetic 10/40 with my 600rr and very impressed with it. The interval in the manual is stated at 12,000kms'..
ohh hey thanks for posting this, i was intrigued by Maxima synthetic but had not found anybody who has actually run it...

something tells me HONdA is hoping you guys blow an engine with those recommended oil change intervals... LOL

Thats what I mean. I'm going to store it over the winter with the motul 5100 i have left(new stuff), and put t6 in at the beginning of next season.
ahh, okay yeh that works :thumbup

for what its worth, i did a little more digging and it does appear Shell has modified their oil over the years and actually seems to hold its own in regards to Viscosity Shear Stability..

Viscosity Shear Stability (ASTM D-6278)
Amsoil = 20.2
Rotella (@5k miles)= 17.2

according to this ASTM D-6278 test, oils fall below indicated viscosity range for a particular weight when index is below (16.3-)16.5 ...
this test is very difficult to find proper comparisons for as Amsoil conveniently excludes most MC specific oils from their results...

it appears things do change radically in oils which contain an increased % of gas mixed in, which would happen on bikes that are running rich..

i would think the life of the engine and how it has been broken in, state of tune and such all have an effect on this, oils seem to be more stable on older engines which kinda makes sense

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
ohh hey thanks for posting this, i was intrigued by Maxima synthetic but had not found anybody who has actually run it...

something tells me HONdA is hoping you guys blow an engine with those recommended oil change intervals... LOL
It seems to be very good oil, I'm not sure if it's made by them. It's convenient for me to buy, and it's about $20/L ,actually it's over that I think.

As for the Honda intervals... one thing I am well aware of is the fact the Honda 600rr engine is one of the best motorcycle engines ever produced. It may not be the
most powerful, but it's legendary for going forever.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
It seems to be very good oil, I'm not sure if it's made by them. It's convenient for me to buy, and it's about $20/L ,actually it's over that I think.

As for the Honda intervals... one thing I am well aware of is the fact the Honda 600rr engine is one of the best motorcycle engines ever produced. It may not be the
most powerful, but it's legendary for going forever.
hehehe... i wondered the same thing, how repackaged is it!? lol

while i will agree i've seen some 600rr's go the distance, i'm betting its got more to do with return business and incremental revenue;
though as i have seen some pretty impressive shear viscosity tests, i have no doubt there's a few oils that can go 12k kms..

mind you even manufacturers which boast about such long oil life are quick to point out it does not mean the oil wont be filthy by then,
just that according to their tests, it should still protect the engine provided you run a damn good filter which can go the distance as well..

things start getting pretty gritty on any oil on a high performance motorcycle after 8k kms anyway so there is point in risking it IMHO...

yikes that is some hefty entry fee though, i'm gonna stick with T6 for the foreseeable future, if I were breaking in a brand new bike :)noevil)
i would probably run Amsoil Adv. Synthetic for the 1st couple of oil changes though as it does appear it's viscosity lasts longer than the Canuck's losing streak :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Duron-E synthetic 10/40 still the best deal.

It is that time of the year again when I stock up on oil. I always double check offerings and specs.
Duron is still the best deal by far under $8.00(per litre) for a high quality oil. See how it compares to Amsoil synthetic 10/40.

Petrocan does not pay for the Jaso Ma stamp but they do classify it as "suitable" for Jaso Ma Ma2.

I've been using this oil for 10 years in a variety of motorcycles.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone know if Point Roberts Shell sells Rotella T6 oil?

Exactly what the title says.. Thinking of ordering some but does anyone know if the PR Shell stocks this? Our local shells don't even know it exists and Canadian Tire cost quite a bit even after conversion and pick up fees.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Try Walmart I've bought it there before, and it goes on sale at Canadian Tire from time to time.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Oh... I was assuming you ment the 5 liter jug and it does go on sale like kmoney said.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's 18 US bucks at the Walmart in Bellingham. Make a ride out of it through Sumas. I do this every couple of years and grab two of three of the jugs.

·
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
It's 18 US bucks at the Walmart in Bellingham. Make a ride out of it through Sumas. I do this every couple of years and grab two of three of the jugs.
They sell it there, just under $20, and it's just shy of 4L......have bought it for years.

I actually remember when it was $12 not that long ago.

If you need a few jugs, also fill your car up and buy some cheeeeeeeese, it's worth the drive over the border to get yourself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They sell it there, just under $20, and it's just shy of 4L......have bought it for years.

I actually remember when it was $12 not that long ago.

If you need a few jugs, also fill your car up and buy some cheeeeeeeese, it's worth the drive over the border to get yourself.
So the Point Roberts Shell carries Rotella T6?

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
Let's do the math on this, once and for all...

5L T6: $25 CDN, basically.
Fuel for the 150 km round trip to Wal Mart in the average sedan: $26.25 (if you burn Canadian gas down, and US gas on the return).
God knows how many hours driving and sitting at the border.

vs

5L of Lucas Synthetic Motorcycle Oil at Canadian Tire: $54.

So, you get to spend an entire afternoon procuring not-as-good-oil for a whopping $3.70 worth of savings. Sure you could combine it with cheap US gas and cheese and such, but you can get all that closer to the line than Coast Meridian, but at the end of the day you're still saving a couple bucks on oil by buying heavy duty diesel oil that you'll subsequently pour into some of the most high-strung motors on the road. I've done it, and I can definitely tell you that Redline or Lucas runs and shifts better in every bike I've put it in, and honestly... if you need to save $3 on oil, motorcycles are not for you.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts