BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Let's do the math on this, once and for all...

5L T6: $25 CDN, basically.
Fuel for the 150 km round trip to Wal Mart in the average sedan: $26.25 (if you burn Canadian gas down, and US gas on the return).
God knows how many hours driving and sitting at the border.

vs

5L of Lucas Synthetic Motorcycle Oil at Canadian Tire: $54.

So, you get to spend an entire afternoon procuring not-as-good-oil for a whopping $3.70 worth of savings. Sure you could combine it with cheap US gas and cheese and such, but you can get all that closer to the line than Coast Meridian, but at the end of the day you're still saving a couple bucks on oil by buying heavy duty diesel oil that you'll subsequently pour into some of the most high-strung motors on the road. I've done it, and I can definitely tell you that Redline or Lucas runs and shifts better in every bike I've put it in, and honestly... if you need to save $3 on oil, motorcycles are not for you.
But you get a great ride out of it at the same time, especially if you have Nexus, which is priceless in comparison, and if you change your oil every 6k km like you are supposed to, spending extra on oil is a waste of money. You comment about it feeling better with other oil is purely a fantasy. IMO of course.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
But you get a great ride out of it at the same time, especially if you have Nexus, which is priceless in comparison, and if you change your oil every 6k km like you are supposed to, spending extra on oil is a waste of money. You comment about it feeling better with other oil is purely a fantasy. IMO of course.
My bike's recommended oil change interval is 12,800 kms. I do it between 8,000 and 10,000 kms, but regardless of intervals and mileages... I'm fine spending an extra $3 every few months. Hell even if I was bombing around on something where I was changing the oil weekly... It's three dollars. Who cares.

And no, its not fantasy; my gearbox gets notchy within weeks with T6, but stays fresh-oil-change smooth for months with Redline or Lucas. Believe it or not there are large differences between an oil designed for heavy duty diesels and an oil designed for use in motorcycles.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
My bike's recommended oil change interval is 12,800 kms. I do it between 8,000 and 10,000 kms, but regardless of intervals and mileages... I'm fine spending an extra $3 every few months. Hell even if I was bombing around on something where I was changing the oil weekly... It's three dollars. Who cares.

And no, its not fantasy; my gearbox gets notchy within weeks with T6, but stays fresh-oil-change smooth for months with Redline or Lucas. Believe it or not there are large differences between an oil designed for heavy duty diesels and an oil designed for use in motorcycles.
You are 100% correct. Although, I've actually had questionable engine noises from Lucas. Amzoil has a dealer on this forum, tested better oil, cheaper price. But yeah, I question a diesel oil in an engine with shared gearbox, and wet clutch, used for any more than 2000 kms. This is why I buy new so don't have to worry about the shit previous owners put in engines.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
It's 18 US bucks at the Walmart in Bellingham. Make a ride out of it through Sumas. I do this every couple of years and grab two of three of the jugs.
yup i pick it up at Walmart in bellingham.. its often on sale, though its a smaller jug than whats available in Canada just short of 4 quarts US

Believe it or not there are large differences between an oil designed for heavy duty diesels and an oil designed for use in motorcycles.
except T6 is certified tested JASO MA & JASO MA II, which is certified to work on wet clutches... of course every bike is different and some do have temperamental gear boxes

i've been running it for 2.5 seasons and aside from Amsoil, there is no smoother feeling on the gearbox when shifting than i experience with T6,

i did run Motul semi-synth and i fvcking hated it... very notchy feel on the shifting and could never find neutral :2cents

no such thing with T6, so i'm very happy with it... i've done some research and T6 rottella was tested by Amsoil themselves proving its still well within

spec at 8k kms to 9k kms... yes most manuals recommend an oil swap every 12k, i always do mine at 8k kms or 5k miles regardless

You are 100% correct. Although, I've actually had questionable engine noises from Lucas. Amzoil has a dealer on this forum, tested better oil, cheaper price. But yeah, I question a diesel oil in an engine with shared gearbox, and wet clutch, used for any more than 2000 kms. This is why I buy new so don't have to worry about the shit previous owners put in engines.
i've discussed T6 with a large number of R1 owners and I find there is a good chunk of them who run nothing but T6, i did like Amsoil but its just too expensive

·
independent Amsoil dealer
2,295 Posts
Rotella has the highest viscosity out of all the oils. It also breaks down the quickest. I've been running Amsoil in my bikes for a few years. Less maintenance.I usually do double if not tripple the recommended intervals, had the oil tested, and results came back great. The wear they found was normal as if I had done the oil changes at regular intervals of 5000km.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
Rotella has the highest viscosity out of all the oils. It also breaks down the quickest. I've been running Amsoil in my bikes for a few years. Less maintenance.I usually do double if not tripple the recommended intervals, had the oil tested, and results came back great. The wear they found was normal as if I had done the oil changes at regular intervals of 5000km.
I'll have to give it a try next time! I got a good deal on Redline and was impressed, but I like that Amsoil does such a good job supporting motorsports at all levels.

·
lover of twins
6,071 Posts
mobil 1 synthetic on sale

canadian tire has mobil 1 synthetic on sale for $29 for a 4.4L jug today till sunday march 20th

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Carefull, Mobil makes a dozen different blends not all are compatible with wet clutches.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Carefull, Mobil makes a dozen different blends not all are compatible with wet clutches.
good to know i'll keep an eye out.. i always do though

is this the one you speak of OP? Mobil 1 Racing 4T Advanced Synthetic 4 Cycle Motorcycle Oil, 10W-40

oh, uhhm.. yeah doesnt look like it, this appears to be Automotive oil blend, not for MOtorcycles..

they also have 0W40 available but again, automotive only

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/oil-oil-additives/engine-oil/synthetic/mobil-1-synthetic-motor-oil-4-4l-0289424p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=Default&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

·
lover of twins
6,071 Posts
true! should have said that it needs to have say meets or exceeds JASO MA on the bottle.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
true! should have said that it needs to have say meets or exceeds JASO MA on the bottle.
yes, that is what i always look for as some manufacturers dont specifically label 'em for bikes..

from above.!
Recommended for gasoline, propane and E-85 fuelled cars and light duty trucks where an oil meeting API SN or a previous API category is specified

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
yes, that is what i always look for as some manufacturers dont specifically label 'em for bikes..

from above.!
Recommended for gasoline, propane and E-85 fuelled cars and light duty trucks where an oil meeting API SN or a previous API category is specified
Make sure you pick one that doesn't have friction modifiers for wet clutches .

No issues here with a dry clutch

141 - 160 of 177 Posts