BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

The BIG OIL thread....all inclusive

143K views 176 replies 60 participants last post by  Acuracura 
#1 ·
There are way too many oil threads started in a year, and most lead down a similar path of debate and frustration.

So, ALL oil related threads/posts will be contained within this area going forward.

Feel free to discuss the exciting merits of syn for not? Fantastic winter oil options? All this plus more, enjoy!

See less See more
#45 ·
#50 ·
Just a heads up for you Rotella Users, Advanced Auto Parts, selling for $11 a jug

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...T3_0_0_0&cm_mmc=aff-_-cj-_-4485850-_-10711125

Coupon code "dow9"

Check out and pick up in store to avoid shipping fees
Here's my breakdown from receipt:
Order Summary
Product Subtotal: $22.99
Discounts: -$6.90
Shipping Charges: $0.00
Total: $16.09

Submit rebate online for $5 to make it $11.09

http://www.shell.com/rotella/promotions/t6-spring-promotion.html

AFAIK, Advance Auto Parts is an eastern chain, and they don't ship this item, either. And the rebate is available only in the USA.

#47 ·
Ok, so Motorcycle oil vs Car oil?

Went to CT and all they had was Motorcycle Mobile 1 10w40 synthetic in the 1L bottles (I actually need 5w40). Unfortunately they didn't have anything else.

Do people use that Rotella engine oil in their bikes? I've always used Dino oil or semi synthetic for my other bikes and never had a problem, but the K1300R is in a different class than what I've owned before.....

#51 ·
I've seen it at CT for a decent price, during oil sales. Good prices on car oil as well. I've seen this oil for sale at marine shop across from the Brit MC dealer on Powell St.

#57 ·
Last year I scored a great deal on semi synth oil and a new helmet at Kreator in Kelowna. I bought 8 litres of Semi Synth Castrol 20/50 m/c oil and anew flip front helmet for roughly $88 taxes in. The lid was 75% off and they took and additional 75% off at the till! The oil was $5 litre.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough as I was sure they had f'ed up.

That's all I got to add.

#59 ·
The lid was about $40 pre tax and regular price I think was $175? I even questioned her, as I fear karma. Nope, that was the price: 75% off and another 75% at the till.

The oil was a smoking deal. I cleaned him out. If he'd more than 8 I would've taken them all. The clutch in the Triumph can be picky too but so far it likes this oil.

#60 ·
You have to jump on these "calculating errors". I once showed up at a garage warehouse of a retiring ELF dealer in Vancouver. I bought 16- 12 litre cases of oil at his asking price of $3.90/litre, for ELF 15w-50 full synthetic JASO MA/APIspec SG bike oil. Sold 75% of it on Craig's for 10$/litre. Didn't have to buy any for 5 yrs.

#61 ·
Just ordered a case (4, 4 litre jugs) of my fave oil for $7.60 litre from my local PetroCan bulk dealer.
Duron E Synthetic 10/40. Classified as "suitable" for JasoMa.
Still a good bang for the buck, high spec 10/40
I've been using Duron oils for about 10 years in a variety of bikes. I think every bike I've owned called for 10/40.

#62 ·
That price is loads cheaper than the royal purple I am burning.

You think there is enough advantage to burning less expensive oil?

Folks following receive less cancer causing agents perhaps?

#68 ·
I just bought a 97 Kawasaki ZX9R and did my first oil change as well as changed the sparkplugs. I am an automotive mechanic and I get to use my shop discount to get oil. I used Lucas 20W50 Full Synthetic oil and Iridium Spark plugs. I got the oil for $10/Ltr. as opposed to $18/ltr at Canadian Tire. For $40 I'm gonna stick to Lucas Synthetic. Haven't noticed any difference in performance but it's not for me to notice, the oils for the engine.

#69 ·
Buying oil in the USA

So I just bought 4.4l of Mobil 1 0W20 Full synthetic. The oil seems to be more pricey than the rest $48. Then I checked the US Wallmart and its $24.97 for 5 quarts. Any thoughts. Am I missing something because I'm thinking I need to return this and make an early trip to Bellingham.

#71 ·
So I just bought 4.4l of Mobil 1 0W20 Full synthetic. The oil seems to be more pricey than the rest $48. Then I checked the US Wallmart and its $24.97 for 5 quarts. Any thoughts. Am I missing something because I'm thinking I need to return this and make an early trip to Bellingham.
Yeah, I hope this is for your car. 0W20 definitely has friction modifier additives, not good at all for wet clutches in bikes. And, IMO, 10W40 is the absolute minimum viscosity I'd ever put in a motorcycle engine.

#70 ·
Assuming you have a wet clutch, make sure the oil is rated for such and does NOT have the friction modifiers.

I just replaced a clutch recently and think that's exactly what caused it to burn out......car oil.

All quality motorcycle specific oils should also carry the JASO Motorcycle Specifications, which are either the JASO-MA specification (no friction modifiers) or the JASO-MB specification (with friction modifiers). The JASO-MA rating specifies that no friction modifiers are used. Note that the JASO-MB motorcycle does have friction modifiers, but is designed for motorcycles that specify the JASO-MB specification. If the oil does not carry one of these specifications, even if the other specifications listed above are present, We recommend finding an oil that has the proper JASO specification clearly labeled on the bottle.

#77 ·
Honda/Full Synthetic vers Semi or Dyno Oil

Actually this refers to the BlacKBird but maybe all Hondas. The Brits swear by no full synthetic in the Bird. My closest friend rides a Bird and is blowing a bit of blue smoke. The local tech said its cause of full synthetic. I call BS. Have any Honda riders encountered an official bulletin from Honda re Synthetic Oil in their bike? Motor oil Product Lubricant Fluid Brake

#82 ·
Actually this refers to the BlacKBird but maybe all Hondas. The Brits swear by no full synthetic in the Bird. My closest friend rides a Bird and is blowing a bit of blue smoke. The local tech said its cause of full synthetic. I call BS. Have any Honda riders encountered an official bulletin from Honda re Synthetic Oil in their bike?
I noticed that semi-synthetic seemed to burn less than full synthetic or full dino on the vstrom. Ran Motul 5100 as the semi-synthetic.

As for the Rotella T6, I had very buttery smooth shifts on the GSX-R and the ZX10 and it also slightly lowered their running temps.

#78 ·
my old man has run synthetic on his VTX1800, it should be mentioned he had an issue with the starter clutch go bad but it seems
to be pretty common on that model as i found similar threads online and most of them had not run anything but semi synth or oem oil..

i've got several friends who have owned different bikes from honda and yamaha and they always run T6 Rotella Shell Synthetic heavy duty 5w40, it is tested and certified JASOMA & JASOMA2..

i have used it all season on my R1 and im very happy with it... this winter oil change on both VTX1800 Trike & R1 will see Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic :coffee

i ran MOtul 5100 last year and i hated the gear-shifts, very clunky and far from smooth i did not like it one bit, specially considering what the bloody stuff costs..

i ran Amsoil synthetic b4 but its too damn expensive... i didnt have any negative experiences with it though...

#83 ·
ditto for the CB1000R. however, I use Motul 5100: no issues, zero consumption, smooth shifts and light clutch...
the manual also specifies 12,000 km oil change intervals, but I just can't bring myself to run it that long, so I do 8000's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.