BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else figure later in life they'll make the switch to the classic "retirement" motorcycle?

I've always said i'd ride a sporty bike as long as possible, but really later in life the comforts of those buses especially for long distances is gonna look appealing.

Wing' Video Part 1 (thanks to Fun4some51 for the find)

WATCH THIS Wing VIDEO (part2)

After watching that, they actually look pretty cool:laughing

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
That's exactly how I remember The Dragon!
uh, except i was going slower.
and i didn't have a bike with a camera following me.
(nice peg scraping noises though)

·
Registered
248 Posts
hahah thats awsome, reminds me of a story Dat was saying about this retired racer who drives one, and when he brings it to the track he puts a passenger on the back and rips it up past all the amateurs.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
I suspect the closest i'll ever get is an ST1300, FJR1300, or whatever the popular equivalent is once I outgrow the "sportier" bikes. I could never own a Goldwing, mostly because i've given my dad too much grief over owning one. :)

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
some kind of standard or maybe a cruiser, but no goldwing.
just can't make myself like looking at more hard-luggage than bike.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I always thought a Wing would be stupid , but after riding a few there pretty cool. The stereo and seating position makes you want to hit the road and go to Calgary. The handle good at speed but take a bit to get use to in a parking lot, especially the reverse.

·
yorkshire sheep shagger
535 Posts
Once I can't drag my old arse onto my 12 anymore, I might consider something more couchy, but maybe not a Goldwing straight away, maybe something 1/2 way prior to going into full retirement..... Maybe a 10r:laughing

·
Registered
135 Posts
i got to ride an 02 or 03 for about a month , it was the sweetest bike ever. dont get me wrong i like sport bikes and such , but fuck me , the bike handles like nobody's buisness , you can crank tunes and smoke without even a hint of wind . it's got balls too , if they werent so expensive i'd buy one right now and peace out to brazil. whoever says they suck has never ridden one.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
HSC said:
you can crank tunes and smoke without even a hint of wind .
Thats what cars are for.
If my old ass cant ride a sportsbike, then its time to cash in the savings for a ferrari.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
The Z1000 is sort of my "in between" bike. But a few years back I test rode the big Beemer Wing beater K1200LT. My feelings following the ride were that if that was the only sort of bike I could ride that I'd rather just buy a new pickup truck.

I'd have to see what the new generation Wing's are like but my own feeling is that if I could not be comfy on a naked bike or with something at least lighter feeling than that tank of an LT that I'd just buy a sportscar and carry on.

As one buddy of mine reffered to them "A Gold Wing is just a car with a poor sense of balance".

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
I wish I had a goldwing right now. I'd be fawking OUT OF HERE. Cruising somewhere the southcoast of the states, maybe mexico...

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I love the Goldwings, and one day will own one. Not quite sure what kind of milestone I need to reach before I buy one, though. Maybe age, likely disposable income, because I'd still love to own a pure sportbike and an ass-kicking cruiser, as well as a 'Wing, all at the same time. :thumbup

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
hahah thats awsome, reminds me of a story Dat was saying about this retired racer who drives one, and when he brings it to the track he puts a passenger on the back and rips it up past all the amateurs.
This sounds like my friend Mike Bowman (John's dad). I've been out with him, and he can rip on his old 'wing.

I wonder if this video was taken by a man that I met while up at Mt.St.Helen's. He takes video of people doing "the Dragon", and he used to have an old wing with the footpegs ground down to nubs from doing that road. We took the "windy staircase road" down from Mt.St.Helen's south towards Oregon, and it looked much like this one, only it wasn't as wide. Awesome ride.

I don't think that I'd ever own a 'wing, simply because it's too large and heavy for my short stature. My VFR800 is perfect for me, lots of handling (can keep up with friends on gixxers on the Green Mtn. road, right Vince?:eek ), and can take a crap load of stuff in the hard bags.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Remember William Conrad in his TV show in the early 70's? "Cannon."
He was later the star of "Jake and the Fat man."

Cannon drove a Lincoln Continental Mark?, which was a very large 2 door auto, billed as a "personal luxury car."
Huge, with acres of sheet metal in every direction. Similarly, I owned an early '70's Cadillac Eldorado. Huge, with sheet metal in every direction.
A total waste of resources of every kind, including the poor bovine that sacrificed it's (their?) hide(s) for the interior.
The Gold Wing is a lot like those car. At a glance, they are big, heavy, excessive and irresponsible.
And then you ride one and think, "hey, this isn't so bad. smooth, quiet, handles spritely for a motorcycle it's size and weight."
I never, ever thought I'd own one, but now, I think I made an appropriate choice. I'm not that old, I'm not too fat, but I do like my comforts, and that's where this motorcycle excels.
The BMW K1200LT is its only real competitor as a luxury motorcycle (LT= Light Truck), and I believe they have a more sophisticated suspension. The Honda excels in the engine department though.
Either way, they're not for everybody, but they are surprisingly capable of making impressive progress.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,731 Posts
THe wing was a bike I never wanted. I have had a BMW K1200LT but when it fell down at Laguna Seca - turn 5 I needed a new bike for the Iron BUtt Rally

I did not want a Wing for so many reasons Old man's bike etc

With a little work on the suspension Works Performance rear shock ,and having Race Tech build a new front end and adding a super brace the bike handles really well.

I know tomorrow I could get on it, ride to Key West and back and it would never miss a beat. I can run 20 hours a day at 80+ run on regular gas and it handles well enough for my limited skills.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a 1800 Wing to go alongside my Zx10 and positively love it.I get on it and can go forever.Everyone that has ridden it has come back pleasantly suprised at the power and handling.And as far as it being a old mans bike,well,Are you buying a bike for what it looks like in front of Starbucks or to ride?:coffee

·
Registered
135 Posts
newbusa said:
And as far as it being a old mans bike,well,Are you buying a bike for what it looks like in front of Starbucks or to ride?:coffee

My thoughts exactly , you cant knock em till you try em . they'll put a bigger smile on your face then any sportbike could. however if your scared of being emasculated by riding one , its only fair you stick to your premisconceptions and stay riding your sportbike from hot spot to hot spot. Goldwings are the shit.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Can you imagine how teched out Wings are going to be when we all reach retirement age (for me another 30 years)?

I totally forsee myself getting into it when I'm an old bastard. I already find myself eyeballing FJ's and ST's and I'm not even 40 yet.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts