BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on cycleforums, but here it is again for those new to the sport who are shopping for a helmet and think that they absolutely need to buy Arai. :

I used to absolutely adore the name "Arai" because it's a big name in racing, it's the most expensive so it HAS to be the best, all the local cool guys and girls have em, ppl have Arai stickers on their bikes and backpacks and stuff..... so of course I had to buy one.

But after really knowing the bike industry and community, I realized it's "ok" to not have Arai. Especially after the stunt they pulled with the internet sales, and finding out how good other helmets are for a fraction of the cost, I don't think my next helmet will be an Arai unless I get a REALLY good deal on one.

If I were to choose again, I'd probably go with a KBC VR-1, but first I'd try out all the helmets ROOF included definitely.

I'm not saying Arai helmets are bad (far from it), but just letting people know it's ok to look at other helmets if money may be an issue and image is not.

·
9,052 Posts
Grab and Arai, turn it upside down, place hand on either side grasping the sides and push /pull.............feel the flex?

Now do the same thing on a less expensive helmet................boing! Very flexy = cheap thin materials.

Usually visor designs are much more durable on better helmets as well. Suomy's for example have a tendancy to pop off.........with an Arai, you can abuse the visor, flipping it up and down without worry of it coming loose.

·
Ridin Dirrty
643 Posts
Ahhh I feel so much better now *grabs and hugs Arai helm*

Seriously, the only complaint I have about Arais is the noise levels at speed. Gotta wear earplugs or you'll lose your hearing!

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,783 Posts
...but arai has pretty pictures painted on the side...

...really nice to look at while drinking coffee, I'm sure.

gimme a bucket with two holes cut out, I'll start my own over-priced helmet company!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mischa said:
Steve Crevier wears an HJC. Now really...do I need an Arai? Most definetly not!
Can you say 'sponsor'?

I like arai's. I'll stick with them - they fit my head good. I've tried others and not been nearly as satisfied with fit and finish.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Helmet shells don't mean shit. I've been wearing helemts every day of my life since 1982. The saving grace is in the chin strap and the foam type/construction inside. Imagine a carbon fibre helmet with feathers for foam padding. Wear that at 299 kph?

I own a KBC VR-1 Euro and WILL not pay more than $500 for a helmet.

·
Ridin Dirrty
643 Posts
If they're both DOT & SNELL approved I'm thinking all brands measure up equal in terms of protection. So I guess it really comes down to fit and comfort. Too bad I gots a more expensiver shaped noggin

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, the only thing to look for in a helmet is DOT or SNELL approval...and of coz fit.

·
Chancellor of Horsepower
299 Posts
F4! said:
yea, the only thing to look for in a helmet is DOT or SNELL approval...and of coz fit.
Not necessarily. Just because two different helmets both pass DOT and SNELL does not mean they have equal protective properties. DOT and SNELL are just minimum standards tests.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
RoadRacing World did a study of head injuries received in motorcycle accidents. For the helmet brands where they had sufficient data, there was no significant difference in the injury rates.

·
Vicious Little Tree Rat
4,393 Posts
I love my Arai. I fits great, and so very comfortable. I find that the Arai's have cushier paddng than any other helmet brand. I've tried on other brands, and found IMHO that Shoei's tend to be a little harder and the padding doesn't quite complete in the cheek/jaw area - better for longer faced people. KBC's are a little heavier, but a sharp looking helmet, especially the chrome one (very Battlestar Galactica Cylon). Sharks are innovative, but seem a bit big and bulky.

The visor mechanism in the Arai is simple to use. But then so are the Shoei, HJC and KBC. The Shark ones are interesting, as they have three different mechanisms, and their visor thickness is heavier. I like the fact that I could invert the visor on my knee. Talk about strong Polycarbonate. If they put in that much effort into the visor, the lid must be pretty safe.

I agree that the Arai's and even the Shoei, and now the Sharks are a bit over priced, but I know the attention to rider comfort is there.

"One man's meat is another man's poison." BUY FIT!!!

:p

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Double R said:
If they're both DOT & SNELL approved I'm thinking all brands measure up equal in terms of protection. So I guess it really comes down to fit and comfort. Too bad I gots a more expensiver shaped noggin

:D...too bad for me too!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
adamantium said:
Can you say 'sponsor'?

I like arai's. I'll stick with them - they fit my head good. I've tried others and not been nearly as satisfied with fit and finish.
No shit sherlock. :p I know its his sponsor. But if they were such crap, I'm sure he wouldn't wear them while racing. Just trying to make a point that I don't see how to justify paying for a helmet at that price.

·
Balgony, not Bologna!
607 Posts
Mischa said:
No shit sherlock. :p I know its his sponsor. But if they were such crap, I'm sure he wouldn't wear them while racing. Just trying to make a point that I don't see how to justify paying for a helmet at that price.
"No Shit Sherlock"
Thats funny:laughing

·
Passer of Harps
3,724 Posts
My new Shoei is miles ahead of my also fairly new HJC in fit and finish. The Arai's i tried on didn't seem to be worth the extra money. They did have softer padding but that was the only noticeable difference i saw. I guess it boils down to what fits you best

·
BBQ Squadron Member
2,739 Posts
It's the one piece of equipment you don't want to buy cheap on.
Fit, Finish, DOT, Snell, comfort, graphic...
everything counts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts