BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LCP and I recently had an amazing 2 weeks in California, and I've finally gotten well enough organized to post up. I'll add a series of 'replies' and fill in the details as time permits over the next few days... Enjoy!

p.s. this is my first experience with the new google maps (which I'm not finding as user-friendly for route planning as the classic version) and with 'My Maps', so please let me know if you have trouble viewing them.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Day 1: Sacramento to Sonora

Overnite drive to Sacramento: 1500 kms, 17 1/2 hrs, no sleep stops.
Load bikes for touring; deposit SUV and trailer at RV storage (rivercityRVstorage; excellent, enclosed, $15 per day).
Short ride to Sonora, more-or-less just to get movin'...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kK-6lF1N9I0o&usp=sharing

...and away we go!

We (well actually ... "I') had made my typically optimistic estimate of (a) when we could get away and (b) how long it'd take to drive 1500 kms. in the end the answer was (a) a couple hours later than I thought and (b) about 3 hours longer than I reckoned. so, seeing the RV storage place closed at 4pm, we just drove. not bad, actually. Peter took the tough shift, thru the small hours, and across the boring road in Oregon. a couple pillows, a fleece blanket, and a set of air-line eye-shades and decent rest was had.

I really had no idea what to do about leaving a vehicle for several days in a 'foreign' town (mostly I just get on the bike and go...), but Peter's idea of an RV storage unit was spot on. cheap, secure, convenient.

The original plan was to stay in Sacramento the first nite, but with us setting up early , we decided to 'get outa town'. Sonora seemed a reasonable destination, and phone call secured a room - a much easier proposition BEFORE Memorial Day than after...

the route was I-50 east to Latrobe Road; SE down that about 30kms (very nice, altho casual); then onto the legendary CA49 for the final 80km or so to Sonora.

a good excuse to travel! a decent bottle of Merlot, and change back from $3!!!

we stayed at the Rodeway Inn, USD108. pleasant enough, and half a block off he main intersection in town. Dinner at the Diamondback Grill on the main street was great! an excellent burger, and a "Shiraz you can't see thru"! ...altho Peter failed to tempt our (married) server into further amusement...

the breakfast was the typical bun and coffee crap, but we got into a highly intriguing conversation with a couple guys who were in town with the rodeo! Keith is the stock handler - talks about his animals like the manager or coach of any professional sports team. some are 'on the way up' but need experience; others are kinda past their prime, but still have the moves. they tour from March till October, then have a bit of a winter break. very cool... and Chuck, the sound guy, travels with a (if I remember it right) a CBF250, and rides all over the back country every chance he gets. I had no idea...

nice town, overall.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Day 2: Sonora to Oakhurst via Yosemite

400kms, 7 1/2 hours

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kQnhMa7NDJCo&usp=sharing

I had been to Yosemite as climber a couple times 'in the old days', and I'd been thru there once on a bike too, so I was aware that it's one of the most spectacular spot on earth! It's only a short trip down 49 to the northern entry, CA120 thru Groveland. the first few miles of that route are spectacularly good, twisting up out of the main valley onto the plateau. then it's sweeper-city for mile after mile, getting high enough that there were remnants of snow in the forest beside the road. and despite this being a Sunday, the traffic was delightfully light.

entry to Yosemite

Yosemite is without parallel, anywhere on the planet.

getting out of the Valley was even better than getting in: down the Merced Canyon on CA140, virtually without traffic. a lovely ride...

From Mariposa we doubled back north on one of the great sections of CA49, to Coulterville. the section above Lake McLure is awesome...

our break in Coulterville coincided with that of a young German on a bicycle, on his way across the USA. to me, he seemed rather clueless, but I'm sure he'll have the adventure of a life-time.

out west of Coulterville, you drop out of the 'hilly' foothills into the 'slopey' foothills. turning south on Merced Falls Road, the views open across grassy ranchland down into the Central Valley - and there's NO ONE around. hundred mile per hour ripping ensued... didn't even impress the cows... cuz there were none...

[/url]

where the road cuts back east (Hornitos Rd), we crossed paths with 4 Mexican American guys on sport bikes taking a break in the shade of tree, who we'd earlier seen wailing on it southbound over by Coulterville (the 4 guys, not the tree). they were out of Modesto, and agreed this was a cool place to come wind it out.

we returned to Mariposa and carried on to Oakhurst for the nite. I had earlier talked our way out a prebooked reservation at The Oakhurst Lodge ( I was sure we'd get further that day - ever the optimist!), so I was pretty sure there'd be a room available when we pulled up (USD 110): very nice, very clean, very convenient... and not very busy, this time of year... dinner around the corner at DiCiccos was excellent!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Day 3: Oakhurst to Kernville via Sequoia

525kms, 9 hrs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.k0JL-brG_WjE&usp=sharing

the objective for the day was to ride the west side of the Sierras. the start was a bunch of 'goat-tracking' on obscure roads SE of Oakhurst. California is full of stuff like this: paved, secondary, some mediocre surfaces, unpredictable. not fast, but intense. a joy to ride, if you're 'on your game'...

Auberry Road

Trimmer Springs Road

Elwood Road

eventually, we emerged onto CA180 eastbound up into the mountain to Sequoia Park. (there's gas just near Dunlap). the sweepers on this highway are simply delicious, btw!

as lead guide, I totally blew the right turn at Wilsonia and we rode about 20 miles east out the dead-end towards Kings Canyon before recognizing the mistake and turning back. nice road, tho...

the General's Highway crosses the high country of Sequoia Park, passing thru several grove of E-NOR-MOUS trees. you COULD rip it thru here, I suppose, but it's a National Park with a 40 mph limit, and the scenery is spectacular - better to just flow along and enjoy.

big trees! (no; correction: frikkking enormous trees!)

the reward for your patience is the descent from Moro Rock, at the south end of the traverse. the road drops about 5000 ft in roughly 10 miles, with about 130 curves (my count from a map) and 18 switchbacks. it was tempting to turn around and run it back up, then down again! this is WAY more challenging than the 'famous' Stelvio Pass in the Alps! (which, admittedly, is more photogenic...)

I really badly wanted to ride Yokohl Valley Rd, east of Visalia - a photo in a post that Stuart Smith (RubHerDown) had put up a few years ago had captured my imagination - but in the end it was a bit of a disappointment. Parts were good (if a bit 'goaty'), but parts were badly busted up - not recommended!

We ran out CA190 to Porterville, then south on 65, just to cover ground... (and cuz I missed the angling short-cut). CA 155 to Isabella Lake is one of my favorites. Easy-going, then a bit twistier as you reach the lowest hills, then continuously tight up into the heights, and finally tighter yet on the drop back to the Lake. Great road - with a pleasant break available at the bar in Glennville.

We stayed at the Kernville Lodge, which is excellent, spotless, and 'funky', altho a place you should go with your wife, not your riding buddy! (USD 132.50).

Dinner was next door at the Kern River Brewing Company. (Ewing's, just down on the river, was recommended... maybe next time.)

The day started the following morning at The Cracked Egg, downtown, which is THE place in town for breakfast. As is typical when travelling, conversation with the locals took place, this time with a fellow who had worked at the power plant for 30 years, and who had a ton of arcane knowledge about generators and wear and flow and water and... well, it was interesting stuff! Learn something new every day!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Day 4: Kernville to Salinas via PCH

640kms, 10 hrs

[https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kgqAM29KMqQY&usp=sharing]

The first 'chunk' of our trip was a circle tour, down the west side of the Sierras, across the 'bottom' , then back north along the coast. And the first leg consists of exiting from Kernville out Kern Canyon to Bakersfield. Sounds simple, but...

We hit 'the highway' from Lake Isabella, and within a couple miles, the situation didn't jive with my memories. One, the road was on the north side of the river, and my memories had it on the south ide. Second, the highway was open and 'boring' and I recalled some great tight sections. So, I stopped. I could see the trace of another road higher up on the opposite side, and I reckoned I must have missed this secondary route. So, we went back the few miles and found the 'other' road.

Lo and behold! This was a road I had NEVER travelled before, the 'Old' Kern Canyon Road from Bodfish. It's excellent, altho there had recently been a big thunderstorm / downpour and this had left a fair amount of sand on parts of the pavement. Still, very much worth doing!

After about 15km, we rejoined CA178, just at the start of the twisty sections I recalled, and had a splendid ride out to the flats at Bakersfield.

There followed a long drone across the Central Valley on CA58 to McKittrick - gosh, is there ever a LOT of agricultural land in California, drought or not! Further slight mis-adventure ensued, as there is no gas in McK, so we veered south to Taft. Then momentum simply carried us further south and we hit the coast via CA166 - the original plan had been to follow 58 all the way, and it would have been a far nicer ride, but 166 is acceptable.

Eventually we reached San Luis Obispo, and shortly thereafter the coast at Morro Bay.

The south coast is superb, of course, but I had been spoiled by several jaunts on the north coast, which is wilder and far, far longer. Still, the PCH takes some beating for a combination of
stunning scenery and entertaining riding.

The 'fun' is over in about 2 1/2 hours, once you reach Big Sur. Then we just poked along trying to figure out where to stay, eventually deciding upon Salinas, a very plain agricultural town with a large selection of cheap motels - also the home of John Steinbeck... and also somewhere near where Bobby McGee slipped away...

Home for the nite was the Economy Inn (USD78.00), and decent pub food was consumed at a pseudo-Brit-pub-style Salinas Sports Tavern within walking distance. Breakfast at Norma's the following morning was classic local small-town fare. Delightful!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Day 5: Salinas to Sacramento via Mt Hamilton Rd; and Placerville

400 kms, 6 hrs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.k-EAIdIA0zoM&usp=sharing

This was to be a short day, as we needed to get back to Sacramento to recover the truck and trailer, then move to Placerville before Peter disappeared to a business meeting at Lake Tahoe for a couple days. Despite the shortened schedule and 'mild' expectations, it turned out to be one of favorite days of the trip.

We started north to Watsonville, then hit our first 'backroad' thru Hecker Pass. There was paving in a couple sections, and this had the advantage of allowing us to filter to the front of the line, thereby eliminating any traffic issues whatsoever. The ride itself is really nice, with the descent almost having a Pacific Northwest feel. Then you break out into rolling cattle, horse, and wine country south of San Jose - unexpectedly beautiful, replete with fine roads, and surprisingly unpopulated, considering the proximity of Silicon Valley. Uvas Road was 'the key'... and somewhere thru here, we blundered into the midst of a flock of wild turkeys on and beside the road, who seemed not the slightest disturbed by us. But wait till Thanksgiving!

We got San Jose itself via another back-route: up Metcalf Rd, then down San Felipe Rd - both very nice.

And then it was Mount Hamilton, which a cyber-friend on the CB1000R forum had turned me on to. Oh my goodness! 30 klicks; 4000 feet of ascent; supposedly 365 turns, with plenty of near-switchbacks; good pavement, bordering on perfect for the finishing, twistiest 10 kms. Great views. Pristine grasslands and oak forest. Heaven...

The view from low on Mt Hamilton Rd; much too busy higher to take photos...

What goes up.... needs to come down! San Antonio Valley Rd drops east from the top, with not-quite-as-stellar pavement and dozens of tight pretty-steep downhill turns to challenge your fortitude.

Eventually the valley is reached, then the road swings north. You can continue, out to Livermore, along Mines Rd, which is nice, but we turned right, down Del Puerto Canyon Rd, to get out to I-5 at Patterson. The pavement and 'character' of this road is a bit variable, but it's quite different to either Mt Hamilton or San Antonio, so rounds out the day with a third strong 'experience'.

Once out to I-5, only a couple hours of droning separated us from retrieving the vehicle. We loaded, then moved an hour or so east to Placerville. I wanted to stay low, cuz the mid-May temps up at Tahoe were not much above freezing - and a good thing I did, too, cuz it snowed pretty hard at 7000 feet and above while he was up there.

We deposited ourselves in the Gold Country Inn, which was clean and comfortable (about USD 115 / nite). Placerville is an ideal base for a lot of good riding, but while there are a number of great restaurants downtown, the whole town is strung out linearly, so it's quite a walk from the motel to dinner. Still, a good meal is made better with a good drink, and I don't do that and ride, so shank's mares did their duty. First nite I ate at the upscale 'Independent'; which was excellent; next nite I slummed it at Mel's Diner ( as made famous by the TV series Alice and the movie American Graffitti ), which was - value for money - better. Third and fourth nites Peter and I enjoyed the "Heyday", a very fine spot to get an interesting dinner, a fine glass of wine, and an entertaining conversation with the owner, the servers, and some of the other guests. All recommended...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Days 6&7: Placerville

only 250kms, 4hrs (poor weather) ; next day: a flat!!!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kSZZCD9PAGr8&usp=sharing

the original plan had been for both of us to go up to Lake Tahoe, but it was running barely over freezing overnite, so I stayed low. and the weather was a bit scappy too...

Thursday: first I stopped by the shop I had pre-arranged to get my tires changed on Saturday, only to discover they were going to be closed that day cuz of the big nationals motocross taking place nearby. good thing I decided to check in - they claimed to have tried to contact me, but my cell phone logged no incoming calls from their number... ah well, an arrangement was made to do the work on the Friday. then I went riding.

CA49 north of Placerville is superb, in a pleasant, flowing, non-aggressive manner.

There's even a bit of history: Coloma, site of Sutter's Mill, and the beginnings of the California Gold Rush in 1848, lies not far up the road. And just near Auburn, there's a lovely old railroad bridge, completely overshadowed by the Foresthills Bridge, highest span in the world when it was opened, and a place Peter had base-jumped off of back in the days when playing with gravity, the wind, and the ground were 'his thing'.

I rode east from Auburn, but missed my turning in Foresthills towards French Meadows and ended up running a long straight boring slowly-elevating forest highway till the first spatters of rain turned me around. On the way home, I diverted to Georgetown, which was worthwhile. The final 6 or 8 kms into Placerville are a real delight, with a super-curvey road dropping to the river, then back up the far side similarly. I enjoyed it enough that I ran it out and back again.

Peter arrived back from talking money mid-dayish Friday, having had to forge his way thru the aftermath of a blizzard on the pass between Tahoe and P'ville. Once I'd recovered my wheels with their fresh rubber ( Diablo Corsas - Thunderhill was next!), I remounted them and we set off for a short afternoon jaunt. 15 miles out, my rear went flat! The mechanic had felt the need to replace the valve stem 9which is acceptable) but didn't replace like with like - he installed a normal length stem, and with my single sided swingarm, there wasn't clearance to the brake caliper. It took a while, but eventually the valve failed. Luckily it was still just mid-afternoon and there was time for Peter to ride back to town, grab the truck and trailer, rescue me, and get to the shop before they closed. Lesson learned...

The day was pretty much a write off, but we did discover a great place to eat: Heyday's. Excellent food, great wines, good conversation, attractive clientele... much to enjoy!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Day 8: Wentworth Springs loop

410kms, 7 hrs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kboku13Jo2YY&usp=sharing

This phase of the trip was a good illustration of the wisdom of Dwight Eisenhower's words that "Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable".

We had 'plans' to ride several 'out-and-back' excursions thru Sierras passes, but the cold and high-country snow and generally unsettled weather necessitated changes. So we stayed low...

Luckily there is a plethora of routes available out of Placerville.

CA193 north of Placerville towards Georgetown

Wentworth Springs Road was our first destination, and while it got high enough to be chilly, the snow on the next set of ridges was another thousand feet higher.

The descent on the somewhat aptly named Icehouse Road was tighter than Wentworth, with reasonable but not excellent pavement.

Back west a bit, we launched off down Sky Park Drive, which leads into finer and fairer countryside the further southwest you go.

Further south again came one of the highlights of the entire trip: CA 26 from Mokelumne Hill to West Point (25 kms). Perfect pavement, tight enough corners to have to slow some (i.e., not sweepers) but not tight enough to go first gear or anything, little traffic... The only negative is poor lines of sight, cuz the road is tight up against a bank thru many of the corners. We rode out, took a break, and repeated it another two times - SU-PERB!

a shakey photo - sorry - pretty busy riding there for a bit...

We took off east up CA88 towards Carson Pass, but soon ran into spatters of rain and damp pavement, so turned tail. Then we took the first reasonable looking 'short-cut' branching northwest, which turned out to be Omo Ranch Rd.. and here the rain caught us. Still, the riding was really entertaining, and we eventually found our way back to Placerville...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Days 9&10: Willows

move to Willows CA; a short loop: 200kms, 2 1/2 hrs.
then Peter did a 2-day loop on the North Coast and wine country; I did a track day at Thunderhill and a wine country tour (see day 11)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kYcO34dn_ONM&usp=sharing

We trailered over to Willows and settled into the Motel 6, which (as various BCSBers had advised) has recently been fully renovated, and is convenient, comfortable, clean, and only about $80 per nite. Once unpacked, we went for a little 'explore', and ended up running west up to Elk Creek, south to Stoner Creek, back out east to Colusa, and back up secondary roads thru rich agricultural lands beside the Sacramento River - pretty countryside...

Somewhere in there we ate at the Black Bear diner, which is... well, OK diner food... and somewhere else in there, we ate at La Casacada, right next door to Motel 6, and which serves EXCELLENT Mexican food! So good, in fact, we shared the place (and conversation) with the local sherrifs, which is a pretty good recommendation, right?

Monday, Peter lit off for the coast and wine country for a couple days, and I trailered up for Thunderhill. First time - kinda scared, to tell the truth... but by about the third session, I was feeling remarkably comfortable - then I ran into Rob Burch from Motofit, who I'd ridden with a couple times at ORP, and who had been amused? intrigued? baffled? by a mid-sixties guy (me) on a naked bike ( my old SV650; now my CB10000R) mixing it up with 'youths' on sportbikes. And he said "We gotta ride"! So we did - and while I couldn't really keep up, I DID learn a lot about lines - thank you Rob!

But in the 3rd session of the afternoon, on about the third lap, I started to make mistakes. I missed my lines; I blew my entry points; I got 'weird' on my tip-ins... I rode another two laps and the fuck-ups didn't go away... so I pulled into the pits, trailered up, and went home. I'd dragged the pegs both sides; I'd ridden my Corsas to the edges both sides; I'd driven thru turn 3 and turn 6 way harder and way more hangin' off and way faster and way to the outside on exit than I dreamed possible; I'd run right out to the edge of the pavement on 14 /15 onto the front straight; and I had not once been brave enough to run thru turn 8 full throttle... but I'd had a remarkable, full, cosmic day, and there was no reason to spoil it by throwing the bike away trying to do too much. I as cooked!

I had pizza that nite, store-bought at the Round Table and taken back to the motel - great pizza I gotta say, but the best part of the meal was chatting with the 86 year-old guy who was also waiting. He'd 'seen it all', of course, and had lots to say about the changes in the area over his lifetime. Didn't even sound likes he 'liked' the town that much, despite living there most of his life - too many farmers - too conservative - couldn't get anything done... boring... what a fine old gent...

mmmmm, gooooood. the reason one buys Corsas!

and another reason to buy Corsas:

major thanks btw to my wife, who dug my 'spare' pads out of a box in the basement and couriered them down to me. the pads looked OK before the trip, but the combination of extra weight with luggage, many miles, lotsa hard downhill braking, and... and, well, honestly, mis-estimation on my part... meant they were COOKED after the day at Thunderhill. changed 'em on the trailer that evening, before pizza. good to go!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Day 11: wine country

490 kms, 8 hrs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kG-9fFg8_b9o&usp=sharing

OK, so I gotta come clean here. I was scheduled to do two days at Thunderhill, even paid for them in advance... and I just couldn't do it, second time around. I'd had a great day, but all I could see outa going back was the potential for tossing it away, trying to 'do better'. So I didn't...

Besides, I envied Peter, getting to ride a bunch of the wine country that I hadn't seen, so I set off to see it!

CA 20 SW of Williams CA

CA16 NW of Madison

I'd heard great things about the road south of Lake Berrysea (pronounced bear-iss-ee-yah, btw), and this was good, good, good indeed.

The run up Popes Valley passes thru some lovely countryside, but the pavement is highly variable, with quite a bit of it pretty difficult to recommend. (Sorry, Peter)

By far the finest riding in this neck of the woods is across Stevenson Summit between Middletown and Calistoga, but I was so busy riding there ain't no pictures - so it didn't happen, right? Well, actually, there's one from at bottom, on the way back, but it's 'scenery' and nearly totally misses the flavour of the rippin' curveyness, both sides...

I rode to Cobb from Middletown (excellent); then down Bottle Rock Rd ( decent); back up CA175 to Loch Lomond (again decent); and out Lock Lomond Rd and Seigler Canyon Rd (the latter quite lovely) to Lower Lake and the highway.

Then it was back to Willows. Ah yes, that was the nite we had dinner at La Cascada. But was it that morning, or the next, when I had the long talk with the gent from Trail on the FJR ( a fellow chemist, as it happens)? He was just out to pick up a couple bottles of wine. So many miles, so many tales, such imperfect memories...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Days 12&13: Anderson, 36 & 299

THE classic of Nor Cal: 36 to the coast, 299 back. 660kms 8 hrs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.klERADbsE6B0&usp=sharing

CA36 west of Red Bluff. The 3D highway. It does not get better...

As it says, it does not get better. There is more variety to the 140 miles of CA36 west of Red Bluff to Fortuna than one has a right to expect in a week of riding... and that's just the morning!

Btw, with the gas station at Wildwood gone, it's 220kms from fuel in Red Bluff to Fortuna. But there's fuel in Hydesville, about 15km before that.

CA299 back east from Arcata has its own attractions... like, sweepers forever...

I really badly wanted to ride the Hayfork connection on the way back, and Peter didn't; so I did, and he didn't.

The bonus to this route is that you get to repeat much of the best riding on 36, back towards Red Bluff.

What a day!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Day 14: Cecilville

Another GREAT Nor Cal day: Cecilville return ( aka "Crazyville"). 495 kms 8 hrs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kS3gX7W0nb9E&usp=sharing

299 west to Weaverville - getting emasculated, but still a nice start to the day. Then 3 north to Callahan - sooo much good riding! THEN: it's gets better yet! 40kms of perfect pavement, perfect curves, perfect emptiness... A pleasant stop and a refuel at the Samon River Saloon, plus a long talk with one of the owners: Allegra. She and her husband, Monkey (that's right: "Monkey"; and their kids are named Phoenix and Zephyr - yup, they're Nor Cal off-the-grid, all right) wanted to stay in the area, and just decided to make something happen there that would enable that! Very cool people...

Then you get to repeat it all, back the other way.

CA3 north of Weaverville.

The Salmon River Saloon, Cecilville

Cecilville to Callahan

There were showers on the pass between Cecilville and Callahan which reminded me on the PNW, then it turned into California again.

We made a diversion on the way back, past Trinity Dam. Low water, for sure...

Goodbye, old 299!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Day 15: Oroville / Quincy

...and a THIRD fantastic Nor Cal outing: Oroville > Quincy > "The Race Track in the Sky"
395kms, 7 1/2 hrs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.ktkyAtayMSqk&usp=sharing

One final outing: an hour down the highway, thru Chico, nearly to Oroville; then a superb run up the North Feather River canyon (CA70) to Quincy. Su-perb!

As was typical for much of the trip, the high country was wet, so the "Racetrack in the Sky" was a bit impaired for about 10 miles, but it's still an absolutely fabulous ride.

Forbestown Road (maybe?)

A final run back up the highway thru the orchards back to the Gaia and the riding came to an end. Then there was just a long drive back home, and the trip came to an end too. Back to 'real life'... with a stock of memories deep enough to last for a long, long while!

Whew....

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My local riding interest would be -1000000 after that early season session.
for sure CA is a very big treat! but not so bad being home either. done the Duffey both the last 2 weekends, and I'm super-content...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Thank's for taking the time post this Don. I really appreciate it. Was a blur.

Spiritual moments:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Don's flat due to kid a MC shop sticking in a long valve stem when swapping to the super corsas that ended up hitting the calipler. Can't plug that! At least it was only 30 very twisty miles out that someone got to ride twice and a rescue option was readily available. Called ahead to let the MC shop know we're coming and managed get there just before closing time. I guess if that is the biggest tech hassle in 11,000 km's, and it was, we should call ourselves fortunate.

Kurvey Girl valve stem's coming?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
lover of twins
6,070 Posts
Dinner at the Diamondback Grill on the main street was great! an excellent burger, and a "Shiraz you can't see thru"! ...altho Peter failed to tempt our (married) server into further amusement...
:roflmao

1 - 20 of 27 Posts