BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
or in french,le steekmon!
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With riding season getting under way we should be extra careful about how we secure our rides. The last thing I want is to get my bike stolen so I really feel for the guys that lost theirs!Maybe if everybody posted some tips or suggestions on keeping them safe,SOMEONE will benefit from it!I carry locks with me and put them through my discs (cheaper than Kryponite ones).If I'm in a place of business,I try to park as close as possible! I don't think anybody is stupid here,I just want to raise everybodies awareness!!Plus ICBC can be a B!TCH to deal with sometimes!:mad

B

·
0 Posts
i use a lock and an alarm and always park as close to businesses as possible ie. on the sidewalk when i can

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well, if you have the bucks you can invest in a Boomerang system, which is basically a GPS tracker for your bike. If you report it stolen they or you can track the location of the bike on the internet via a special code etc...however it is not cheap, the unit is about $500 and last I heard the service was about $20 a month.

However there is a new version coming out by a different company that will be charging about half for the unit and $10 a month, I will post more info when I get it from them.

Bike alarms dont' do much since everyone knows where the battery is on a bike and they all hook up the same way. I can remove the seat off my bike and have access to the battery without tripping the alarm then it is one snip and the alarm is dead.

Cobra chain and a good lock work well when at home. But out on the road, just park in a visable location, with lots of light.

D

·
0 Posts
Definatly post more on that tracking system when you can.. nothing would please me more then to FIND the guys who took my bike(if it gets stolen).. .. then its time for the louiville slugger and my Babe Ruth swing.. if ya know what i mean :D

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
dknite said:
Definatly post more on that tracking system when you can.. nothing would please me more then to FIND the guys who took my bike(if it gets stolen).. .. then its time for the louiville slugger and my Babe Ruth swing.. if ya know what i mean :D
i'll join ya with my heaton goalie stick and a little Ron Hextall hacking action :)

·
BST Prospect
249 Posts
yeah locks are good..... but that's only to deter the small time thieves who just ride off with your bike..... unless you have your bike bolted to the ground..... 2 people can easily lift your bike up into the back of a truck..... the only thing that i can think of right now is just to park in well lit areas with lots of human traffic...... my theory is .... if they want to take it.... they will.... =)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
dknite said:
They are currently testing the system right now, a friend of ours works for them so I can get all the information before they release to the public. Also, if we can get a group together, I am sure we can get some kind of a corporate discount on the monitoring fee and the unit itself. I have no problem with $10 a month to know where my bike is. That way next time I drop it off for service I can watch and see where and how fast they ride it. :laughing :rider

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Let's say you've got one of these GPS bike tracker thingamabobbers. You park your bike at night, go to bed, zzzzz. Next day you come out to find your true love gone.

What are the chances that the GPS gizmo is sitting in a ditch somewheres whilst your bike is in Snake's garage, ready for painting or parting out?

Anyway, do we have an ETA for this new service? We should take these questions to the source. Website, anyone?

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
I believe many if not most of those systems also page you when the gps picks up movement.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
In my line of work I often use the saying: "Security is a function of time"

Anything you can do to increase the amount of time needed by a theif to steal your bike will be good, but nothing is un-stealable as time is infinite.

Alarms work, they bring attention to the scene decrease the amount of available time a Theif has. If you're going to take the seat off and cut the wire, thats 2 minutes you'd rather not spend.

Chains work, they increase the amount of time it takes to steal.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Just realize, no matter how much you spend it just takes a witty theif and some time to take your pride and joy.

Jim.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Lets face it everyone......if it rolls out of my garage...I don't want it back. Who knows what kinda damage is done in the first 5 mins let alone overnight. I would like to prevent someone from taking it completely, but then you've got to worry about vandalism....its a no win situation. The best thing is to park it somewhere that the thief can't get to it (in your garage).

B

·
0 Posts
Big Jim said:
In my line of work I often use the saying: "Security is a function of time"

Anything you can do to increase the amount of time needed by a theif to steal your bike will be good, but nothing is un-stealable as time is infinite.

Alarms work, they bring attention to the scene decrease the amount of available time a Theif has. If you're going to take the seat off and cut the wire, thats 2 minutes you'd rather not spend.

Chains work, they increase the amount of time it takes to steal.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Just realize, no matter how much you spend it just takes a witty theif and some time to take your pride and joy.

Jim.
i totally agree...of course even with my alarm thieves can still steal my bike if they're determined...but mine beeps at motion and goes off if you even touch it...i wouldnt want to load a beeping, squealing, honking bike into my pickup when i can take the one next to it...which, unfortunately, might be yours;)

the alarm is just designed to make stealing it much less desireable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts