BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Unregistered rider
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

So the sunny weather got me iching for a new bike. Not sure if it will happen this year, most likely next.
but now looking online. Thinking of sport touring with a upright neutral riding position and perferably a vtwin motor.

Was thinking to start back small with maybe an Vstrom 650 with hard bags and top case. I never riden one. but i heard a lot about them from Chia. Would like to know other peoples opinion. As i like sweepers and twistys but also just to cruse.

Another bike i liked was the Ducati hyperstrata 800.

My dream bike is the Multistrata 1200 but i am worried it maybe too much bike for me at the moment untill i get my groove back after my crash.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
You've had big bikes,
The V-Strom 650 will be too underpowered for you.
Get the Big Strom 1000

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Hello all

So the sunny weather got me iching for a new bike. Not sure if it will happen this year, most likely next.
but now looking online. Thinking of sport touring with a upright neutral riding position and perferably a vtwin motor.
I am enjoying touring on my Tiger 800, both on and off road - this one seems to be well set up & good value:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3871464336.html

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do yourself a favour and stay away from Ducati. Service costs are crazy and if you ever need to replace parts I hope you have kids to sell or unwanted organs. I will be looking at an FJR for my next bike, but a 1k Vstrom would be a good one to consider as well.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've never rode one, but if you're into something v-strom-ish you could also consider the Kawasaki Versys 650 or 1000

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Big twin? Touring capable? Mike76 raves about his shiny new KTM 990 SM-T.
Down the road (next summer), I'll be adding to my stable, and I'm looking at the same bikes you are. The 990 is at the top of the list, along with those expensive Ducs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do yourself a favour and stay away from Ducati. Service costs are crazy and if you ever need to replace parts I hope you have kids to sell or unwanted organs. I will be looking at an FJR for my next bike, but a 1k Vstrom would be a good one to consider as well.
If you're on a tight budget then yes, stay away. But if you can afford it, the MTS 1200 is a truly exceptional machine. Mine is at 27k and it hasn't missed a beat.

In my opinion, the single biggest factor as to why I admire this machine is how confidence inspiring it is. The geometry and the suspension are so good that when you encounter road "imperfections" in the twisties, you can rest assured that the bike will deal with it. More so than any other sport touring bikes I have tried in similar circumstances.

If you are worried about power, you can set it to urban mode and the engine is super mellow.

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts