BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
streets belong 2 us
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am debating buying my girlfriend a little ninja250. Almost did a couple days ago but there was a delay so I have some time to still think about it..

I am really having problems with the idea that if something happens to her .. I will feel responsible. She has never ridden and does not understand just how dangerous it can be. She says she'll be responsible.. but at the same time it just does not *mean* anything because until you actually ride you have no idea what you're talking about.

Her driving skills are alright.. however she is not the most aware person while on the road. And she is tiny.. 5'3. I do believe I could train her properly (IE she would not be riding alone unless I felt comfortable she was able to do so).

See.. even when I schedule a ride with my buddies and one of them is late.. I always think "fxck .. maybe he got hit or maybe he got a ticket etc etc" .. I really don't think I could handle sitting around wondering if she's safe out there.

I just don't know. I think the logical solution is to let her buy her own bike (won't happen for years .. she's in school) and then i wouldn't feel responsible. But really.. i don't ever want to worry about what could happen.

perhaps the answer to my contemplation is already evident, however i would like to hear what others have to say about it..

thoughts?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Why not pay for her to take a course and see how she like it first? Just my opinion.

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
tigerass said:
Why not pay for her to take a course and see how she like it first? Just my opinion.
Took the words from my keyboard. :)

I also think that if your GF takes a course from a good school that she will become a more aware driver as well - the courses will generally teach the rider to be more defensive on the roads and look for bad scenes before they happen.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Incantation said:
I do believe I could train her properly (IE she would not be riding alone unless I felt comfortable she was able to do so).
So you want to essentially pass on your bad habits?

+1 for sending her to school to see if she even likes it before investing in a bike for her.

·
~Flying Swan Hot Chick~
366 Posts
tigerass said:
Exactly!!! That's what my boyfriend told me over and over when I wanted to go bike shopping etc. unfortunately I didn't get mine paid for :flashy but that was the best $600 bucks ever spent, and that's what I tell everyone I meet who wants to get into riding!
I remember the first ride on my own after taking the course, he led and he said he said that was the most terrifying ride of his life!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Send her to school. Even if she never rides, at least you two will both be on the same page when you talk about riding.

·
Registered
202 Posts
fireball said:
but that was the best $600 bucks ever spent, and that's what I tell everyone I meet who wants to get into riding!
Ditto on that! I think of it this way-I dropped the bike three times during the course and I'm glad it was someone else's bike and not mine! :eek :laughing Do you really want to get her a new bike and have her drop it?? I swear I was so frustrated with myself that I almost gave up-but that wasn't like me so I hopped back on and gave it another shot. I felt safe because it's in a 'controlled' environment and I knew that everyone else that was there was at the 'same' level as I was. We were all new at it so I didn't feel like a complete goof.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Another vote for making her take a course first (and BigRed is one of the instructors, so him teaching his gf *may* be okay, but it's still not an ideal situation).

If you can afford to buy her a bike, you can afford to drop $600-700 on a course that will do a lot more for her riding abilities than your instruction will.

·
1,768 Posts
The original idea was for her to take the course since I didn't have a bike small enough to teach her on, but then I found a bike....

I would HIGHLY recommend having your girlfriend take a course. Before I was an instructor, friends would ask me to teach them and I would tell them what I knew, but once I became an instructor I realized how much information they were missing just from me teaching them, there's so much more that a school can offer.

;D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Don't jump a gun and buy her a bike. I've seen way to often the guy buys the wife or the girlfriend a motocycle and they end up selling it at the end of the season becuase they don't ride it. Make sure she enjoys it first, some girls are just not as riding as guys are. I know my wife is content just riding 2 up. But if she has a desire to ride a motocycle herself, I'll be getting her lessons first. :)

T

·
0 Posts
Adam, Maybe try and start her out with a 125cc dirtbike or even...I hate to hear myself say this....a Sc:flashy :flashy ter.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I did something similar - I bought my wife private instruction and as a gift when she completed the course, I bought her a brand new EX500 because she wanted a 'Ninja' since she was a little kid.

Riding it a few times she decided that sport bikes aren't for her, so we're selling it and now she wants a cruiser.

So in hindsight, I would have let her test ride a bunch of bikes before settling on a specific bike that I thought she would like.

So yeah, get her to take professional training and *then* get her to test ride a few models of bikes to find out what she's most comfortable with riding. I betchya that it might not be an EX250.

·
1,768 Posts
Good advice from Adam about buying the bike.

It's also a good idea to buy used for a first bike because you can usually use it for the first season and then sell it at the start of the next season for very close to what you paid for it. There's very little loss compared to buying a new bike. It doesn't have to be the perfect bike, it just has to be a good bike to learn on for the first year.

;D

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
+1 on sending her to riding school first.

·
Ibrakeforhallucinations
46 Posts
Hey, I'm taking a course this year. If she wants somegirl to go with.:)

·
Deer magnet
1,275 Posts
I know what you're going through....

I bought a 400 Ninja a few years back, and one day my wife asked if I would teach her how to ride. We went to a large empty parking lot, and I showed her the basics; brakes throttle, clutch etc. She did pretty good riding slowly around in first gear. Unfortunately, she doesn't have have very long legs, and after coming to stop, the bike fell over. Although that knocked her confidence, she was still interested in riding, but didn't want to ride my bike because it was too big and heavy.

The following spring she took a course at BC Safety Council, and learned how to ride on their 125cc bikes. After she got through the course, she bought a 250 Ninja. She was very slow and cautious for the first few rides, but by the end of her first season was doing pretty good.

The next season she got a CBR 600 (lowered), and her riding seemed to get better over the next couple of years. I went from going really slow and waiting for her all the time, to her keeping up with me most of the time. In fact, one time she got ahead of me on the Duffy lake road (she got the good passing spot) and I never did catch up to her.

Of course I was always worried when we went on trips, and I've seen her have more than a few close calls. However, I also emphasized the importance of always wearing good leathers, including the leather pants with armour etc. Good thing I did, since she tested it at 100kmh :eek (She walked away with only cuts and bruises).

Overall, we've had some good rides together, and she's put almost 50,000 km on her bike. We've been to California twice, and even Montana. We've also covered over 90% of the roads in the "Destination Highways" book.

A bit of advice: If she can't flat foot the bike, get it lowered (and get some good frame sliders too).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts