BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With almost daily postings by victims of bike crime, I got wondering about what drives the insatiable appetite these thieves have. Clearly most of these are not joy-riders; they are part of organized rings. Most crimes are driven by the need for money, and goods stolen are usually traded for cash as soon as possible. Of course there has to be someone willing to hand over the cash, so the question is, who is buying all these stolen motorcycles and/or parts?

Not wanting to restart a Marbod thread, I understand that some parts may end up on race-bikes or be put into legitimate bikes maybe unbeknown to the owner, but surely that's a limited market because I assume most racers will not knowingly buy stolen stuff, and it seems unlikely that local shops would risk their businesses by trading in stolen parts.

So what happens to the rest? Maybe I'm naive, but isn't it quite difficult to get a stolen bike re-registered? How do they change the VIN? Are the stolen bikes being loaded into containers and shipped offshore?

It seems to me that for this thief-fest to end, the consumers of the stolen property need to be identified.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
It's a lot of bikes being containered out of the country.

·
Regurgitated User
741 Posts
You can buy a frame for a bike with a new VIN. Depending on the bike prolly around $2000-4000. Strip a stolen bike down and voila! A brand new bike for 20% of the actual cost. Sure the engine won't have a matching VIN but I have -never- heard of someone being pulled over and the cop looking into a bike's details that carefully.
Do they check this when you register a "build"?

Like Tattoodles stated I as well have heard a lot of them leave the country.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
Lots leave the country, some are restamped, some threads are some dude who dumped his bike, pushed it into the river and comes on here to legitimize an insurance scam. The latter usually gets busted by ICBC but not always, it's the reason why you have to wait 30 days for a payout.

·
Experienced Newbie
59 Posts
Of all the people in the lower mainland, i would have expected somebody to have a GPS tracker on their bike. I'm surprised we still haven't figured this out, it would at least give the location where the bikes end up before being taken apart. One by one, these guys could be taken care of.

I think the police should have bait-bikes. They had bait-car, which according to them was a success in reducing car thefts, so much so, they started bait-boats.

G

·
i think a bunch are people asking icbc to clear thier concience.

hmmmm end of season ,cant afford a bike they cant ride in the winter ,want something new,or get the money back from a summer fling ,,,off it goes.

G

·
vin's and engine numbers rarely coincide and even if they did icbc doesn't have access to the engine number of a bike unless the dealer kept the lil slip. it's very easy to do a u-build in bc. there are bait bikes.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts

hmmmm end of season ,cant afford a bike they cant ride in the winter ,want something new,or get the money back from a summer fling ,,,off it goes.
Bingo! They take the insurance money, spend the winter in Whistler and then get a new bike the next year. Brutal. I would bet nearly half of theft is this type of crap, the other half is the well organized snatch it and strip it thiefs.

I lived downtown for a few years, crackheads don't steal bikes. They break into cars and steal change, CD's, empty bottles etc. They don't steal cars and bikes.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
With almost daily postings by victims of bike crime, I got wondering about what drives the insatiable appetite these thieves have. Clearly most of these are not joy-riders; they are part of organized rings. Most crimes are driven by the need for money, and goods stolen are usually traded for cash as soon as possible. Of course there has to be someone willing to hand over the cash, so the question is, who is buying all these stolen motorcycles and/or parts?

Not wanting to restart a Marbod thread, I understand that some parts may end up on race-bikes or be put into legitimate bikes maybe unbeknown to the owner, but surely that's a limited market because I assume most racers will not knowingly buy stolen stuff, and it seems unlikely that local shops would risk their businesses by trading in stolen parts.

So what happens to the rest? Maybe I'm naive, but isn't it quite difficult to get a stolen bike re-registered? How do they change the VIN? Are the stolen bikes being loaded into containers and shipped offshore?

It seems to me that for this thief-fest to end, the consumers of the stolen property need to be identified.
I'll bet my XR 650R is up north by now some inbread red neck dumb-fuck prob paid like 1or2k for it and is riding it around up their (I hope he gets jumped by a fucking bear)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts

I dunno...I think that is a long shot their buddy....I'm sure it happens but not much...prob as much as I get away with sticking my thumb up the old lady's ass without getting a "horse kick"

·
Waiting for the sun
502 Posts
they do have "bait-bikes" and "bait-atv's"
Yes I've seen a few of them, the only thing that is flawed about them is when they dissable the engine and the bikes in the back of a stolen truck......truck keeps goin.....I say they should put a heavy charge of C-4 in the bike and detinate it to just blow the useless cack-suckers up....most people say they don't want that bike back any more anyways.
It would free up the court system so we could dispute our speeding tickets:laughing and it would stop the thieves from being chased by police again in a few weeks when they steal another bike.....ohhh yeah and I almost forgot, the law should have a loophole in it where honest people wouldn't get charged if they doled out their own justice to the lowest form of scum (thieves).

Just my 2 cents

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
I think you are naive. Because, i believe that people don't care whether something is stolen or not. They will buy if it's a good deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.