BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sent my in my moto for service the other day but I have been thinking of getting a new yet ligther one.... I have always had bigger bikes GS550ES, FJ1100, CBR1100xx, and the lightest yet a CBR1000rr. I have been looking at dual sports (all the usual suspects) but have been seriously considering a Zero in the smaller end of the range. I suppose I am not prepared to pay 20K plus for a motor cycle. Also the the ones with more range have the weight starting to creep up again.

Here is a Spreadsheet that I summarized what I considered the most critical information to compare the smaller Zero bike models against my CBR1000rr. I have to say they are impressive and light.

Zero Motorcycle Spec Comparison

In my case I can plug in over night and very rarely would do more than 100km in a day so I think I am good candidate to tolerate the low range. I also like the idea being able to carry an FX/FXS on the back of my SUV with a dirt bike hitch rack. With the FX/FXS I could take out both batteries and get the bike down to about 210lbs so I think it would work out well.

Any thoughts or experience with these bikes good or bad? I did come across a sad story where the bike BMS completely failed after 12 days from new and then sat for 20 days in dealer shop until it was destroyed in a fluke storm. Can you get extended warranty from Zero? Do you need it?

Regards

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
plenty of reviews online, but most are from mags, and these tend to be enthusiastic about just about any new toy. there are a few from users... one cautionary statement I read mentions that a very large percentage of purchases of e- motos so far have been to police departments, so there is actually not a lot of 'true' consumer' experience to go on.

Reactions: Steve G.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
plenty of reviews online, but most are from mags, and these tend to be enthusiastic about just about any new toy. there are a few from users... one cautionary statement I read mentions that a very large percentage of purchases of e- motos so far have been to police departments, so there is actually not a lot of 'true' consumer' experience to go on.
I had a decent conversation with a VPD bike patrol whilst pedal biking through one of the most recent downtown demonstrations. Two big pluses for these machines (he was in one of the enduro based Zero models),,,1), they do not overheat like a Harley in town work, and 2), they take 0% battery charge when sitting still, which I understand is most of what police bikes do.

He did say that taking the bike on a multi jurisdiction training ride, the machine cannot make it back return from Squamish without a quick boost charge to return back.
I’ve been lucky to ride a couple Zero models and the Brammo S, the Brammo being by far the highlight performance wise. Grunt monster. Also defunct. I heard that Polaris have bought the rights to the name. We shall see.

Battery range and/or charging speed continue to be the weak
Points of any battery electric machine, and will be so for the future IMO. I work at a Tesla official repair centre. The battery loses 1% a day just sitting there doing nothing, such are the constant component activity happening. No denying the brute torque of the machines, as well as the Brammo S, I want character out of my Motorcycles, and electric does not do it at all. I do t want my bikes to sound line coffee bean grinders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I have noted about the lower end models are that they lack traction control. I would have thought that for an electric bike with ABS it would have been a no-brainer to have traction control. I understand the top end Zero models have it now along with other e-aids I guess, but I am fixed on that 250-300 lb weight of the FX/FXS models. My CBR1000rr does not have TC and I am fine with that but perhaps if the full torque was available instantly I would change my mind.

I prefer bikes to be on the quiet side. I love the sound of my bike when I open it up but around the neighborhood nobody looks twice which is how I like it. But I feel in the end we will have to learn to to enjoy the motorcycle without the roar. I have seen that some electric vehicles generate various noises from a speaker but this seems so.........fake ...... even though I think it is probably practical from a safety standpoint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts