6,829 Posts
three Harley Davidson motorcycles
riders aged 22, 23 and 24
from Abbotsford
File this one under "things that make you go 'hmmm''

·
Resident Contrarian
634 Posts
I struggle to feel bad for someone going over double the limit. Want to give us details rather than a link-and-run? Love to know which road it was.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
I struggle to feel bad for someone going over double the limit. Want to give us details rather than a link-and-run? Love to know which road it was.
Here's all of the info, not much, but enough to get the jist......no idea what road specifically:

Wonder how cool those loud pipes are now.....may not have been nabbed if they would have STFU.

Langley RCMP impounded three Harley Davidson motorcycles for going over 130 km/h in a 60 km/h zone on Sunday.

Police say an officer was on the side of the road with another speeder when he heard a number of loud motorcycles coming towards him.

He used his laser gun to determine their speed, and motioned for the riders to stop. Two of the riders pulled over without incident, but the third rider skidded for over 50 meters before dropping his motorcycle.

Police say the riders aged 22, 23 and 24 are all from Abbotsford.

All three motorcycles have been seized for seven days at the owner’s expense.

In addition, all of the riders received $368 tickets.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
I struggle to feel bad for someone going over double the limit.
Yes and no......really depends on where this was specifically. Think Marine, just West of Boundary,
where the limit is 50kph.......you could easily and safely do double the limit there. Would not be surprised
if average speeds are about 80. There are some places that are serious radar traps, with speed limits
which are insanely low.

I would typically side with you on the double+ speed limit, but there are a few exceptions around, and
they tend to be taken advantage of when it comes to enforcement.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
Here ya go, anyone local can comment on this area:

http://www.vancouversun.com/motorcy...+twice+speed+limit+Langley/9039368/story.html

RCMP said that an officer in the 25900-block of 88 Avenue heard the motorcycles approaching and then motioned for the operators to stop.

Google mapped it, ya, been there many times....pfft, 60 speed limit....country road, very little traffic, population, driveways, people......yup, we can all sleep better knowing lives were saved on this one by getting those death machines lockled up:

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
there are parts of S2S with speed limit 60.

that up hill S portion that is always very nice is also still a 60 zone.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
Here ya go Chia:

A) Doing 50 kph along there must suck almost as much as riding along there at extralegal speeds.

B) How does one get surprised by a cop stopped at the side of the road along there?!

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
"...he heard a number of loud motorcycles coming towards him."

"He used his laser gun to determine their speed, and motioned for the riders to stop. Two of the riders pulled over without incident, but the third rider skidded for over 50 meters before dropping his motorcycle."

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,829 Posts
It's possible for a patrol car to conceal itself fairly well in the shrubbery on the north side of 88th @ 264th crossing, which is undoubtedly ideal, as there is a very high rate of motorcycle traffic along that roadway, often enjoying otherwise clear sight lines and minimal hidden driveways. Very common to see bikes opening it up in that stretch... must be some good fishin' down there

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yeah. I know that area very well and it's fairly good sight lines around there.. Without knowing what direction they were traveling its difficult to say for sure... But all the roads are straight, so how they didn't spot the cop a long way off is beyond me.

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
My question is why was enforcement set up on that road? Public complaints? Prior accidents? Or was it just an easy fishing hole?

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
yep nothing but farmlands. and yes i've seen them around that very area few times. few spots to hide behind shrubs. also, not much further there is a slight bend, another good hang out. who knows, if they were heading west, possibly sun in the eyes, so wide open that some might not suspect to see any enforcement etc.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
This does the "sensible speed limits" cause absolutely no good.

This incident has NOTHING to do with posted limits. The "think of the children" crowd will have a heyday.

Doesn't do much for the motorcycle community's image either.

Double whammy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Easy fishing. I have seen traps on 88th quite often, mostly closer to Fort Langley, and they always have a crowd...Theres a driveway on the south side of the road, between Armstrong and 252, just after the bend. They get you right as you exit the bend headed east.

·
corner worker
1,024 Posts
I think the police officer went beyond the call of duty on this one!
It is supposedly illegal to give chase, which in my eyes is also the same as standing out on a roadway, knowing fully how fast the bikes were going.
Causing a rider to panic, grabbing a mitt full of brakes and crashing, which would have been avoided if the officer would have used better judgement.
That rider could have been killed.

Regardless of how fast they were going, regardless of the posted mundane speed limit.
Honestly, we learn a lot from our own mistakes, police aren't doing enforcement, when they put others at risk!
What?
I didn't live between two pieces of cotton batten my whole life, and neither should any other Canadian.

Okay, I feel better now, carry on.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
Honestly, we learn a lot from our own mistakes, police aren't doing enforcement, when they put others at risk!
Good point. The whole "good ting we slowed dem dere motorcyclists down before dey crashed and hurt demselves" argument kind of goes out the window when you cause a crash trying to slow them down.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts