BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ride on
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer we were 5 of us riding on our way to Harrison Hot Springs and got caught by a cop on a motorcycle coming on the opposite direction. 3 of us stopped and got each a $348.00 ticket.:flashy The guy in front paid his ticket and 2 of us disputing it in court.
Did anybody had similar situation? :devillook
I think the cop can only give the ticket to the front motorcycle

·
Waiting for the sun
502 Posts
I don't know where you'd get an idea that a cop can only issue a ticket to the lead rider. As far as I know, the cop can issue a ticket to whomm ever is kind enough to pull-over and let him/her write you up.

That's the best part about riding in groups, someone else will always stop so you don't have to.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
lol happened to my brother and I. If you all stop you all get a ticket. Next time don't all stop. He can only physically pull over one bike.

·
wanna gixer
286 Posts
from my experience go to court and tell them that you don,t make a lot of money and ask the judge to lover the fine (if the cop shows up) if you argue too much cop and or judge might get pissed off with you if he doesn't show up you win

·
Ride on
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So riding in large group is ok to let the lead rider to take the fall... I think when you are riding with good friends you stick together all the way.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
No way. I've been at the back of a pack when a cop has come up - i pulled over and everyone else rode off. That's the way i actually wanted it. What's the point in everyone getting a ticket when only 1 person has to?

There's a chance the cop won't show up, and if they do, just act like you're sorry and ask for a reduction

·
Shut up and ride.
597 Posts
if the cop shows up ask a few questions such as:
how did you know how fast I was travelling?
what method did you use to ascertain my rate (don't say that evil word SPEED!!) of travel?
have you taken any courses to learn how to effectively ascertain the rate of travel of vehicles or motorcycles in particular? (they are supposed to take these courses regularly)
when was the time you took the course?
is that the usual length of time between refresher courses?
what was your margin of error in ascertaining the rate of travel of motorcycles? (he should be able to say plus or minus so and so much, hopefully it is +- a significant amount and then you can press that point. Like, "so perhaps your estimate of my rate of travel at 110kmh, minus your +-rating of 10kmh I may have been travelling at 90kmh, seeing as these were not perfect conditions for estimating the rate of travel of vehicles?
according to your +- figures I might not have been treaveling in excess of the posted limit?

What you need to do is bring the cop's "facts" into dispute. If there is a shadow of a doubt in his story the judge is likely to toss the case (fgood for you). Listen really carefully for any error in the cop's testimony. If the ticket doesn't say what type of road (prov highway, street etc) it is, the judge can toss it. You may have to bring this up.
Most important though, be prepared, look professional, and LISTEN to everything the judge and cop says and be very respectful of the court!!

And finally, if you admit that you were speeding, even once, the judge will say, you say were speeding, 3 points awarded, case closed.

Hope this helps.

·
Will wheelie 4 boobs!
950 Posts
it's pretty ballsy to run from a bike cop. Last thing u wanna do is crash from running.. ur life would suck more than a 300 dollar speeding ticket after that.

·
Banned
117 Posts
it's pretty ballsy to run from a bike cop. Last thing u wanna do is crash from running.. ur life would suck more than a 300 dollar speeding ticket after that.
ha ha $300 is my life sooo.... damn rights I'm gonna friggin run

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i went a disputed a ticket when a motorcyle cop pulled me over. and first person he called on and i was first to be addressed:

case closed due to no evidence.....

great way to start my Xmas (court was on dec 23)

as for countryslicker's reply, yes, it's great to ask questions, but my buddy tried and he got ripped another hole. the cop proved all his facts, with this experience, his years of training and how his equipment has been qualified (calibrated etc), road conditions, traffic conditions.....

my buddy was in shock and each question was just knocked right out of the ball park. Keep in mind these guys goes to dispute all the time.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've been pulled over as well from a bike cop going the opposite direction and he approached me before going into the court room to tell me it was my lucky day. I argue everyone of my tickets unless there is without a doubt I'm totally in the wrong (like 187km in a 90km zone by a cop on the side of the road with lazer set-up). If he's coming towards you then it's all speculative and not exact. The hard part about your case though is that one of your buddies who was pulled over and was probably doing the same speed as you has already admitted guilt and the cop could pull that up if he wasn't lazy.

Just hope he doesn't show up. If he does, then ask for an adjournment because you haven't had a chance to seek council in this matter. They never show up the second time unless you live in the sticks.

·
Get outta the fast lane!!
1,335 Posts
Just go to the court and change the date right now. They usually line them all up for the cop same day the first time around. Come up with any excuse. Gotta out of the country on business, etc. Second time around they usually don't show if they're on traffic duty and your the only one they have to go to court for that day. 50/50 chance.

There's another thread on here, do a search, tells you what you can do to get off. You can send registered letter to the cop, etc.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Just hope he doesn't show up. If he does, then ask for an adjournment because you haven't had a chance to seek council in this matter. They never show up the second time unless you live in the sticks.
So you check the paper to see if he's in on that day, and if he's in, do you ask for an adjournment in front of the judge or at the administrative office?

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
Don't Let One Anecdote Spoil Your Plan

as for countryslicker's reply, yes, it's great to ask questions, but my buddy tried and he got ripped another hole. the cop proved all his facts, with this experience, his years of training and how his equipment has been qualified (calibrated etc), road conditions, traffic conditions.....

my buddy was in shock and each question was just knocked right out of the ball park. Keep in mind these guys goes to dispute all the time.

Don't let that discourage you from disputing the ticket if there is a sound evidentiary basis to do so. Every police witness is different, every set of facts is different, and some days the same witness is not as good as he was on previous days.

The police officer definitely has the upper hand over you at roadside, but not necessarily so in court. You will immediately notice a change in demeanor, roadside presence versus the officer being in the witness box. The traffic court judge knows you are a lay person and one would expect that a little lee-way is given to you. Don't be intimidated, spend your energy being well-prepared instead.

G

·

considering that most cases don't come to trial for nearly a year....

you'll be told you should have thought about that well before the court date. you'll be told that you had ample time to seek council. you'll be told that you ask for an adjourment from the clerk, not in the court from the judge. you'll be told that since you are here, proceedings continue.

and the judge will then have a chip on his shoulder for you trying to make a mockery of his court.

been there, done that. if you plan on doing such a thing, do it right.

·
Shut up and ride.
597 Posts
Like Greeboy says, spend your time getting prepared for the case. You have to know your case inside and out. Are there curves in the road, things that might obscure his line of vision of you, any other nearby traffic and so on. Also, remember that you are simply going in there to get the facts and to find out if perhaps there was an error made on the cop's part. You believe you were not speeding, you need to shead doubt on his testimony that shows you were.

As for changing the date, you are to appear in court, do it about a week ahead of time and have a legitimate reason. That should put the next date to appear at least six months down the road.

I have fought and won two similar cases to this and won. (Granted it was in the 1980's) The cop actually congratulated me on the way out of the building. My buddy did the same thing, won the case. Much of your success depends on your attitude in the court. You must be sincere and show that you are simply trying to get to the bottom of this matter.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
As I tell most people who ride with me for the first time, "they're only allowed to get one of us. Whichever one they choose gets the tickets, the rest of us never saw each other before."

To balance out this mercenary attitude, I have also split the ticket cost with the unfortunate recipient, so take it FWIW.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts