BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
So that is correct Sikorsky the justice can ask the crown/police officer if they wish to increase the fine? You've experienced that? In your experience you've often seen extra fines added on to people's tickets or would you say that it is uncommon?

Isn't $173 the max a normal speeding ticket used to be? That sounds familiar from maybe 12-15 years ago when I got my last ticket? But police have always had discretion to set a higher fine amount? Wouldn't 38km over be technically the same infraction as 1km over? It's 40km+ that things get more serious(excessive). Even today a normal speeding ticket of under 40km over cannot have a fine written for $250.
I have given people a break roadside on a ticket, only to see their name came up later on for disputes. So they got a break then have the nerve to dispute the lesser charge? At that point I’ll write every charge they didn’t get at the time. Then at court I’ll cancel the original ticket and serve them the new one with the multiple charges on it. So yes, I have seen increases in charges and fines. I’ve also seen licenses suspended immediately by the Justice. So when that person tries driving home they also get tagged with a No Driver’s License ticket and the vehicle impounded for 7 days since they don’t have a license.

So, what is the facts on passing a very slow car? 90kmhr zone, car doing 65kmhr, legal to pass. Is it true you cannot pass faster than 90kmhr? That seems like a dangerous way to quickly get around someone! Maybe the police should fine slow pokes for NOT using pullovers to let that 1/4 mile of traffic pass them.
What is the confusion around the term ”Maximum”. And we do deal with slowpokes. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t it mean it doesn’t happen.

Reactions: Steve G.

·
backslider
11,344 Posts
I would offer that, anyone who frivolously disputes a traffic offense can well expect to raise the ire of both the issuing officer, as well as the sitting Justiceofthepeace.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yet you can dispute a ticket, have the court date set, not show and you are just deemed to have pleaded guilty. No backlash.

Seems like some short straws are being pulled from the pile here to try to accentuate a point of not disputing. I've never heard of or from anyone ever seeing a increase in fine from disputing a ticket, until now that is. I'm doubtful any increase of the fine or changing of the original infraction could happen to me as we've passed the one year mark which is the statute of limitation for issuing a ticket on a driving offence as I understand it. So I think I'll take my chances. Despite mr doom and gloom Sikorsky, who obviously has motivation to see people not dispute tickets talking about all the downsides I'm still not convinced it will be a waste of time. Or that I'll be leaving humiliated, impounded and license-less.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hang in there Squisher. I remember everyone here used to say: "fight every ticket". Ties up the courts with a good chance of the ticket timing out.
Cops do not like going to court on their day off either.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I have given people a break roadside on a ticket, only to see their name came up later on for disputes. So they got a break then have the nerve to dispute the lesser charge? At that point I’ll write every charge they didn’t get at the time. Then at court I’ll cancel the original ticket and serve them the new one with the multiple charges on it. So yes, I have seen increases in charges and fines. I’ve also seen licenses suspended immediately by the Justice. So when that person tries driving home they also get tagged with a No Driver’s License ticket and the vehicle impounded for 7 days since they don’t have a license.

What is the confusion around the term ”Maximum”. And we do deal with slowpokes. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t it mean it doesn’t happen.
You guys got to deal with slow pokes more IMO. Summer rides, it’s constant to see long lines of stupid idiots in rental class a and class c motorhomes trundling along oblivious to sometimes 1/4 mile of pissed off travellers. Not so in the USA, pull overs are used everywhere and regularly. That kind of polite roadside pull overs happens from enforcement, not just because they are nicer more thoughtful people.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The problem really being that the speed limits are to low. 10km over is generally accepted by everyone, even the police are cruising around breaking the maximum more often than not. Then you get some bonehead who does 5-10km under and you've got the recipe for tailgating, aggressive passes, road rage, distracted driving, etc. But while Sikorsky claims there is enforcement of slower traffic keep right or not impeding even though we don't see it. Well I've never seen it not ever and doubt if 5-10k under is even an enforceable infraction?

Sikorsky is blind to the other side because of a lifetime in enforcement same as I am blind to the environmental leaflickers from a lifetime in forestry. No different to me, our minds are made up and decades of reinforcement make justifying our decisions easy. Everyone believes they are right otherwise they would change their actions if they're a good person. And belief is not easy to argue with.

I still find this discussion interesting though.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,332 Posts
Yet you can dispute a ticket, have the court date set, not show and you are just deemed to have pleaded guilty. No backlash.
An often overlooked upside to that is that the points associated with that ticket get applied when you are found guilty, not when the ticket was issued. I used this a decade ago to my advantage:

• got ticket 1, guilty as charged, paid the fine and got the 3 points
  • no premiums at this point, but another point in the calendar year would have resulted in additional, point-related premiums
  • got ticket 2 in the same year, also guilty as charged, disputed it
  • dispute/court date was in the next calendar year, more than a year after the first ticket
  • didn't show up to court, got the 3 points from ticket #2, but by this point the points from ticket #1 had vanished, so again, no point-related premiums to play

Then you get some bonehead who does 5-10km under and you've got the recipe for tailgating, aggressive passes, road rage, distracted driving, etc.
My neighbour commutes to Kelowna in the late evening and back to Vernon in the very early morning; he constantly complains about these morons that drive #97 in those hours and intentionally block people from passing, while driving under the speed limit. I see it fairly frequently on Silver Star Rd, too. And nine times out of ten it's those frail, senile seniors that think 50kph in a 60kph zone is too much.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Come on! Easy on the seniors.

There is this thing called entitlement. People figure its their right to hold others back. Driving the speed limit does not make them a cop but they think they're morally superior by holding others back. Ffnn idiots.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Interesting on the timing thing I wasn't aware of how that worked. I am a year in so far with no more tickets and hopefully no more to come. I'm not really to worried about it but I'd rather spend the money on motorcycle parts and gear!

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have given people a break roadside on a ticket, only to see their name came up later on for disputes. So they got a break then have the nerve to dispute the lesser charge? At that point I’ll write every charge they didn’t get at the time. Then at court I’ll cancel the original ticket and serve them the new one with the multiple charges on it.
But the officer is issuing a ticket at the time of the violation, they choose to issue a ticket for the lesser charge.
Then months later in court the officer changes it because they found out there was a dispute.
My original post is referring to the fact that both tickets I went to dispute between 18 years were tossed by the officer because of paperwork.
#1 Them not having a copy of the ticket.
#2 Them not having any notes.
Both times the judge/justice called my name and said, "You're free to go."
People can dispute the amount or the violation on the ticket given to them at the time.
How does a brand new ticket served in court with new charges not written by the officer at the time of the violation get disputed?
I guess that’s why pencils have erasers.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
So I think I'll take my chances. Despite mr doom and gloom Sikorsky, who obviously has motivation to see people not dispute tickets talking about all the downsides
I questioned the wisdom of speaking up when I did. I really should have paid attention to that little voice and avoided the passive-aggressive little comments. Do what you want. I honestly could not care less.

·
Registered
728 Posts
No worries man. Wasn't my intention to be insulting. I have great respect for police officers and know a couple, one who is a neighbor. I dislike our traffic law and enforcement setup that we have, but I do concede that it is the law. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Squisher, my sympathies, but it is what it is. As for fighting the ticket in court yourself, 'the law' is as uncopacetic a place for amateurs as... say, forestry... or policing. There's a very old saying which goes (in the most original form I could find, dating from 1682): He who will be his own Counsellour, shall be sure to have a Fool for his Client.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I know there are those out there who will ‘poopoo’ my input, but here it is. I
May have mentioned it somewhere else before, but I recently got my 1st speeding ticket since 1998, and that one was 1/2 to Winthrop on Hwy 20. This one surprised me as it was on the exit ramp of Hwy 1 in Surrey. Fishing spot of great potential success. The revenue collector , very nice chap, told me I was 45km over and could tow my truck. I said yes you could. He said my driving record made him decide to give me the minimal speed tax ticket , for which I thanked him, and we both wished each other a great afternoon. I do not get time off with pay to fight a ticket, and did not want to tempt fate in court with possible bump to excessive speed ticket.
I have great respect for police officers, especially during these crazy times of “ACAB” bull shit demonstrations going on around North America. It is pitiful to realize that those who wish the elimination of police officers and laws, (in other words anarchy), would definitely lose out big time to society’s alphas a physically dominant entities. But back to traffic laws, we clearly have completely idiotic posted speeds in BC, but understand that today’s society requires persons of low IQ and/or low dexterity capability to
Operate a motor vehicle to help in paying taxes for those cannot do anything for themselves. The traffic law enforcement ace a job to enforce the stupid posted speeds here, and we all understand that they did not decide on these stupid posted speeds.

·
backslider
11,344 Posts
They may not have decided on those limits, but they certainly decided to enforce them

(there's your "poo poo"!)

·
backslider
11,344 Posts
How on earth can you possibly streeee-e-t-c-h your (false) suppositions so far from an only tangentially related yet factual statement?

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
How on earth can you possibly streeee-e-t-c-h your (false) suppositions so far from an only tangentially related yet factual statement?
This statement does not make basic sense in 2021 Queens English. I do see that you reject my rebuttal. Please offer reasons why you do not accept that comment.

·
backslider
11,344 Posts
A driver momentarily speeding on a country or mountain road (no harm done) is qualitatively different than a person breaking into another person's home, or punching someone in the face (harm done) ... wouldn't you say?

41 - 60 of 68 Posts