BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... Im planning to slash my rear flap to give it a cleaner look...

Im planning to install some flush mount turn signals in the rear and make a bracket for the license plate, tehrefore taking off that big black mud flap...

Any tips, suggestions, pics... advice... sites that have some prety helpful tips??...

Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Here is what I did.

1. Remove the license plate light and license plate and hold the plate directly under the tail light--keep the top edge of the plate level with the brake light. Mark the bottom edge of the plate so that when you move the plate out of the way, you will see how far down it goes.
2. Take a dremel, roto-zip or anything you have that will cut through plastic and cut the fender off just ABOVE your mark. This way when your plate is mounted, you will see no fender.
3. Grab a drill and punch new holes for mounting your plate.
4. If you have a trunk key hole that will now be under the plate (as mine did) just drill a hole right through the plate so that the key hole is showing.
5. Mount your plate and admire your new look!

I took pics of each step of the process, but could not find them. I will post them when they turn up. If you are unclear about anything, just ask! :)

·
space for sale
501 Posts
please use eye protection when you're using the dremel. The saw broke off when I was cutting my fender and hit my goggles. Lucky i was wearing goggles.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
When I cut mine, I used a block of wood, tongs (visegrips) and a hacksaw. With the hacksaw, you can do the cut all at once and it will be straight.

atom

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
anyone want to meet and do this as a group mod ? I don't have any dremel and I don't want to use my swiss army knife....:D:D

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
You do not need a dremel, just about anything will work. My friend just did his with a drill! Seriously! He bore one hole, then slowly moved it sideways until his fender was gone. It looks like someone was gnawing on it, but he sanded it down with a belt sander and it looks fine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I"m still looking at options for my flap. I might just end up sawing it off with a hacksaw though. Seems the cheapest way to go, and i can't afford any undercowling yet.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Hand saws like a metal hacksaw or a wood working coping saw give you the most control over the cut especially if you're a little hesitant about cutting into your best friend like this............ and who isn't.

Clean up the cut with a knife used as a scraper.

And of course you measure about 10 times first, right?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys.... i was out there today measuring it and everything and pent liek 2 hours trying to get myself to cut into the plastic but i couldnt get it!! DAMMIT!!!

This little project is gonan have ot wait until next weekend...

That group mod thing soudns like a nice idea right about now. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts