I might be dangerous!
1,043 Posts
Maker-Michelin
Model-Pilot Sport
Size- Front- 120/70-17 Rear- 180/55-17
Installed on- CBR 600
Ridden for- 10,000 km
Rating- 1.5

Comments- OK, I'm not sure what rating to give these tires as they are the first set on this bike and I don't have much to compare to. But I know that they hold their ground in the corners and at 10,000 km they aren't anywhere near dead yet. I hope to put on another 10,000 km before trying the BT012SS.

D

·
0 Posts
maker: bridgestone
model: bt010
size: front-120-70-17 rear- 190-50-17
installed on: cbr 929rr 2001
ridden for: 4600 kms
rating: 1.5
A certain improvement over dunlops 207's on my f41 2002. Better feel and rideability and they don't slip at the rear when going over those black patch lines they put on the roads

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A link to the new Pirelli Diablo courtesty of Dee604. Thanks Dee.

http://www.pirellimoto.com/tires/catalogo/scheda.asp?ID=294

Remember folks. If you find a site with a test review or new product debut feel free to post a link to the page here. Please don't copy the material directly though. If it's appropriate I'll ask them for permission myself if you PM me the details.

Track test comparos are a perfect example. But no magazine scans please. That's copyrighted material. But post up a notice about the magazine and month so others can buy it.

·
Its quiet in here!
524 Posts
Maker-Michelin
Model-Sport Pilot rear
Size-180/55ZR17
Installed on-93 CBR900RR
Ridden-aprox 5000 kms
Rating 1

Sorry guys, haven't used many street tires, I ride on all my GP take-offs but I do use the above tire and have no complaints, it warms up fast, has awesome grip, I can hammer the throttle cranked over and hooks up, like my 208GP's, works well in the wet and in the cold-when we went up to Squamish with ice on the road, heated up fast and not a squirm.
I am trying the street new Dunlop 208 when bike is reinsured.

February's Sport Rider has a race tire comparo, pretty interesting, but basically, there is no difference. They were all so close, it comes down to price and preference!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Maker- Kenda
Model-Trackmaster
Size- I'd have to go to the garage and look.:rolleyes
Installed on DR350 Enduro, rear. Think there's a Pirelli on the front:rolleyes
Ridden-Vegas and California desert. Some BC riding.
Rating-At $80 who cares?:laughing

Handles sand well. Knobs seem to get ripped off by sharp rocks though:laughing Seems to also handle wet crap up here:eek

Overall rating? ...............Can't beat the price:laughing :rider :thumbup

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Maker - Michelin
Model - Pilot Sports
Size - Front 120/70/17, Rear 190/50/17
Installed on - 2000 CBR 929
Ridden for - 18,000 Km
Rating - 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible - 1.5

I would consider them a very good tire, they are pretty sticky and they did wear well. Not so good in the rain, I had the rear break loose on more than one occassion but I was also a tad throttle happy on the 9 so it may have been a bigger contributor than the tires. I was happy enough with them to buy a second set when the stock ones were toast.

Maker - Metzler
Model - Sportec M-1
Size - Front 110/70/17, Rear 150/60/17
Installed on - 2000 DRZ 400S
Ridden for - 6,000 km
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible - 1

These are awesome tires, I totally love them so far. They warm up quickly, and are very sticky. They are also really good in the wet, which is pretty cool. I am hoping they last a reasonably long time, since they perform so well I am a little concerned with tire life and do not want to have to replace my tires every 10k. But so far they still look newish, so after a few thousand more kms I will update this post.

UPDATE: They did not last very long, mainly because supermoto's run psi's so much smaller than sportbikes but overall they are a kick ass tire and I would not hesitate to run them on a sportbike. :)

BTW, great idea Bruce! It would be cool if you could somehow get everyone to follow the same format to make things easier, maybe create a 'Complete a Tire Review' link that would have the format you desire instead of relying on the person to copy and paste. I also agree with Harps, why limit ourselves to just tires? We could use the extra feedback on other items like helmets and clothing. :)

·
Lordco Poster Boy
509 Posts
maker-Bridgestone
model-bt45s
size-can't remember front 140-55-17 rear
installed on-88 cbr 600
ridden for-3000km
rating-2

I've had good luck with these tires. They warmup quickly and have stick quite well when its wet. They don't seem to wear very fast at all either. Possibly because they're bias-ply tires and everyone else seems to run radials. Unfortunately bias-ply tires are all thats available to fit my bike. Good tires though. I would recommend them to anyone who has an older machine that can only use bias-plies

·
Save water, ride oil cool
457 Posts
Maker - dunlop
Model - maxsport
Size - Front 120/70/17, Rear 170/6017
Installed on - 1989 GSXR 750
Ridden for - about 50 km
Rating - 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible - 4

These tires lick ass. The rear has a fat groove in the center like its a freakin aquatread. I think its a touring all season tire. I just bought the bike and these are what the guy had on. What was he thinking? Now i'm deffinatly an amature rider but these tires suck. I found myself "a little" uneasy in the corners as they don't sit like the tires i had on my buddies 88 gix(don't remember the brand -2wheelbandit help me out here ). Perhaps its just my sub par riding abilities but i think i'll just blame it on the tires. So needless to say i prolly gonna pick up a new dunlop rear. 208's look good.

·
Not Hanging Out Here
1,074 Posts
Maker - Bridgestone
Model - Battleax BT45
Size - Front 110/70/17 Rear 140/70/18
Installed on - 1990 FZR600
Ridden for - about 75km's (so far)
Rating - 4.5 (1 poor, 5 good)
Comments - I have to break them in still but so far they are a joy to ride with. Cornering with them is a breeze now. My last set of tires was a mix-match set and the rear was squared off. That was a b?tch to corner with. But now she lays over and tracks real nice. I'm glad I chose these one's instead of the BT010's (which I hear are really good tires as well). I recommend these tires to anyone who wants a nice sport tire and does highway speeds and town speeds.

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/product/Product.asp?group=2&nameID=3&typeID=5&size=

K

·
0 Posts
Maker - Michelin
Model - Pilot Race H2
Size - Front 120/70/17 Rear 180/55/17
Installed on - 98 R1
Ridden for - One track day and several hundred street kms
Rating - 1 (1 excellent)

For those of you looking for a usable street tire that you can take to a track and not rip apart, I definitely recommend these tires. Although Sport Rider complained of slow warm up, I didn't really find this to be a problem. Just spend a few minutes consciously warming them up, and then have at it. AWESOME fast steering, traction, and feedback. Only concern: not much tread, so really bad weather riding could be sketchy.

Maker - Michelin
Model - Pilot Sport
Size - Front 120/70/17 Rear 190/50/17
Installed on - 98 R1
Ridden for - Thousands of all weather kms (Cali and back)
Rating - 1 (1 excellent)

An awesome street tire for fast riding, even in the rain. Quick warm up coupled with good steering and traction lead to a tire that is probably better than anything in its category other than perhaps the new Dunlop 208. I found that the front tire got good mileage (about 8000km for me - how do people get more than 10000?) and the rear lasted about 4500km. Keep in mind that these tires regularly feel all 140 R1 horses.

·
Ridin Dirrty
643 Posts
Maker- Bridgestone
Model- BT010
Size- Rear- 180/55/17
Installed on - 97 CBR900RR
Ridden for-6000 Kms
Rating- 2

Great rubber for the price! I give it a "2" because I don't like how the rear tends to slip ever-so-slightly when taking hard corners. Always catches and grips a millesecond after...but I still find it somewhat "unsettling"

B

·
0 Posts
Maker - Michelin
Model - Pilot Sport
Installed on - 2002 R1
Ridden for - 2000km
Rating - 1

So far they are absolutely amazing, faster warm up,better traction, better in the rain. At first they were weird because they steer heavier than 208's do. but after getting used to them I wont put any other tire on my bike.

Maker - Dunlop
Model - D208
Installed on - 2002 R1
Ridden for - 7500km
Rating - 4

crappy tire, the back wore off in 7500km. the front was at 40% at this point, they do warm up quick and the do slide predictable. they are very quick in steering leading to feelings of lack of confidence in the tire but the do steer great. they lose their heat to fast. they suck in the rain. they spin way to easily. switch to pilots and so far I love the pilots!

·
5,114 Posts
Maker- Metzeler
Model- Rennsports
Size- Front 120/70/17 - Rear 190/50/17
Installed on- 1999 TL1000R
Ridden for - 1000 Kms
Rating- 1 Excellent
Comments- Used them at the tradex race school, stick like glue, have 2 inch slicks on both sides, but suck in the rain because of the lack of tread pattern. Heat up really fast and really lightweight.

·
Livin' la Vida Loca
957 Posts
Maker- Bridgestone
Model- BT010
Size- Front 120/60-17
Rear 180/55-17
Installed on - 2000 Yamaha R6
Ridden for 10000 on the front (installed 1st), 4000 Kms on the rear
Rating- 1

I had the 020's before and found the traction nowhere near as confidence inspiring as the 010's. I felt the the edge of the contact patch after some seriously hard conering and it was like flypaper (it was about 25 degrees that day and about 30 minutes of corners.) These were the 1st tires I've had that I put knee down with. And they just got better the more I scuffed the edges. I actually found that sometimes I was running to the inside of the corner, but I had no problems correcting the arc. That says a lot about what the tires are telling you. They do tend to stand up under braking though, but after a while this becomes a predictable trait. Mid-corner bumps aren't a problem either, very nice feedback about what the rear is doing. I'm lookin for a new set of knee pucks......... I've found my tire!

C

·
0 Posts
has anyone riden on a bt012? (the new ones) How is she in comparison to the bt010? thx

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maker- Dunlop
Model- 208's
Size- Front- Rear- 120 front 190 rear
Installed on- 2000 zx9r
Ridden for- 10,000 km's (rear) 2000 kms (front)
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-4
Comments- these tires are great. warm up in minutes, stick great. have had 204's and 207's but have found my poison with the 208's.

G

·
0 Posts
New combo....

I am running a 012 ss in front and an 010 in the rear. I have found this to be an excellent street combination. Fantastic grip, especially the front, they seem to warm up in seconds and I got great milage on this set. 13,500 k out of the front and 8,500 out of the rear, as opposed to 4500 out of the 012 ss rear.

Note: I have upped my tire pressures in an effort to reduce cupping. It worked and with absolutly no loss in gription! Nice little bonus is the extra tire life.

Used to run 34/32 now 38/36

·
Choose freely.
511 Posts
Bridgestone

I'm needing a new set of street tires, and I won't be running them on the track (got Pirelli track tires). In the past I started-out using the BT010 for the track and the street in between, and found it to be a superb tire. Now that I'm used to the BT010, I'd like to try something new/different. I'm looking at the BT012SS, but I'm kindof reluctant because it doesn't have dual aligned compounds for longevity like the BT010. Are people cooking their rear tires so fast because of launching too hard off the line at stop lights and stop signs? Will I be able to make the BT012SS rear last longer by not givin'er in a straight line?

I'm also wondering if I should try what Geo suggested and run BT012SS front and BT010 rear.

Just need some opinions to help me make this decision.

Thanks ya'll!

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Bridgestone

F4eyes said:
Will I be able to make the BT012SS rear last longer by not givin'er in a straight line?
Of course, but then we would have to revoke you squid status!:laughing

As a rule, 600's get better life out of rear tires. Try the ss front, 010 rear. If the back ends not stepping out on ya, no need to trade tire life for grip.

21 - 40 of 126 Posts