BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Legal Alien
35 Posts
Maker-Bridgestone
Model-BT-014
Size- Front- Rear- (120x60x17 & 180x55x17)
Installed on- (Kawi ZX-6R (636)
Ridden for 8000 Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-2
Comments-Keep the pressures spot-on and they're great, last forever and only get a little sketchy when it's wet. 3-4lbs out on pressures and the back end goes mad!

·
Legal Alien
35 Posts
Maker-Dunlop
Model-Sportmax M3
Size- Front- Rear- (120x70x17 & 180x55x17)
Installed on- 2004 GSX-R750
Ridden for 500 Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 4
Comments-Only had the bike for 2 weeks and only liked the tires once. They're brilliant when they are SUPER-HOT but under any other circumstances, they suck more than anything I've ever had the displeasure to own. I'd like to fire them into space, so if anyone can ell me which out of BT-014's or Corsa 3's I should buy, I'd be eternally greatful.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Maker - Pirelli
Model - Diablo
Size - 120 - 180
Installed on - '04 CBR600RR
Ridden for 5,000 Kms
Rating - 1
Comments - Wow. Is all I gotta say. So solid and sticky. Very confidence inspiring. I've never felt so comfortable with the bike at knee-dragging lean angles. Slightly steeper profile than my previous set (Bridgestones). Dropping into a curve feels so smooth and effortless. I highly recommend these tires.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Maker - Michelin
Model - Pilot Power 2CT
Size - 120/70 - 180/55
Installed on - 2006 CBR600 F4i
Ridden for ~8000km (still on the bike)
Rating - * * * * *
Comments - Awesome tyres. Very confidence inspiring - the only time they've come anywhere near to sliding out on me was at Mission on turn 3 (there was oil spilled earlier in the day). I use my bike for commuting and some faster riding in the evenings. I hadpilot powers before, and they gave lots of grip, but the 2ct's are out of this world. Even on the first lap of the sessions at Mission, I was giving her lots and they just gripped. My old pilot powers lasted for almost 15000km, so we'll see how long these last ......

·
Registered
340 Posts
Maker - Michelin
Model - Pilot Power 2CT
Size - 120/70 - 180/55
Installed on - 2003 CBR600RR
Ridden for one Mission trackday
Rating: See below

Well, it was a cool day, and it started to rain in the afternoon. While these tires performed well in the dry, they didn't work as well as I thought in wet conditions. I guess my expectations were driven by reports from people who had supposedly dragged knee in the wet with these tires - impossible for me. At the end of the second wet session I eventually tucked the front end in turn 7 at a very slow speed. The lesson is, if you want to go fast in the rain, get dedicated rain tires.

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Maker-Metzler
Model-Z6 Roadtec
Size- Front-120/70ZR17 Rear-180/55ZR17
Installed on- Kawasaki Z1000
Ridden for 6500Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-2
Comments- I installed these for a two week long trip down to Nevada and back up through Utah. Weather never got stinking hot as I expected but there was lots of high speed running across the wide expanses of Nevada. They held up decently well at 6500 km's of mostly fairly fast riding and hung in there well running through some serious cold wet rainy conditions in the hills with no slipping or sliding. In the dry I got them down enough to reduce the chicken strips to 1/2 an inch without a squirm of any sort. Felt light but planted. At 6500 kms they are showing a fairly pronounced flat center on the rear which is affecting the handling a little. With the lack of super hot conditions I would have expected them to wear slightly less than they did but it's also likely that the speeds involved added to the wear. Still, given what they went through I'm happy. The strong point from our local perspective is the good performance in the wet. I'm planning on the odd track day with this bike so I'll likely change back to Pilot Powers but if I wasn't doing track days I'd have no issues with using these tires on my bike or even a sportbike that is only ridden aggresively occasionally.

·
just enjoying the ride...
148 Posts
New Avon Storm's fer my Busa

Maker- Avon
Model- Storm ST
Size- Front-120/70 HB17 73W AV56 $225
Rear- 190/50 HB17 73W AV55 $159
Installed on- 2000 Busa, slightly modded, racetech susp, trees dropped 3/8"
Ridden for 300 kms just short weekend blitz
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1 Very happy... so far
Comments-
*Cost + re/re($85) + supplies($10) + txs = $584.09 ** also had brake & clutch fluid re/re bleed & 1 frame helicoil installed lowers/fairing bolt. Job was well done, no complaints, Dave gave me a break on the price of the tires, mentioned these were fluctuating in price lately.
* Replacing set BT 012s (same sizes) rear tire to wear bars. Wanted tires that gave more center tread life and warmed up quicker in cooler weather. Although I found a couple old reports indicating some cupping, the vast majority felt these tires were outstanding. This weekend blitz to Harrison these tires performed flawlessly.
* Shop installer felt tires were sticky as some of hi-perf street-sport tires they install. Owner Dave mentioned he was gonna order set for family member after seeing mine.
* Cool unexpected benefit: Not sure if it's just that their new, but the tire/ride height was significant enough that I felt I'd gone up a tooth on my front sprocket. High torque motor ate this up giving me way longer legs in lower gears... much increase in fun factor!:coffee

** ON SALE: Just got email from Bike Bandit 30% off this tire!!
*NOTE: Not all shops will install tires they don't sell you...
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3326?WT.mc_id=673139

** 08June08_UPDATE... these tires remain outstanding in performance and in fact fulfill the promise that they make your bike perform like it dropped 100lbs! :evilgrin

** 08August10_UPDATE... Still loving these tires overall, especially the handling characteritics. Awesome cold, dry or wet. HOWEVER... I have been able to overdrive them straight up... Seems the duarbility of the centre rubber means less hook up... Where I would normally blip the throttle in 1st and second and have a little fun picking up the front I now get wheel spin AND on one occaision, hard braking I was a little unsettled to have the front wheel slide on me (dry road) :evilgrin :evilgrin

http://masterwitt.com/_bike/08May16_Busa-tires 001_s.jpg

http://masterwitt.com/_bike/08May16_Busa-tires 003_s.jpg

http://masterwitt.com/_bike/08May16_Busa-tires 004_s.jpg

·
Unregistered rider
963 Posts
I got good price on new bridgestone battle axe. $289 for the pair. can't go wrong. I wanted the michlens but i can get two set for a litte more.
does anyone know how much of a difference there is between bridgestone and michlens (yes i can't spell worth s**T

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
I got good price on new bridgestone battle axe. $289 for the pair. can't go wrong. I wanted the michlens but i can get two set for a litte more.
does anyone know how much of a difference there is between bridgestone and michlens (yes i can't spell worth s**T

You could clarify that a bit. Bridgestone makes a lot of tires, so does Michelin. For all we know you could be comparing the Bridgestone ED11's to the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's.

Read THIS REVIEW, I posted it 3 days ago.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Dunlop D616 from EDR Performance

I was looking for a front tire in Aug., I've put 20,000km on Dunlop Qualifier, it was passed the wear indicator, and sides of tire (about 45 degrees) were bold.

Because long lasting life is the most important for me, I was looking for sport touring, but very few places carry them in stock as they're not popular.

I've heard about EDR Performance in Portland, OR in other forum, it sounded like they have many good reputations. I called them, they said they don't have any front sport touring tires, and order one for me for about US$110-130. They told me they're having a special for D616, US$205 a pair. I had less than 10,000km on Bridgeston BT021 on rear, and it seemed still a lot of life to go, but with this killer deal, I couldn't resist to get a new pair. Another good news is that they charge only $20/wheel to mount them on the bike. Vancouver dealers, are you listening?!?!

I wanted to book an appointment as it's in the middle of 'riding season', and I was going thru Portland as a part of my trip. I was told they don't take appointments for tires, as it takes only half an hour a wheel to mount.

I showed up there first thing in the morning. The shop was in downtown Portland, very nice part, kinda similar to Yaletown here. Shop was small (about the size of 5th Gear), yet clean and neat. They have bench, free (!) soft drinks, while you watch thru a window mechanics to work on your bike.

A nice Oregon girl Sara, or should I say a parts person told me it'd take an hour to mount them. I could watch my bike being worked, but I took a walk around the shop, had some nice breakfast, then came back. I didn't mind waiting for a few hours in such a nice district of Portland, to be honest.

So the total bill came as US$245, no sales tax in Oregon!

The D616 did look really cool in person, very unique look with deep tread for a sport tire. Dunlop classifies as the Qualifier is more sport oriented than D616, but I felt D616 was as sticky as Qualifier was, although I've ridden on track only with that Qualifier-front and BT021-rear pair. D616 also provides excellent grip in wet, which I think that deep tread pattern helps cutting through water.

Before my last trip to CA&NV, I've put 9,000km on them. Here are pics of front and rear. The rear had about 1mm deep towards the wear indicator.

Full of chicken strips even after 9,000km! :spinsmile

Note the wear indicator in about centre of the photo.

I've noticed I lean harder when making left turns, so you see some chicken strips on right side only.

My plan was to get a new rear at EDR during this trip, Sara told me there's no specials going on, but almost all of models are between $150-160 for a rear including D616. The front still got plenty of tread depth. I wouldn't mind another D616 rear, but the wet Vancouver winter is coming, so this time I'd rather go back to BT021 rear. She ordered one for me, and ready when I pass by.

On my way back from NV early this week, it was really cold, so I decided not to go through Portland, and go home as straight route possible. I have another day offs next week, so I'll drop by there.

Now I've put 12,000km on the pair, the wear indicator showed up in rear, however, the tread is still really deep outside the center of rear tire. The front is still good.

After all, I'm very happy with D616 and EDR Performance, I highly recommend them.

·
Urban Squid
991 Posts
Maker-Dunlop
Model-D208
Installed on- GSXR600
Ridden for 12000kms
Rating- 4
Comments- The best thing about these tires were how long lasting they were. Other than that I wasn't too happy. They took a long time to warm up, offered up pretty poor traction overall, and would break away quite easily and unpredictably. Due to lack of confidence in the tire, I rode like a baby in the rain so can't comment on how they are closer to the wet limits.

I believe I paid about $380 for the set in Vancouver, unsure if that included mounting or not.

·
Urban Squid
991 Posts
Maker- Bridgestone
Model- BT002RS
Size- Front-120/70ZR17 Rear-190/55ZR17
Installed on- GSXR1000
Ridden for currently at 600kms
Rating- 1
Comments- Dual compound street tire with some track day capabilities. have only been riding on them for 600 klicks, but compared to the BT014s on the bike before, these tires rock! I went to a parking lot to scrub the edges off and they were very grippy, confidence inspiring and gave amazing feedback. It's quite easy to tell when you are riding on the last 10% of the edge of the tire. I don't expect the life to be too high, but if I can get 7000kms out of them I'll be happy.

These came to $430 installed in Beijing

·
Registered
720 Posts
Maker-Bridgestone
Model-BT021
Installed on- ZX7
Rating- 3
( When I bought this bike it had these tires, which I swapped out...these tires SUCK at high lean angles, you get alot of slippage, esp over lines etc)

Maker-Bridgestone
Model-BT014
Installed on- ZX7
Rating- 2
I actually like the BT014's, had them for a full season last year on the ZX7. no slippage, and good in rain.

Maker-Bridgestone
Model-BT54r
Size- Rear-180/55ZR17
Installed on- R6
Rating- 2.5
surprisingly a decent tire considering its sport-touring rated. I never found any slippage, was easy to ride edge to edge and it wore well even though it had some heat cracking - Bike came with this rear tire, which I swapped out.

Maker-Bridgestone
Model-BT014
Size- Front-120/65ZR17 Rear-180/55ZR17
Installed on- R6
Rating- 2
I was going to try the BT016 this year but the bike I bought (R6) already had the BT014 front when the rear wore out, so just popped a rear on to match out.
The BT's all have a more rounded profile than the Michelin's, which are quite peaky if you want really fast turn-in.

I pay very little for my tires (working at a shop), but I usually price the BT014 for about $300 a pair. I sell mainly BT's and PP.

·
338 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Another updated link to the annual tire test done by Motorrad magazine...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.motorradonline.de/d/259534?&ref_id=259519&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=8&ct=result&prev=/search?q=pirelli+diablo+corsa+III+metzeler+sportec+m3&start=20&hl=en&sa=N

if you click on the brands on the left it gives you a breakdown of what tire they tested and the results..
god i love those web translation programs:

the Diable Rosso 3, for example:

For that reason alone, because these properties do not leave even when hot tires...

But nothing changes the fact that the Diablo absolutely safe in wet weather, plowing with precise turn-in and no underhanded by the floods...

Even the Wet Test with flying colors, he is, has no real critical points and can also Track-days off loosely...

omfg, that's sooo good!

(oops, thread drift - i apologize...)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
...so i'll make up for the digression by posting a couple summaries:

Maker- Avon
Model- Storm ST AV55
Size- Front- 120/60 17 Rear- 160/60 17
Installed on- '08 sv650 naked
Ridden for - rear: 10,500 Kms to wear bars, 11,500 kms to cord. front still maybe 20%-30% when changed out with rear
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-__ = 2.5
Comments- bought 'em mainly cuz the english websites liked 'em in the wet. loved the initial ease of turning. grippy at a track day. never felt insecure in the dry; had a couple 'slips' in the wet. BUT: they squared off (maybe i commute too much?), and the centre of the rears went before i would have wished. so i switched to:

Maker- Michelin
Model- Road Pilot 2CT
Size- Front- 120/60 17 Rear- 160/60 17
Installed on- SV650
Ridden for: rear: 8500 Kms, front: still going strong at 10,000 kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-__ = 3
Comments- my initial impressions were very positive. the RP's took a bit more effort to turn in than the Storms (rounder profile?), but they were stable at any lean, making holding a line easy. very nice to ride - no lack of grip in the dry - very confidence inspiring - but i never did get to use 'em in the wet! put 'em on end august, wore 'em out early october.
BUT: squared off the rear and ran it down into the wear bars in 8500 kms, almost all of which was twisty secondary highway sport-touring (i.e. riding heeled over, not upright) - considering this is a dual-compound tire, i expected more. so i swapped out the rear for:

Maker- Shinko
Model- Podium
Size- Rear- 150/60 17
Installed on- same ole' SV
Ridden for only 500 Kms so far
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-__ way too early to rate; i'll let u know in the spring...
Comments- had to run this tire home from wenatchee when the avon met its end on the road, and despite being non-standard size (all i could source at the time), the bike behaved well, and as i gained confidence in the tire i was able to ride pretty much as hard as i had done on the Avon or Michelin. so when the Michelins gave out early, i swapped this back in for the winter. we'll see... but, you know what, the bike steers quicker with the smaller section rear than it did otherwise - kinda nice. prolly doesn't have the grip of the big names, but it's winter, the roads are cold and wet, and i'm not looking to be riding at the edge for quite a few months. and did i mention cheap?

cheers,

·
Registered Luser
397 Posts
Haven't seen much activity on this thread so I thought I'd chime in on a newer model of tire.

Maker: Pirelli
Model: Angel
Size: Front- 120/70 17 Rear- 180/55 17
Installed on: '07 Ducati GT1000
Ridden for: 9000 km
Rating: 1 (Excellent)

The angel image that is on the tire wears away after about 500km - good thing 'cuz it's kinda goofy lookin'. That's the only negative thing I have to say about these tires. The grip is great. I haven't really tested the grip on wet pavement but the higher silica content in the compound is supposed to make it really good. The stability at lean angles is what I'm most impressed by. These are rock steady and stable. They have a very neutral feel - typical of a good sport-touring tire. They won't tip in as quickly as a sport tire, but I wouldn't call them sluggish when entering a corner either. The mileage is awesome on these too. I've got 9000 km on these and probably have another 9000 km in them.
Can't recommend them highly enough.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts