BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the valve mechanism in a Bridgestone BT45 tire. Does anyone know if I need to get the long ones or the short ones? I don't want to remove the faulty one to check until I have a replacement on hand so I can work on it all in one shot.

Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
if you have a short valve stem, stick with a short valve stem.

what "valve mechanism" are you referring to? the valve itself? it screws out of the stem. if you have a metal cap with the nipple on top, invert it, stick it inside, and it will unscrew the valve. you shouldn't need to replace the stem unless you've knocked it with something and it no longer seals at the rim.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep... it's the valve inside that screws out with the spring. The one currently installed on the tire is faulty and air escapes quite quickly as it doesn't appear to seal. I have the $5 tool for removing it.

It's just that when I went to Canadian Tire, I was suprised to see two sizes.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Is it possible to replace stock, straight valve stems with those curved 90 degrees like on the Triumphs?

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the link, dude! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Danke said:
Kamen's looking for a "valve core", and that's an easy swap.
Yah... that's the term! Valve cores are available in short and long sizes. I was just wondering which one the BT45's use. I guess I'll just have to put the bike on a rear stand and remove the bad one to find out. :horse

·
umm... yeah
203 Posts
hey,

i work at kal tire on annacis, we have thousands of those kicking around. There are short ones with no spring attatched and long ones with a spring attatched. The spring ones suck ass, just swap it for the shorter one regardless

Matt

D

·
0 Posts
kamen rider said:
Yah... that's the term! Valve cores are available in short and long sizes. I was just wondering which one the BT45's use. I guess I'll just have to put the bike on a rear stand and remove the bad one to find out. :horse

BT45s don't use anything.

it's the rim and stem spec, not the tire spec, that matters.

removing the valve would have been the first thing to do. it's not like it can't be put back in and the tire pumped up again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts