BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realistically, if I left Vancouver @ around 5:30pm on at Thursday...what time would I make it to Portland Oregan? On average....including border stops...at an easy pace.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kewl...I was guesstimating 11:30....from the Airport. This is going to be leg one of a trip to Vegas. Planning Vancouver--->Portland---->Reno( checking out the Air Races... 2 day stay)-----> Vegas

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
you guys drive fuking slow!!

border to portland in 4 hours bitches.

and if you leave at 5:30, you should hit Seattle at 7:30-8, so it should be fast trought there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah we'll be in slow bitch mode....The group will include my gf( new rider) and my best friend who rides a Harley

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
RavenR1 said:
Yeah we'll be in slow bitch mode....The group will include my gf( new rider) and my best friend who rides a Harley

i did this in a car!!...anywho.. if your riding to vegas... FILL UP BEFORE THE DESERT... and your tires will have a flat centre by the end of the trip

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree, in a car its 4 hrs from the border.
On a bike, well depends on alot of variables. One thing is for sure I-5 is boring as hell.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
You guys are speed demons for sure. It's easy to speed on the highway, but how do you avoid the tax collectors? Luck?

·
Lee RideFar
5,463 Posts
Miteorite said:
You guys are speed demons for sure. It's easy to speed on the highway, but how do you avoid the tax collectors? Luck?
Try to look inconspicuous! but that is kinda hard when riding...

There are tonnes of cops in Washington but hardly any in Oregon. Once you hit the Oregon border crack it!

1.5 years ago me and a buddy of mine made it from the oregon coast through portland and to the border in 5.5 hours.

For all your surfers out there. It is cheaper (and faster) to drive to the oregon coast than to take the ferry and go to Tofino.

D

·
0 Posts
expect to have a wait at the border. could be an hour or more.
4 hour straight shot down i-5. yes. you can do it in that time. as long as you miss seattle rush hour. factor in that time.
gonna stop for a break? you will need gas somewhere if you are riding. the gf will want to stop for sure for a break or two.
factor in weather (they are getting worse rain than us here), slow pace for your gf and your buddy......

and you get there around midnite.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not many cops in Ore. but when they get you they REALLY get you.
The fines down there are outrageous. My cousin lives down there and has had some hell expensive tickets.

D

·
0 Posts
great. this will be an 8 page thread on something that won't happen for another 9 months.

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
4 hours from the border to Portland? EXTREMELY RARE. I just drove it 2 weeks ago:

Border crossing @ 9am
Arrived @ my destination in Vancouver, WA (just across the river from Portland) and it was 3:30. Mind you it was absolutely pouring the whole time and it was a Saturday. 6.5 hours is worst case scenario.

Seattle traffic is shit no matter what time of day, I have never gotten through there cleanly. You WILL encounter at least 1 delay on the I5, expect to come to a dead stop / crawl for 30-45 mins @ least once.

Riding there for Laguna Seca this year it took us 4.5 hours. Averaging 90mph it still took us 4.5 hours from the border with moderate traffic and only 1 delay in Olympia.

·
Urban Squid
991 Posts
I have driven down to Cali 4 times in the past 3 years and gotten 3 tickets, each of them in Oregon. And the last 2 times was with a V1 detector. The I-5 in Oregon blows because you have these truckers taking all 3 lanes going up the mountains trying to push 1 mph over 30 in order to beat the guy going 29 next to him. Also Oregoners are vigilante's, one time I got pulled over the cop said he had recieved 4 phone calls about my 'reckless speeding'. One cop wouldn't even let me question why he was giving me a ticket and threatened to haul me off to jail if I said another word. Thank god the judges aren't too bad; I sent a plea bargain letter and she voided the ticket he gave me (following too closely). Anyways, the I-5 is rife with tax collectors, invest in a good radar detector and you'll make good time and be much more relaxed. Just beware of Oregon.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
About six hours from Vancouver sounds about right.

Run the border line, take the Nexus lane and cut in. Why? Because Customs doesn't care, the cagers never seem to see you any other time, so why should they start now, and really, who's going to cause a roadrage incident 4 cars from
the customs booths? :)

10 km/hr over the limit's ok, but keep a sharp eye out for the LEO's. I-5 is heavily patrolled, and they're looking for people that stand out. They use airplanes on clear days as well, keep your eyes peeled on the sky at every flat spot you feel like gunning it, look up too.

Running radar never hurts. Rabbits in front of you are good too. WA state has a LOT of unmarked cars, including Volvos that are equipped with video cameras, looking specificly for aggressive and idiot drivers on major routes. Don't be an idiot, be smooth, flow with traffic, and be courteous, they won't bother you.

Oregon LEO's are few and far between - statewide. Probably half the troopers are on I-5 though. Beware.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts