BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooo ... how many of you lube your chain? I don't. Just clean it using WD-40 once in a while and my chain lasted me 30k. Having to use chain lube has got to be one the biggest bike myths out there.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
chain lube?

I use WD-40 for short hops and o-ring chain lube any week long trips.My original chain now has 44,304km on it..............ken.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told to lube it every 400-500km. Which I agree is way to much. Its a sealed system for godsakes.

I do mine about every 3 or 4 fillups, and I hate the mess.

Although its not that hard to put it up on the stand and spray some lube, wipe before next ride and its done.

ttyl.

·
518 Posts
Re: chain lube?

Lubing helps keep the links pliable, even the so-called self-lubing o-ring chains. When the chain starts losing it's "pliability" due to heating up with no lube, it develops tight spots, which means the engine has to work harder to roll the chain and the bike effectively loses horsepower. Tight spots also prematurely wear down sprocket teeth and generally shorten the life of a chain. With regular lubing a good chain can last thousands of miles over its expected life.

Even with o-ring chains, where each link is sealed and therefore considered self-lubricating, lubing your chain still makes the wheel turn more easily and also protects the chain from dirt (and therefore lost horsepower).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
freshr1 said:
Soooooo ... how many of you lube your chain? I don't. Just clean it using WD-40 once in a while and my chain lasted me 30k. Having to use chain lube has got to be one the biggest bike myths out there.
Resistance is futile non-chain luber...You will be assimilated!

note to others: This is a running issue with Freshy and I, I on one hand insist that he should lube his chain, on the other hand, he insists on not lubing it. Oh well, what can I do, he outweighs me by 50 lbs.

Oh and another thing, I'm not a "trekkie", I just figured the borg comment was appropriate!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You know, I am an avid luber. And without a doubt thought it was ridiculous to go without chain lube, but lately I've heard otherwise.

Personally, I would love to forgo the messy chain lube and cleaning but I'm still with the lubers on this one. What are the negatives to lubing the chain?

I would think that the gunk that gets caught on the chain could do some damage.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I lube my chain when I remember or when I plan on long day trips, such as duffy lake, etc...

Lube/oil/waxing the chain not only helps the chain but also helps the sprockets, although I to agree every 500km is to much. But it should be done once in awhile.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A buddy never did it ever, and ended up losing a couple teeth. If you ride in the rain/wet or go on long rides in the summer you should do it quite often. Regardless its a pretty good idea so I do it every 500 KM or so.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
I say lube, but not NEARLY as much as the lube manufacturers state. After all the more you lube the more money they make. I see it as "o-ring conditioning". Like I said, once after a rain ride or two or when I've given the bike a good cleaning. And VERY sparingly at that. If you are getting crap on your wheels you've obviously lubed too much cause it aint on the chain anymore. Chains are cheap insurance. Buy one every year I say.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other option is to use a wax spray. Like the belray.

Only thing is it leaves your chain with this bluish/white color. Which I didn't like. So I'd have to lube, let set, clean with wd-40.

I'm trying a more oil based lube now, and although it doesn't change the color of your chain, it sure does leave a mess.

Either way you have to clean :)

Eddie, just curious, what else do you use on the different parts of your bike to clean them.

Thanks.

·
518 Posts
the best method I use is to lube it after riding,because the chain is still warm, let it sit overnight, this allows the solvents in the lube to evaporate.... then take a rag in your hand and totally wipe off as much lube as possible...this helps to minimize the lube flying EVERYWHERE!

I lube mine roughly every 1000k's

WD40 works good for cleaning off overspray and chains.....

but the best chain cleaner to date is good ol' Kerosean,
the O rings love that suff... and after cleaning my chain I just ride it for a while then lube......

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
I lube my chain very little. I wipe it down with a dead rag. Then after a 5 minute ride (waiting 20 mins for it to dry) I wipe off any crap from my white wheels with Mothers Aluminum polish. Works wonders.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, thats what I do exactly.

And you HAVE to do it while the chain is warm, else there is no point. If the chain is not warm, nothing will soak into the o-ring, and thats where you want the lube going.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
I used to use gear oil to lube my chain. It stinks, flings off everywhere, and doesn't last long when riding in the rain.

I now use PJ1 blue-label. There is very little fling off with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
i lube the chain every 1000 clicks. sometimes more if i've been in the rain alot.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got close to 33k on my R1 now and never lube. Chain's still fine and so are the sprockets. Even if not lubing reduces the life of my chain, so what?! A chain is cheap and so are sprockets. I just hate having to lube it and then cleaning up the mess. Also consider this - lube attracts more dirt and other small particles to get stuck to your chain. Ever since I stopped lubing, my chain is much cleaner and so are my rims. Food for though ...

·
Registered
872 Posts
it can be argued that wd-40 gets into where the o-rings hold in the grease and washes it away. apparently, only cleaning the surface of the chain then using chainwax is the best way, and dont use anything which penetrates the o-rings. :confused

1 - 20 of 28 Posts