BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking around for a mid-range set of roller cabinet and tool chest. I wonder if I can get some input on where to get them and if you have had good use out of them. The one I kindda like is the Husky Pro 10 drawers set the have at Home Depot for around 400 or $600. Hoping to get something a bit less expensive or at least on sale. I dont mind getting a used set if someone want to sell theirs and upgrade.

No, I don't want the cheapie Waterloo or whatever they sell at Crappy Tires and Walmart. They all look like they are made out of tinfoil.

D

·
0 Posts
check out the chests at princess auto. they will be above the waterloo stuff, and still be reasonably priced.

lordco has chests too, but they run in the thousands.

costco is another option. they do sell chests.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
check out sears, see if they have any on sale on the weekends, or check their store by lougheed mall where they clear out stuff. Mastercraft.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Sears has some decent ones. I like the Professional Series ones that they have. Rollar bearings and each drawer has a simple latch. It's actually nicer than my MAC box. They have a new model that's blue, pretty cheap, and also has the roller bearing drawers.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Here is what princess auto has (direct from there catalog)

I recently picked up letter #E, deep drawer in middle rules. Good for putting odd size items in.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Waterloo's high end with roller slides are pretty nice. Lordco was selling, may still be. Was prett close in quality to my Snap-on but @ 1/2 the price. Also, Costco has recently has a very nice stainless steel top and bottom for about a grand.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No, I don't want the cheapie Waterloo or whatever they sell at Crappy Tires and Walmart. They all look like they are made out of tinfoil.
If I can make a suggestion. Don't get caught up on trying to get an expensive MAC or Snap-On or whatever. Waterloo is just fine and so is Mastercraft. I have a cheap Mastercraft($400) that I have been using as an Aircraft Mechanic for 7 years...and it's served me well. It's never given me any probs...I even dropped it off the roof of my car when I first got it( different story altogether:laughing ) and drawers all still worked fine.

The only thing I would like different...and it's not a big deal....is roller bearing drawers. Other than that get the best price toolbox for the size you need and spend the money you saved on better tools!:coffee

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
RavenR1 said:
If I can make a suggestion. Don't get caught up on trying to get an expensive MAC or Snap-On or whatever. Waterloo is just fine and so is Mastercraft. I have a cheap Mastercraft($400) that I have been using as an Aircraft Mechanic for 7 years...and it's served me well. It's never given me any probs...I even dropped it off the roof of my car when I first got it( different story altogether:laughing ) and drawers all still worked fine.

The only thing I would like different...and it's not a big deal....is roller bearing drawers. Other than that get the best price toolbox for the size you need and spend the money you saved on better tools!:coffee
Here Here :cheers

S

·
0 Posts
i'm lazy and don't go out to buy a lot of tools so the span-off guy gets my hard earned.

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I dont plan to turn wrench for a living so Snap-On is a bit beyond my need. I need some money leftover for my bike and trailer.

Sears sounds good except the one I visit, North Van, hardly got anything there. I'll also check out Princess Auto. I need to pick up some farm stuff anyway. Thanks for the input.

S

·
0 Posts
tools are a nasty habit. it's like candy for grown men. fuckin truck full of goodies. damnit why am i always broke?

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
ssblade said:
tools are a nasty habit. it's like candy for grown men. fuckin truck full of goodies. damnit why am i always broke?
been there done that, and i know your pain,,, after 21 yrs in the auto trade i have 35,000 in tools. the box alone was 7 grand. i know of guys who have spent even more:noevil

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
you guys keep track of your tool purchases?!?! when i get off the snap on truck i don't even look at the invoice. just take it home and put it in my reciept box. i don't want to cry.
but ya got a crasftsman in my garage, snap-on chest for work.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I have a Waterloo in my shop and I've never had a problem with it. Keep in mind, boys, it just holds the damn tools. It doesn't do any work for ya. :)

D

·
0 Posts
i got the cheapie waterloos on sale at cambodian tire. my only complaint is they are too small. i have 3 of them now.

S

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind, boys, it just holds the damn tools. It doesn't do any work for ya
if the drawers look like a bomb just hit everytime you have to slam them shut cuz they don't have bearings then they can actually work against you. non roller bearing is fine for home but a mechanic doesn't need the frustration of slamming stupid friction slides shut all day long.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Good point, ssblade, but isn't that what socket holders and wrench trees are for? :)

S

·
0 Posts
SpideRider said:
Good point, ssblade, but isn't that what socket holders and wrench trees are for? :)

i think i'm just obsessive-compulsive about my tools. if i open a drawer i can tell within seconds just by a glance if there's a tool missing. i only use one really big fuckin hammer and a 50 year old crescent wrench though so i guess it's easy to see if one is missing.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You know you've had 25+ days of rain when a thread about tool chests goes for 2 pages!

On another note: What do you boys use to line your drawers with? I'm not talking Depends here, well maybe for Tee Tee.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts