BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Du lait Amour?
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a torque wrench in the 20 - 150 ft lbs range. I know that a click type is more accurate than the beam type. But for the higher torque application, would the deviation be significant enough for the 4x price difference?? Any input is welcome. Thanx:thumbup

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
I just bought a Craftsman torque wrench. comes in 2 sizes...one for ft pounds, and one for inch pounds. I got the foot pounds, and will probaly get the inch pounds later. it was 99 bucks regular price, got it on sale for 20% off

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
they're fairly accurate, except at the 'end ranges,' of their capabilities.
Even Home Depot sells a decent torque wrench, around $100 or so....10% off this weekend....

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Wait for the sale at Canadian tire if you have time. You probabaly can get one for $69. I saw it on sale a couple weeks ago. Or eBay it!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
The issue I have with the beam style ones is that they have to be used in a way that you can see the numbers and to keep your head more or less directly over the scale for an accurate reading. If you're not on the axis then the reading can be way off. Not to mention that this requirement to see the needle over the scale means that you are often working your leverage all oddly and it's hard on you. The click type ones can be used totally blind from any angle and purchase . For that reason alone I suggest you just shop around at all the various stores and get the best price you can on a clicker type.

Princess Auto, Can Tire, Sears, KMS Tools, House of Tools... did I miss any?

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
What do you use a torque wrench for that is not high precision? I know I am a lazy flat-rater mechanic but I only use a TW when truely needed and then I absolutely want at least a somewhat decent degree of precision.

I love Snap-on Tools but I don't think you really need one here. I have used plenty of $100-150 TW's with good success. Just don't drop it / bang it / pry with it :horse

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Shervin, you think those beam ones are calibrated? They are based stricktly on how the main beam bends. And that is somewhat related to the alloy of the moment but I'll bet they don't alter the scale to suit.

A note about the clicker types. Most of the instructions will suggest that you back them off to a low or nil torque setting when not in use.

Also you can "calibrate" any of them in a moment if you have a fish scale and know the length of your torque wrench. If it's 18 inches from the drive square to the handle then grab the drive square in a vise, set the TW to 60 ft-lbs and then pull on it with the fish scale and a loop or light rope around the handle. At around 40 lbs of pull on the scale the TW should show 60 or click for you. If you don't have a vise then use a crescent wrench on the drive square and rest the handle on a bathroom scale. At 40 lbs indicated the TW should click or show 60 on the scale.

·
Slowpoke
65 Posts
I bought mine at cdn tire during a sale.

Right now Sears is having a sale on all craftsman tools. You might want to check there.

·
As Cool as I dare to be
71 Posts
TeeTee said:
Also you can "calibrate" any of them in a moment if you have a fish scale and know the length of your torque wrench. If it's 18 inches from the drive square to the handle then grab the drive square in a vise, set the TW to 60 ft-lbs and then pull on it with the fish scale and a loop or light rope around the handle. At around 40 lbs of pull on the scale the TW should show 60 or click for you. If you don't have a vise then use a crescent wrench on the drive square and rest the handle on a bathroom scale. At 40 lbs indicated the TW should click or show 60 on the scale.
Hey Tee Tee, would it also work to measure off 12" from the drive square, and pull from there with the fish scale? That should have the TW, and the fish scale read the same number right? I figure it's easier than calculating the pull on a longer or shorter lever arm.

Kith.

S

·
0 Posts
it's been covered many times. snap-off torque wrenches are awesome. they should only be used when the torque value really matters cuz if you can't figure out how tight most nuts and bolts should be than you shouldn't be working on it.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
You can't pull on the bar types at other than at the handle since the final reading relies on a smooth bend of the bar. So no cheating allowed.

I should have mentioned that the 12/18 thing was only to illustrate the ratio. Most likely YOUR TW won't be so polite as to have exactly an 18 inch reach from the drive square to the handle so you'll need to do some math to figure out the proper ratio.

For the clicky type of TW yeah, you could put the fish scale at the 12 inch mark as long at it's part of the handle and not the the drive end. Or you could put a block of wood on the bathroom scale and make sure the contact point was at the 12 inch mark.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very good idea Tee Tee, but the fish scale must be calibrated first in order
to use it to calibrate the torque wrench. You can use weights to calibrate
the fish-scale and use a scale or digital-scale to calibrate the weights. But it is best to leave it to an ISO Calibration Company to calibrate your tools. They can also give you before & after readings also A2LA(accredit cert)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
ssblade said:
it's been covered many times. snap-off torque wrenches are awesome. they should only be used when the torque value really matters cuz if you can't figure out how tight most nuts and bolts should be than you shouldn't be working on it.
I agree, snap on tork wrenches are the best...although they cost ya, I paid 350.00 plus tax for my 3/8 drive snap on tork wrench...

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
A note about the clicker types. Most of the instructions will suggest that you back them off to a low or nil torque setting when not in use.

:imwithstu :rockon Very important

1 - 17 of 17 Posts