BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Original Pirate Material
1,071 Posts
Sick setup, why hardbags? Why not go super light and pack a high quality waterproof duffle?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fair question. Here's why :

I have ridden with hard bags for nearly 25 years and they have never leaked once on the 3 different bikes that I've had them on. A couple of years ago, riding from Tennessee, I rode for a day at the front edge of a tropical storm. So much rain that by the end of the day, I did not have a stitch of dry clothing on. My tank and tail bag covers were also penetrated by the rain. My hard bag contents were dry as a bone so I was able to change into something dry for dinner. Last year the rain in New Brunswick was so bad I couldn't see. Same dry hard bag contents at the end of the day.

The hard bags have locks so are relatively secure. You need a lock to open or remove them. Or a BFH.

I can open the hard bags, remove the inner carry liners, and re-lock the bags in less than a minute. No need to remove them from the bike although some people do - that would be even faster.

I have never liked soft bags. I had them on my KLR including a waterproof duffel. I found them too fussy to get in and out of. And the aesthetics aren't nearly as pleasing as a good hard bag. I do have a soft tail bag that I may use though.

As for being super light, the CBR is already 175 pounds lighter than my FJR so I suspect weight won't be much of a factor. Plus I'm carrying an extra 5-10 pounds around the middle.

I wanted a challenge to see if it could be done well.

And finally, per my photo above, I can serve a dozen cold beer with ice to my friends in a single hard bag. Bet you wouldn't try that with a duffel... :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And while I'm here. I took the CBR for a ride yesterday. Vancouver, Mission, Hope, Clinton, back to the Hwy 99 turn, Lillooet, Pemberton, Vancouver. About 760 Km's / 470 miles. Gas and pit stops only. The only issue was that I found I really do need riser bars to get the weight off of my wrists and maybe better adjust the bar angle. I have Apex riser bars and am waiting for a longer front brake line. Hoping that solves that. Otherwise, that was about it. I think she's a keeper.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wanted to test the limits of the rider ( I knew the bike was ok ) on this bike so I did an Iron Butt ride on CBR last week. Happy to report that the rider came out smelling like a rose ( although that's not what my GF said when I got home). A loop north from Vancouver to Cache Creek, Prince George, McBride, Kamloops, Vancouver. A bit under 1,800 Km's for the day. I picked a day closest to the solstice so it was almost entirely done in daylight. One of the best one day rides ever other than Hwy 1.

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
I wanted to test the limits of the rider ( I knew the bike was ok ) on this bike so I did an Iron Butt ride on CBR last week. Happy to report that the rider came out smelling like a rose ( although that's not what my GF said when I got home). A loop north from Vancouver to Cache Creek, Prince George, McBride, Kamloops, Vancouver. A bit under 1,800 Km's for the day. I picked a day closest to the solstice so it was almost entirely done in daylight. One of the best one day rides ever other than Hwy 1.
That's a bit under 800kms more than I've done in a day and certainly not on a supersport.....gross, lol.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
1800 klicks in a day! That's brutal. I've done 800 on crotch rockets and was very happy to park the bike at the end of the day.
You are one tough nut.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
On my FJR I did about 2,300 Km's in just under 24 hours. That was Winnipeg to Vancouver. My GF was with me but she was riding her VFR.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,268 Posts
That's nuts. My personal record is a 1300km day on an R6, and some 8-9 years later, my shoulders still hurt!

1800km on a superbike sounds a lot like torture!

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I've done 2 Iron Butt runs, small ones,,,,1000 miles in 24 hrs [did it in 21], and 1500 miles in 36 hours [did it in 32]. Did both on a 1990 BMW GS. Learned that this kind of riding is not for me, and also learned that this kind of ride should be done NOT during Labour Day. The herd animals are returning from alpine down to winter valleys, many close calls!!!! Plus its cold at night!!!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts