BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Original Pirate Material
1,068 Posts
Sick setup, why hardbags? Why not go super light and pack a high quality waterproof duffle?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fair question. Here's why :

I have ridden with hard bags for nearly 25 years and they have never leaked once on the 3 different bikes that I've had them on. A couple of years ago, riding from Tennessee, I rode for a day at the front edge of a tropical storm. So much rain that by the end of the day, I did not have a stitch of dry clothing on. My tank and tail bag covers were also penetrated by the rain. My hard bag contents were dry as a bone so I was able to change into something dry for dinner. Last year the rain in New Brunswick was so bad I couldn't see. Same dry hard bag contents at the end of the day.

The hard bags have locks so are relatively secure. You need a lock to open or remove them. Or a BFH.

I can open the hard bags, remove the inner carry liners, and re-lock the bags in less than a minute. No need to remove them from the bike although some people do - that would be even faster.

I have never liked soft bags. I had them on my KLR including a waterproof duffel. I found them too fussy to get in and out of. And the aesthetics aren't nearly as pleasing as a good hard bag. I do have a soft tail bag that I may use though.

As for being super light, the CBR is already 175 pounds lighter than my FJR so I suspect weight won't be much of a factor. Plus I'm carrying an extra 5-10 pounds around the middle.

I wanted a challenge to see if it could be done well.

And finally, per my photo above, I can serve a dozen cold beer with ice to my friends in a single hard bag. Bet you wouldn't try that with a duffel... :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And while I'm here. I took the CBR for a ride yesterday. Vancouver, Mission, Hope, Clinton, back to the Hwy 99 turn, Lillooet, Pemberton, Vancouver. About 760 Km's / 470 miles. Gas and pit stops only. The only issue was that I found I really do need riser bars to get the weight off of my wrists and maybe better adjust the bar angle. I have Apex riser bars and am waiting for a longer front brake line. Hoping that solves that. Otherwise, that was about it. I think she's a keeper.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts