BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for people with experience towing a trailer with a 96 Honda Civic, auto trans.

Now I admit this is a pretty whimpy vehicle for towing.
My manual states that it's not recommended to tow a trailer at all.
However, there's lots of aftermarket hitches from various companies available for my car. I figure people must be buying them.
Can anyone venture a guess as to what the risk of trans failure would be if I decided to tow, say, a load of 1000lb (trailer plus load)?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
GerMan said:
...towing a trailer with a 96 Honda Civic, auto trans...
Can anyone venture a guess as to what the risk of trans failure would be if I decided to tow, say, a load of 1000lb (trailer plus load)?
Bwahahahahahaha!

you're gonna kill that thing.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Make sure to install a transmission cooler along with the hitch, that's the single most important thing you can do in your case. 1000 lbs, is maybe pushing it a bit. Going far?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
silverD said:
Make sure to install a transmission cooler along with the hitch, that's the single most important thing you can do in your case. 1000 lbs, is maybe pushing it a bit. Going far?

Not really, just Boundary Bay and Mission.

M

·
0 Posts
the most stressful thing will be your transmision.
not sure if the transmission can take the load.

and make sure you bought a goo hitch with good installing point, i never trust aftermarket hitches.

D

·
0 Posts
if you take it easy you will be fine. you are not racing after all. just watch the hills if any.. use low gear and go slow up the hills.

i've hauled a sailboat and a jet ski behind a geo storm.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
GerMan said:
Not really, just Boundary Bay and Mission.
Like doug said, take it easy and you'll be fine, but the tranny cooler can't hurt, they're inexpensive and effective.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
+1 on the tranny cooler. If this is your daily driver you'd be shortening it's lifespan of course.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
I got question about towing too!

Would my van (Mazda MPV) be suitable for towing a trailer for a bike? Kinda thinking about getting a track bike.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
coolio said:

Would my van (Mazda MPV) be suitable for towing a trailer for a bike? Kinda thinking about getting a track bike.
If the above stated that it a load of 1000lbs should be able to be towed behind a civic.. then your crappy van could probally do it.

Ryan

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
coolio said:

What year... / MPV's do have an actual tow rating of 3000 lbs..
You should have no problem, other than the standard short wheelbase issues when it comes to towing anything, also front wheel drives are not the best for towing.

The best "minivan" for towing is the GM Astro/Safari, proper rear wheel drive. I have owned two of them over the years and towed many a trailer, great tow vehicle..

Here is info on a year 2000 MPV, ( if the link works that is)

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?year=2000&make=Mazda&model=MPV&trimid=-1

Oh, did I say to install a tranny cooler?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's a thought. I bet that if you do find a hitch for your car, and it was specifically made for your year and model, that it was meant for a bike rack. Even if your Civic is rust free in the rear, I'd bet that the toung weight will kill you rear suspension.

PS, don't drive the #1 around the Valley, there's a cop there that will spot you a mile away and haul you straight to a scale. He's notorius for picking on 1/2T full size p/u's hauling snowmobiles.

D

·
0 Posts
bozo said:
Here's a thought. I bet that if you do find a hitch for your car, and it was specifically made for your year and model, that it was meant for a bike rack. Even if your Civic is rust free in the rear, I'd bet that the toung weight will kill you rear suspension.
so 50 lbs tongue weight is going to kill a civic? yet another reason never to buy one. a small trailer only needs about 125 lbs tongue weight max, depending on the size of the trailer and the load. you want more weight forward than back, so the trailer tracks properly behind the vehicle. for me, about 50 lbs worked great, hauling an 18' boat.

PS, don't drive the #1 around the Valley, there's a cop there that will spot you a mile away and haul you straight to a scale. He's notorius for picking on 1/2T full size p/u's hauling snowmobiles.
where does he usually hang out? i will be sure to drive by him. repeatedly.

nothing he can do about it, as long as it looks all to spec. most passenger cars have a 1000 lb towing/weight capacity limit. my boat, gear, and trailer, about 600-700 lbs. even with my fat ass in the car i am still under that 1000 lbs.

a 1/2t pickup can probably haul about 7500 lbs with no problems.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
doug said:
a 1/2t pickup can probably haul about 7500 lbs with no problems.
Yea, I believe my avalanche is rated for something like 7900lbs in 4wd, little more in rwd.

Ryan

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Gawd said:
Yea, I believe my avalanche is rated for something like 7900lbs in 4wd, little more in rwd.

Ryan
Trivia time, do you know why the RWD only is rated slightly higher than the 4WD version?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
silverD said:
Trivia time, do you know why the RWD only is rated slightly higher than the 4WD version?
No, But i've been wondering, lol.
Why?

Ryan

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
mikeelliot said:
not rans case or anything.
Huh, in english please...

But yes, as the RWD version is a little lighter a vehicle than the 4WD version, it can therefore haul a bit more...

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
bozo said:

That's total BS man....my truck is rated to tow up to 5000 lbs with a BUMPER HITCH!!! That cop should be hauled off to the scale to weigh his intelligence! I'd be more concerned with trucks that have campers on the back with a full cab of people...they are more than likely over their GVW!

in terms of towing...a civic should do just fine with 1000 lbs. Think about it as having 4 big guys in the car plus gear. car is rated for that...no problems. the hitch should be a good one (hidden hitch etc) and they usually have a limit of 2-3000 lbs depending on class. You will probably get a class 4 on there. In any event, I wouldn't worry at all about towing...and like others said, just take 'er easy up the hills! :)

PEte

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
PilotPete said:
...in terms of towing...a civic should do just fine with 1000 lbs. Think about it as having 4 big guys in the car plus gear. car is rated for that...no problems...
most cars in that range are only rated to carry about 6-700lbs total...
passengers and cargo, nothing permitted for tow weight.
(by manufacturers at least)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts