BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did my umpteenth Toy Run today, and had a great time. The turnout was great from THE CRUISER CROWD. Don't know where all the sportbikes were (did see some of course), but for all the membership on this board, the turnout was dismal. I did manage to see a few of the "oldtimers" on this board, but overall was diappointed with the lack of support given by the sportbike crowd to this worthy cause.

So, for next year, please consider doing a good deed and banking some "good karma". Plan to attend the Toy Run!!!!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Hhmmm where were you, and why didn't you calll me on my cell, cause i know you should have my cell # by now.

Fak, sport bikes were there in "limited" numbers this year.

Someone droped thier balls... it was prolly me I shoulda been expecting the same amount as last year if not more BCSB riders like last year. but I didnt promote it due to family duties.

but next year!!!! More sport bikers!
:thumbup

ps someone remind me around sept 25 2007

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hhmmm where were you, and why didn't you calll me on my cell, cause i know you should have my cell # by now.

Fak, sport bikes were there in "limited" numbers this year.

Someone droped thier balls... it was prolly me I shoulda been expecting the same amount as last year if not more BCSB riders like last year. but I didnt promote it due to family duties.

but next year!!!! More sport bikers!
:thumbup

ps someone remind me around sept 25 2007
Sorry I missed ya Pete! I did manage to see Magic, Roger, George, Wayne and the Bowmans' though.

I was with a group from work, consisting of 2 cruisers, a standard, and my fiance on his vfr800.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Where are all the sportbikes? Do you really have to ask?

Is I keep telling people on this site OVER AND OVER ...

Sportbike riders ARE A SMALL MINORITY in the riding community. The overwhelming number of bikes on the road are cruisers. I'd say that 10% or so of the bikes there were sportbikes, which pretty accurately reflects the amount of sportbikes on the road vs cruisers.

Is it really so hard to accept reality? You get told all the time on line.... you see it for yourself in person...

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
:imwithstu

I was there, along with two other sportbikes, four cruisers, and a sport tourer. We're in the minority. Just like Betamax, the superior technology doesn't always win out. At least in this case, it's not going anywhere.

Did anyone buy a ticket to win the Harley at the PNE? I couldn't help but think that if I won I could sell it and have enough to buy both myself and my wife a new bike, and save money on maintenance costs down the road (over keeping the Harley, that is).

·
slower than ...
783 Posts
I have always assumed and will continue to assume that the Toy Run is a PR event, to encourage the public that all these "bad boys and girls" are really nice people. i.e. "HD riders don't sell drugs" Well from the pictures every year, they sure don't look like anyone I would associate with. What is with all that poor fashion. Yikes, "I am really a surgeon and a nice guy, but I like dressing like a drug dealer."

I believe sportbike riders do not have a "bad" image that needs correcting, and I know many of us here support all sorts of causes, with or without a show. Don't ever expect me to support a cause that is going to redeem me in the eyes of a stranger.

·
565 Posts
I did manage to see a few of the "oldtimers" on this board.
I did manage to see Roger, George, Wayne and the Bowmans' though.
Shall I deduce I'm an "oldtimer"? Ha Ha. Somehow I'm flattered. J/K. Good to see you again Janet.

I agree with your observations on the sportbike attendance. Pehaps we should organize more meeting points and then pick a part of the the mall parking lot where it would be mostly sportbikes rather than being scattered throughout the crowd.

I managed to ride with 6 or 7 sportbikes but still don't know who they all were. I should have been in some of the posted photos from Mr. SushiYaHa and Dazeeegirl but manged to evade capture from the lens.

G

·
At least a dozen of the Beemer club were manning the crossroads again this year, like a few other clubs also devote their time to making this event possible, instead of burning up our clutches in the parade.
I was there with my daughter again and her observation was priceless; "why are so many of those guys frowning?"
I was going to say it was because they ride shitty, loud, overpriced bikes, but I just said that they were trying to look tough.
It's a charity event and you have kids waving at the side of the road. Lighten up there, tough guys.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
First Sunday of October is bloody luxury! It used to be the LAST Sunday of October years and years ago. Fark it was cold. And the last Sunday of October was also the daylight savings time switchover, which made going to a club or a party the night before almost impossible, which coincidentaly was always Halloween celebrations so it was a giant clusterf*ck. I usually attended in my Halloween costume from the night before and running on zero hours of sleep.

Anyhow, Fish Antlers is right - sport bike riders are a small minority of motorcycle owners in the Lower Mainland and it's reflective of turnout at the Toyrun.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have always assumed and will continue to assume that the Toy Run is a PR event, to encourage the public that all these "bad boys and girls" are really nice people. i.e. "HD riders don't sell drugs" Well from the pictures every year, they sure don't look like anyone I would associate with. What is with all that poor fashion. Yikes, "I am really a surgeon and a nice guy, but I like dressing like a drug dealer."

I believe sportbike riders do not have a "bad" image that needs correcting, and I know many of us here support all sorts of causes, with or without a show. Don't ever expect me to support a cause that is going to redeem me in the eyes of a stranger.
First off let me say that oganizing the Toy Run is something that Shannon and I truly enjoy, helping ensure that kids have presents under the Christmas tree, well, I can't think of anything better! I'd like to thank all of you who came out to help the kids, attendance was approx. 7,000 bikes, 7,-10,000 toys (they are still counting) and $22,000.00 cash. Was one of the best in years and I encourage all to come out.

I am not sure why you think this is done to improve motoryclists image, it was started to help out kids at Christmas who without help might not have a Christmas that all kids should. For 28 years this has been going on and only in the past few years (maybe 15) has it gotten any press what so ever. Please come out, all of you, not for image but for the kids!

Adele

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
First off let me say that oganizing the Toy Run is something that Shannon and I truly enjoy, helping ensure that kids have presents under the Christmas tree, well, I can't think of anything better! I'd like to thank all of you who came out to help the kids, attendance was approx. 7,000 bikes, 7,-10,000 toys (they are still counting) and $22,000.00 cash. Was one of the best in years and I encourage all to come out.

I am not sure why you think this is done to improve motoryclists image, it was started to help out kids at Christmas who without help might not have a Christmas that all kids should. For 28 years this has been going on and only in the past few years (maybe 15) has it gotten any press what so ever. Please come out, all of you, not for image but for the kids!

Adele
Question: I've always donated toys for the past dozen years I've been attending this event, but I've wondered about cash donations and where do they go? What sort of percentage of cash donations goes to administration costs and how does the money get spent otherwise? I realize that you don't collect a huge amount of cash each year, but I'm still curious as to how the donated money gets spent.

Thanks!

G

·
When you crunch the numbers that's only $2 donation per person and 1 toy. For all these people on luxury toys those numbers are really bad.

Other than that it's a good cause, just be nice to see everyone donate more than the cost of 1.5 litres of fuel.

Merry christmas kid , here's a stuffed bear and $2 I really love ya. As he roles away on his new red 2006 R1.... Thanks Santa !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Question: I've always donated toys for the past dozen years I've been attending this event, but I've wondered about cash donations and where do they go? What sort of percentage of cash donations goes to administration costs and how does the money get spent otherwise? I realize that you don't collect a huge amount of cash each year, but I'm still curious as to how the donated money gets spent.

Thanks!
All Toys and money go to the Lower Mainland Christmas bureau, they support (with toys) 10 other bureaus throught the lower mainland and B.C. The cash goes to buy food vouchers for the families at Christmas, several major food stores give them bulk buying rates such as you pay $10.00 we will provide a $20.00 gift certificate, nothing goes to administration. Years ago the Christmas bureau used to make up their own baskets but it was so labour intensive it became, as the need grew, impossible for them to keep up. Vouchers just makes it easier to distribute. The Christmas bureau has only 2 paid staff the rest is done entirely by volunteers and it's board members. If you ever want to know just how lucky we are, spend some time volunteering at Christmas, it is an eye opener, and not of the good kind. Don't get me wrong it makes you feel good to help but it also makes you feel humbled by what you have! Over the years it has gone from helping out single mothers and families on welfare to now days the "working poor" people who make it, living paycheck to paycheck all year long, but when Christmas comes there is nothing for the extras to make that time of year special. BCCOM helps out by doing the advertising, mailing out posters, raising money from manufacturers, selling spots at the end for vendors etc. Hope this answers some of your questions!

Adele

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Thanks! Now I know! And knowing is half the battle... GI JOOOOOEEEEEEEEE!!!

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I don't bother attending this event anymore.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts