BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Formerly FURY
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone think of any extra maintence I should consider when I do occasional track days? For example; frequency of fluid changes, bearings, break pads. I'm on a stock SVS with new D207s being broken in.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
You'll have to keep an eye on things but all in all you really won't have to do much.

Just clean and lube the chain both before and after and figure that a track day is the equivalent of 1000 kms on the oil and change it accordingly.

Other than that I'd make it a habit to go over all the critical bolts before a track day just to be sure they stay on.

And depending on the rules you may have to change over the coolant to water or water wetter instead of antifreeze.

F

·
0 Posts
I not a guy with a bunch of track experience, but I am a mech engineer, so regarding the antifreeze to water change, you really should do it as water has much better heat transfer properties than antifreeze, so this change should keep your bike from getting to hot even in spirited track riding. If you do it though make sure to use distilled water. You can get it at any grocery store.

F

·
0 Posts
thefury said:
what area of mech. engineering are you involved with?
I work for Duke Energy (formerly Westcoast Energy) doing compressor station/gas processing plant design and construction management work. It's a pretty good job and I get to play with 30,000hp jet engines/gas turbines.

D

·
0 Posts
Flag R6 said:
so regarding the antifreeze to water change, you really should do it as water has much better heat transfer properties than antifreeze, so this change should keep your bike from getting to hot even in spirited track riding. If you do it though make sure to use distilled water. You can get it at any grocery store.
Would this be of any use for everyday city riding?

Dafnip

F

·
0 Posts
Dafnip said:

Would this be of any use for everyday city riding?

Dafnip
The only way it would be of use is if you were riding faster than you should on the road. The antifreeze that is mixed with your bike normally has other good properties that water doesn't. Mainly it should be corrosion resistant, as I'm sure you know water isn't. With the track bike the water shouldn't be left in for weeks after the track day.

·
Formerly FURY
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flag R6 said:

I work for Duke Energy (formerly Westcoast Energy) doing compressor station/gas processing plant design and construction management work. It's a pretty good job and I get to play with 30,000hp jet engines/gas turbines.
Sweet. I thought you might be in the HVACR industry. You're advice has been useful, thanks.
:rider

·
Track Day Wh0re
505 Posts
thefury, is that your silver srx6 in the buysell?
If so, it looks super mint.

Singles are bad ass man.

thefury said:

Sweet. I thought you might be in the HVACR industry. You're advice has been useful, thanks.
:rider

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
You don't want to run straight water on the street. Aside from corrosion problems the anti freeze raises the boiling point of the mix and also lubricates the pump seals.

It's this lubrication quality that makes the track people ban it from tracks. A bad anti freeze spill on a track pretty much shuts it down for the day as apparently the glycol doesn't come up with the dri-sweep like gas or oil do and that part of the track becomes slick.

Even race bikes use some stuff called water wetter to help lubricate the seals and raise the boiling point a little but it's not as slippery as the glycol.

·
Formerly FURY
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eg_hybrid said:
thefury, is that your silver srx6 in the buysell?
If so, it looks super mint.

Singles are bad ass man.

No, mine is the red one in the BCbikes section. think the silver one in the buy and sell is a Japanese import from Atlas. If it's the same one I saw last year, it's pretty beat up. It looks better in the picture, not sure though. My SRX is a 1986 stock Canadian version that's got 6000kms.

And shit yeah, it's a hoot to ride. If I had the cash... the KTM Duke II is the one to have. Or a 1989 GB500 if I could find one!:rider

1 - 12 of 12 Posts