1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Well, well, well. Isn't this interesting.*

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Looks like I'll need to get a zipper all the way around on my leathers. And I'll need to check with the track owners to see if a VFR1200F exceeds axle weight limits for the track surface.*

Yep, $500 isn't cheap. I assume for us economically challenged people, only doing one day is an option? It would make for a great weekend. Up Friday night, good hotel, dinner and a bottle of wine and then a day on the track.*

·
23,539 Posts
Too much $$$, not worth it at all IMO. I'm excited about doing a track day or 3 this summer, but
by the time you take into account all other expenses and time, this not good value to me at all.

I realize track days are not cheap, and that's fine, but this is too far out of line for myself to consider.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, $500 is up there for cash but I live 40mins away. No travel, no lodging, I may just have to go try it out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Too much $$$, not worth it at all IMO. I'm excited about doing a track day or 3 this summer, but
by the time you take into account all other expenses and time, this not good value to me at all.

I realize track days are not cheap, and that's fine, but this is too far out of line for myself to consider.

not cheap but not stupid expensive.... they claim a 100 dollar track fee in the price.. so where's the other 400 going? still twice the price of other track days.

i guess there's lots of rich people that cant get into the states.. or hoping for albertans driving down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was hoping it is going to be in the $375 range that was initially thrown around. Even at $375 ($288) that is still higher that most track days in NA. Oh well, I was looking forward to ride the new track but at $500/day, not sure if I can justify it. That's 2 days of riding at the Ridge.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, cudos to Spero for putting this together and making it happen.
But at $500/day it's questionable whether it's going to be sustainable.

I will go, but only to about 2 or 4 days max this year and probably the same for next.
If it was in the $350 range, I'd probably try to go to all 8.

It will probably be fine for the first year or two or five, especially if there's no other venue out this way.
But once the novelty wears off a bit, I don't believe that we have the population or the deep pockets to support this.

I really hope I'm wrong, but this enterprise could go south quickly (no pun intended).

·
track hack
1,993 Posts
$495/day is a kick in the nuts for sure.

When compared to other tracks in NA, that's at minimum a 30% premium based on what's offered which is essentially the same 7-20 minute sessions and a few snacks/drinks which most other TD providers offer as well. Even with the 37% loss versus the greenback it's still much cheaper and faster to travel to The Ridge.

For reference, THE ultimate track in North America currently is COTA in Austin, TX and that's on par with them - they are a MotoGP track, established facility, and most every rider I have heard comment on that price there STILL says it's not worth that much.

What a shame... $350-$375/day would be feasible IF it were weekend double headers, but their schedule shows no SAT/SUN dates for '17...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, cudos to Spero for putting this together and making it happen.
But at $500/day it's questionable whether it's going to be sustainable.

I will go, but only to about 4 days this year and probably the same for next.
If it was in the $350 range, I'd probably try to go to all 8.

It will probably be fine for the first year or two or five, especially if there's no other venue out this way.
But once the novelty wears off a bit, I don't believe that we have the population or the deep pockets to support this.

I really hope I'm wrong, but this enterprise could go south quickly (no pun intended).
there's no reason why it can't get beaten down to 300 bucks.. it's probably 500 bucks because it can be.. being a new track, novelty etc.

that and only two of the days are on weekends.. I suppose that's not a huge deal to most people?

·
Registered
8,222 Posts

When compared to other tracks in NA, that's at minimum a 30% premium based on what's offered which is essentially the same 7-20 minute sessions and a few snacks/drinks which most other TD providers offer as well. Even with the 37% loss versus the greenback it's still much cheaper and faster to travel to The Ridge.

For reference, THE ultimate track in North America currently is COTA in Austin, TX and that's on par with them - they are a MotoGP track, established facility, and most every rider I have heard comment on that price there STILL says it's not worth that much.

What a shame... $350-$375/day would be feasible IF it were weekend double headers, but their schedule shows no SAT/SUN dates for '17...

That's interesting, I had no clue as to what track days at other places cost. I would guess that part of the pricing is "because we can". There isn't another track of this quality in BC, it's a brand new facility and they can test the waters to see what the market will bear.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am with everyone else on this on too. I was excited about the new track and really want to try it out until I saw the price. Ouch that hurts. As much as I want to try out Area 27 - I'm going to the Ridge since it's cheaper and quicker to get to too.

Maybe some day when it's like $300 I will be able to afford it.

·
smoothness counts
39 Posts
That's too bad, I was really looking forward to track days there, with it the only BC option for a road course (sorry mission), but at that price I think the ridge is still the choice, even with the current exchange rate.
That is of course unless you're upper middle class or higher, or no mortgage or family, fill your boots!
That being said, I'm sure I could scrounge up 5 bills for one day plus expenses associated, but any more than that will be sketchy. Pity.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Great looking track, but that price is a killer. As Zoot said, $100 goes to the Area27. That is mandatory fee for anyone using the track who isnt a member. Area27 added this about 6 months ago, when they realized they can milk more money for this. From what I saw there was no track fee for non members in the original plan.

Perhaps price goes down after the initial hoopla about the track, or maybe not. Wait and see, but $500 is too rich for my blood.

·
Lee RideFar
5,463 Posts
Let's not get too cranky about the cost. It is the first year. The costs to build this track are insane I am sure they are eager to make some of it back. I am in for at least one track day at Area 27. It is a 5km track, that's insane. It's a full kilometer longer than the Ridge. But you can't beat the value of the Ridge and other US tracks even with the currency conversion.

BTW - The $500 includes lunch! :thumbup

·
track hack
1,993 Posts
It is a 5km track, that's insane. It's a full kilometer longer than the Ridge. But you can't beat the value of the Ridge and other US tracks even with the currency conversion.

BTW - The $500 includes lunch! :thumbup
4.0km versus 4.8km so yeah, same amount of corners but 800M longer at Area 27.

Lunch is typically included with all of them - PSSR, 2-Fast, OPRT, etc... :coffee

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
Better be a 5 course meal for that price :p
:laughing

naked sushi :thumbup

based on what's offered which is essentially the same 7-20 minute sessions and a few snacks/drinks
this is what gets me, sure its fun and you learn lots n' you're spent at end of day.

but we're talking a handful of 20 minute sessions and you can all go home thanks.. too rich for my blood

1 - 20 of 72 Posts