BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an Epiphany this morning while in the shower, and no that's not a euphemism of some kind.

I'm envisioning renting or borrowing a flat bed trailer, getting a group of up to 6 people and their bikes together for a road trip. How about a marathon drive to Deals Gap and blasting the Dragon for a week? I'd need at least two 10+ year drivers to assist with the driving.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Much better plan. The effort should be properly rewarded.

But why England? Just go to Italy/Spain/southern France rent the bike there and you are in the middle of biker's paradise already.

I've ridden almost everywhere in Europe and nothing beats above area. The fact alone that police do not harass you unless you do something really dangerous plus extremely positive attitude of local people towards bikes in general is enough to do this trip as frequently as possible.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Moto Gp Laguna Seca, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Grand Canyon, Utah: Brice Canyon etc., Grand Tetons, Lolo pass, Idaho and BC.

SBNW on the Gorge: head towards Hells Canyon, loop of Idaho and back through BC.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I'm in, Kent. Depending on which week you choose. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sharing gas costs trailering several bikes to the Dragon will be much cheaper than flying to the UK and renting a bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just returned on Friday from 8 days of riding in Tuscany. I have never seen roads like that in all my 20 years of riding. One day we did 300kms and it took us from 8:30 in the morning to 6 at night. I didn't use any gear above 3rd all day long.

Incredible.

Save your pennies. Roads like that do not exist in North America.

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
I think the Dragon is overrated and not worth driving all that distance.

If you want to go to Utah and ride the new track there for a week, I am game.

Otherwise I suggest that everyone ride there on their own bike with a support vehicle in tow. Perhalf a large RV so everyone have a place to sleep, eat and shower.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
I just returned on Friday from 8 days of riding in Tuscany. I have never seen roads like that in all my 20 years of riding. One day we did 300kms and it took us from 8:30 in the morning to 6 at night. I didn't use any gear above 3rd all day long.

Incredible.

Save your pennies. Roads like that do not exist in North America.
Patrick good to hear you had a great time !!.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Scooter's suggestion is on the right track.
Blast the Interstate 5 to SoCal then take the rest of the trip to ride the PCH1 north to home camping or whatever along the way. Traverse the California Mountain Range alternating between the 101 and the PCH1 - phenomenal mountain passes and twisties. Big Sur, Carmel by the Sea, San Francisco, Alice's Restaurant, Soquel... man - there are so many amazing places.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I get dizzy thinking about the roads between the 101 and PCH1. 2nd and 1st gear for 50 miles.

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
Shipping bike to Hamburg: $500-$1000
Plane ticket to Hamburg: $880
Riding the Nurburgring: Priceless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
heh cuski you read my mind, I would start in england as tons of family, also have friends I can stay with in germany, denmark, france, holland, and austria. So I would have to accomadation issues/costs. and I would plan on doing a tourist lap or 2 on the nurburgring. Followed of course by the rental of a 911/911 turbo and a couple in that. Would love to do it in a 928 but noone rents them over there.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
The cost alone should never decide.
Sorry, I'm not sufficiently financially set yet to have that luxury. I need to work within a budget. :)
Maybe you want to give me a few grand, Janusz? :D

G

·
Sharing gas costs trailering several bikes to the Dragon will be much cheaper than flying to the UK and renting a bike.
i don't know about the cost of renting a bike for a few days in the uk, but the cost of the flight over will be roughly the same or less than renting a trailer for several bikes. you can fly cheaper to the uk than to toronto.

i'd do the europe thing riding, then stop off in valencia for the america's cup. i really hope larry ellison bmw oracle wins it, so i can just drive down to san francisco for the 2010 cup. i'd kill to get a job with the syndicate.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sufficiently financially set yet to have that luxury. I need to work within a budget. :)
Maybe you want to give me a few grand, Janusz? :D
It is an expensive vacation. No question.

A decent bike to rent can be up to 150 Euros a day.

If you can save up the cash it is a fantastic way to spend a week.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
i don't know about the cost of renting a bike for a few days in the uk, but the cost of the flight over will be roughly the same or less than renting a trailer for several bikes. you can fly cheaper to the uk than to toronto.

i'd do the europe thing riding, then stop off in valencia for the america's cup. i really hope larry ellison bmw oracle wins it, so i can just drive down to san francisco for the 2010 cup. i'd kill to get a job with the syndicate.
You're such a sail whore now.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I had an apiphany this morning while in the shower, and no that's not a euphimism of some kind... Deals Gap and blasting the Dragon for a week? I'd need at least two 10+ year drivers to assist with the driving.

Any other ideas?
:rockon

Other ideas? This is the best of all ideas, the very first destination that came to mind when I read the thread title. If such a plan could come together, count me in. All I need is advance warning to arrange the holiday time. ;)

And yes, I'd be happy to share in the driving... be it a truck, truck + trailer, mule-train, or linked elephants. Alternatively, I have enough cars to pull a few bike-laden trailers. We'd be stylin' :D

:rider
Charles

1 - 20 of 53 Posts