BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking into a 1992 TS200 Dual sport bike. Has anyone ever heard anything about these bikes? I am having an extremely hard time finding anything about them on the internet. I am thinking parts may be quite hard to come by.

If no one has any experience with this 200 2 stroke, how about thoughts on a similiar sized bike cruising on the highway?

·
SM Corporation!
375 Posts
TS 200 is a Suzuki. 2 Strokes love revs, but a 200 is small for the hi-way. However, a buddy had a DT 200 (1991) which is the Yam version 2 stroke dual sport, and it was great for seasonal beatings. In fact it is still getting beats today.

Check out the Yamaha DT 200. A cross with a YZ 250 and an IT 200. Good bike, parts are not a problem, as Yam sold 10 times as many DTs to TS Suzukis.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The ts is as good a bike as the dt.Tough top ends and skookum bottom ends.Run opti injector lube and you can't go wrong.I am looking to buy one as well (cause traffic sucks and I can laugh as I ride the ***** home).The dt will be easiert to find parts if needed and they look cooler.I had a 1976 175 that always treated me well.

·
Motard Central
881 Posts
Mix and injector oils

Optimol sucks ass. Anyone who doesn't think so has never opened up a top end and looked at the mess it makes out of power valves! Oil's are a question of preference but if you want the absolute very best you need to get MAXIMA 927 or KLOTZ Benol. Both are castor based.

·
Racin' anyone anytime
51 Posts
FYI, the DR200 is a 4-stroke, and the TS200R is a 2-stroke. They might look the same, but see that thing called an exhaust pipe? The 2-stroke one looks signifincantly different than the 4-stroke one.

So, the DR isn't the same as the TSR.

Jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I soon realized it. The website with the pictures I was looking at had there pictures scrambled.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Opti is the best oil for the most power, because of the 100:1 mix ratio.The problem that exists with this oil may be that it is very adhesive to the metals inside an engine.It needs to be for the purpose of supplying an engine with protection when mixed very thin.Thus there is need for periodic maintenance at more frequent intervals.Opti injector lube on the other hand is not as potent as Opti 2 due to the pumps being preset to apply an approximate 38-1 ratio depending on throttle position.And I would take an oil that was petroleum based over one that is mineral based when mixing with petroleum anyday.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
As far power, generally an extreme ratio such as 100:1 will actually produce LESS power since a little more oil will help to seal the rings and provide more compression.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unlikely considering a four stroke does just fine on power and they use an oil ring to prevent oil from going near the compression rings at all.Using a 1 % mix ratio provides a noticeable increase in power when compared to 3 % ratio.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
2-strokes don't like constant rev's. Not a wise choice for hiway.
What he said ^^^^^^

Most 2 strokes were designed to go fast from one corner to the next on a motoX track. You should only hold them WOT for only 7 to 10 seconds then let off. Staying at one constant speed at high revs will hurt the.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What he said ^^^^^^

Most 2 strokes were designed to go fast from one corner to the next on a motoX track. You should only hold them WOT for only 7 to 10 seconds then let off. Staying at one constant speed at high revs will hurt the.
You guys are all saying this. but what about 2 stroke scooters. I mean they are held at WOT 24/7. And small outboards too.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
That is a different style of engine, designed for that purpose. Compression ratio, timing, exhaust, etc.... are all different.If you want to ride on the hiway a four stroke is a much better option. But it's your choice. Live and learn.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A good article.There's a lot of good information in it.Though it doesn't delve into testing with a variety of oils, it clearly reveals how more oil makes an engine run with less friction, thus creating more power regardless of the lesser fuel ratio. Can todays conventional 100:1 oils provide sufficient friction reducing qualities to compete with a good old 30:1 mix? I'm under the impression that they can. Ultimately friction results in wear and ends in failure. Not one of my engines have ever failed due to oil related problems.I recommend Opti-2 simply because of the tear down results of my own 2 strokes. Untill this oil lets me down, that's what I'll use.

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
HuD 91gt: I know the bike you're talking about, the blue one for sale on Usedvictoria.com? I know a guy who had the same bike and he went off about how sweet it was. Yeah a 2 stroke would be kinda bitchy to have on the roads as for the increased maintenance and the fact that they don't like constant revs (noticed this right away on my 2 stroke) but only $2000 for a street legal dual sport? buy it! it also has a smaller rear sprocket for more top end highway speed (125km/h+)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts