BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that no matter how I position myself at an intersection, my bike does not seem to contain enough metal to register with the road coil to activate the lights. Is there a solution to this predicament other then getting off the bike and pressing the cross walk button?

Yesterday night, the cross wind was enough to blow my bike sideways. However leaning into the wind is like leaning into someone that suddenly pulls away (when the wind stops), causing the bike to swerve in the direction of the lean. I'm not sure if my body or arms are feeding the input into the bike. I have tried letting go the clutch hand and only ride with the throttle hand (this seems to help). Are there any other solutions to strong crosswinds?

Appreciate your response.

Ralphael

·
Registered
271 Posts
i have no problems with the lights..... i just act as if i'm a bicycle..... go real close and hit the darn thing........ then get back to the center

as for the crosswinds...... fun fun :D just position yourself well.... don't be parallel to cars if you are in the lane that gets hit with the wind first

then.... basically u just gotta adjust yourself... and maintain high traction, try not going too fast

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
There are electronic "trippers" that you can buy. Extending your kickstand and touching it down can work. If the lights go through a couple cycles, and your light doesn't trip, you can legally ride through when the intersection is clear and safe to do so. IMO this last one is a last resort unless I'm in a deserted area.

Good question!

·
Registered
841 Posts
For the wind increase your bubble. Keep lots of space between you and anything beside you. Keep your speed down and crouch down as far as you can. The closer you are to the bike the less area the wind has to push you.

I wimped out on Monday and drove to work. It's a bit too dangerous on the freeway in those conditions. Of course I was mad on the ride home when the sun came out for a bit.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
I find that no matter how I position myself at an intersection, my bike does not seem to contain enough metal to register with the road coil to activate the lights. Is there a solution to this predicament other then getting off the bike and pressing the cross walk button?

Yesterday night, the cross wind was enough to blow my bike sideways. However leaning into the wind is like leaning into someone that suddenly pulls away (when the wind stops), causing the bike to swerve in the direction of the lean. I'm not sure if my body or arms are feeding the input into the bike. I have tried letting go the clutch hand and only ride with the throttle hand (this seems to help). Are there any other solutions to strong crosswinds?

Ralphael
There was a big discussion about the traffic loops and activation on another thread, try looking for it (don't know what the thread title is though). The only recourse is to phone the municipality and complain about it, ask them to get the sensitivity of the loop adjusted.

As far as the wind thing goes, you just have to go with it. I remember riding across the plateau near Hinton, Alta. and the wind nearly blowing me into the other lane. You just gotta lean into it, but then stay relaxed and loose so that you can adjust when the wind dies.

Found the thread about traffic loops:
http://www.bcsportbikes.com./forum/showthread.php?t=67705

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a big discussion about the traffic loops and activation on another thread, try looking for it (don't know what the thread title is though). The only recourse is to phone the municipality and complain about it, ask them to get the sensitivity of the loop adjusted.

As far as the wind thing goes, you just have to go with it. I remember riding across the plateau near Hinton, Alta. and the wind nearly blowing me into the other lane. You just gotta lean into it, but then stay relaxed and loose so that you can adjust when the wind dies.

Found the thread about traffic loops:
http://www.bcsportbikes.com./forum/showthread.php?t=67705
Thank you flyfishinwoman.

·
Crotch Rocket Scientist
929 Posts
I was told that the magnetic sensors can be tripped by revving your engine over them sometimes if the bike doesn't do it by itself.

That being said, if tripping sensors is really important, try dragging 20-30 beer cans behind your bike.....cops'd love that too.

·
Crotch Rocket Scientist
929 Posts
Good wind practice - the bridges to/from North Van - psycho - nothing was like doing the Lions Gate on a windy day....wow are you ever awake then.....the advice here seems right - stay aware, ensure you have space between you and other vehicles and AVOID getting close to large trucks - they create dangerous pockets....

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good wind practice - the bridges to/from North Van - psycho - nothing was like doing the Lions Gate on a windy day....wow are you ever awake then.....the advice here seems right - stay aware, ensure you have space between you and other vehicles and AVOID getting close to large trucks - they create dangerous pockets....
ditto for Westminister Hwy and the Alex Fraser bridge. I was keeping my bike in P3 to avoid the cement divider.

In regards to the lights, I'll try the kickstand method, otherwise I'll walk it across the crosswalk :laughing

Thanks everyone.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
I was told that the magnetic sensors can be tripped by revving your engine over them sometimes if the bike doesn't do it by itself.
Misinformation. I know about traffic signals, as I used to install, program, fix them.

·
Crotch Rocket Scientist
929 Posts
I was also told that the people that installed them were hamster-eating, demon-worshippers who lied on websites constantly.

Now I don't know who to believe. Obviously I am kidding.....never had a problem tripping one, but my bikes were always over 500lbs.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
I was also told that the people that installed them were hamster-eating, demon-worshippers who lied on websites constantly.

Now I don't know who to believe. Obviously I am kidding.....never had a problem tripping one, but my bikes were always over 500lbs.
Weight of the bike also has nothing to do with tripping the signal. Mass of metal of the bike does. The loops are not "scales" but rather inductive loops which detect metal masses passing over them. Just in case you thought they were weight-activated, which is a common misconception.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com./forum/showthread.php?p=889233#post889233

·
Registered
271 Posts
oooohhhhhhhhhhhh i thought ur talking about the ding ding things..... that you press when you want to cross, like pedestrians.....
i always use the bicycle ones....

what are you guys talking about?! and where do they have these coil things

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
I have tried letting go the clutch hand and only ride with the throttle hand (this seems to help).

Try letting go with the throttle hand as well. This will eventually reduce your speed to that which you can safely be on your bike.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
i always look for thecoils in the ashphalt... you can see them 99% of the time. i place my bike right over the seams and always put my signal on... i have heard that the increase field produced by the electrical signal will help the sensor sense you... and yes i will tap my brakes as well.

i have never had a problem with a light not tripping with my vfr, although it does contain more heavy metals than almost any modern sportbike ;)

and i suppose those same attributes help with crosswinds. i suppose just plain being used to it helps as well. even on my smaller bikes i've had in previous years, i have never had serious problems with side winds.

you should try the floating bridge going into Astoria, Oregon on a windy day! that is interesting! i has a seaa gull blow across the road and basically split the distance between my head and the windscreen!!! ok, maybe it wasn't that close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts