BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when looking at some bikes f/s, i have noticed alot of theses u-build/re-built
titles. what does this mean? i know it has been crashed and writen off but, whats the deal on buyin a re-build bike? what to ask /look for when buying a bike with this kind of title. how much less is the re-sale value of this titled bike?

thanx's alot.

brad:imwithstu

·
Smooth Operator
642 Posts
ask WHY it has a rebuild title, or salvage. Some times its as little as a theft, butget it insected, and if it was an accident, check if it did any enginedamage etc.

G

·
"But get it inspected??" If it has a 'rebuilt' tile, it has already been inspected to get it back on the road. It realy dont take much to write off a street bike (panels). Find out WHY it was and go from there. There are a couple threads reguarding this subject. Search and enjoy the read.

IMO 'rebuilt' doesnt mean much, asside from a sweet deal to be had.
Any bike can be smashed up, fixed out of pocket (backyardhacks/no inspections) and sold with no declerations. Be cautious either way when purchasing a bike.
:rider

·
Fuelled by rice
4,474 Posts
still worth getting an inspection or at least test ride. A girl here told me she test rode a couple of rebuilds and found them not "feeling" right.
It's all about peace of mind.

·
WMRRA/OMRRA #246
191 Posts
I think Rogue pretty much summed it up for you. I have bought bikes with "clean" titles that gave me big head aches down the road (engine troubles, fork leaks etc..) and I've also bought "rebuilt" bikes that ran like they were new. Bottom line is there isn't really any difference, just make sure you do your homework on the particular bike your looking at and def get it inspected.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I still endorse the premise a prospective purchase should be inspected.
After all, the "rebuilt," status stays with the motcycle. It may have been thrashed by a few owners since it passed its "rebuilt," inspection.
Caveat emptor.

G

·
never buy a "rebuild", most (all) times the bike are put together wrong, with the wrong parts(possible stolen parts). next question, do you really know if it has the orginal speedo? not worth the couple grand($$) saving, plus you're probably supporting some "hack" or worse a bike theif.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Just because no one answered the second part of your question. A "Ubuild" i s a bike someone put together from parts. You need a frame, engine, and I believe transmission serial number with receipts and you can build your own.

G

·
never buy a "rebuild", most (all) times the bike are put together wrong, with the wrong parts(possible stolen parts). next question, do you really know if it has the orginal speedo? not worth the couple grand($$) saving, plus you're probably supporting some "hack" or worse a bike theif.
Thats a pretty accurate 'ass'-umtion, cause that could/would never happen to a bike with a 'clean' title..... :blindside

Besides, who cares if the speedo is original or not, for a couple GRAND $$$. A bike can be ratbagged in 10,000, or could be mint at 50,000. Still comes down to going over the bike with a fine tooth comb, reguardless of title.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
A bike can be ratbagged in 10,000, or could be mint at 50,000. Still comes down to going over the bike with a fine tooth comb, reguardless of title.

Words to live by. A regularly maintained high milage bike would be in a lot better shape than the 6 year old R6 with 4000 Kms and the original oil

·
Registered
844 Posts

lol, some people are so stupid.

·
Registered
844 Posts
speaking of all rebuilds that must be shit, you get rid of your "rebuild" sv650s that was like new with hardly any miles that needed a mirror, had a dent in the tank and a scratch on the fairing? according to buddy it musta been put together wrong, so hopefully you didnt cross thread the mirror mounting stud when you installed the mirror that was "probably" stolen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
speaking of all rebuilds that must be shit, you get rid of your "rebuild" sv650s that was like new with hardly any miles that needed a mirror, had a dent in the tank and a scratch on the fairing? according to buddy it musta been put together wrong, so hopefully you didnt cross thread the mirror mounting stud when you installed the mirror that was "probably" stolen.
ha, you know about that one =o)
really, the buyer took it to his shop and mechanics couldn't belive it was written off!
the guy got a pretty sweet deal on that one.
same for the bike on my avatar - brand new FZ-6 with only 350 km's. i rode it for a season and it was an awesome bike!
i rebuilt cars and bikes myself and usually drive them for a year or so before selling, so i stand behind my work.
right now i got '07 toyota camry which needs about $1500 in parts and about $2500-3000 in labour. even airbags did't blew!
30G's car. no one beleives it is total!
well, i guess icbc got too much money. (from our pocket)
they write off newer vehicles with ease...
but i'm ok with it :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts