BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you go to UBC and will be riding out there this spring, if so I'll look for your bike. Also where do people usually park, I always take a spot on the back side of campus along that main road by the Anthropology Museum.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I am taking 2 intersessions at UBC this summer, how much do you pay for parking ? where excatly do you park ? is there a desginated motorcycle parking area like at SFU ?

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I will be attending the first intersession for sure (maybe the second), and will park right outside whatever building my classes will be in. I will know where that is in a few weeks. And do not worry about paying for parking or designated motorcycle parking, just find a good spot.

At least that is what other UBCers have told me to do! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya the parking I do by the ANthro building is not actually in their parking lot but out on the main street, and yes it is free. I didnt know it was only $10 a month in the parkades, that is pretty good. Where do you get that pass, or do you just get it at teh parkade gate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vrecksler, I would warn you about parking anywhere, I have been at UBC for four years now and I have seen countless bikes that used to park in this little sheltered nook outside my building get parking tickets. It is a totally out of the way area and is where many people park their bicycles so it really should not be a problem but they still ticket motorcycles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parking tickets from the UBC security guys aren't to be taken too seriously unless you've already got a few. You're allowed about 3 before they try to tow your car, but i'm assuming they won't tow your bike as quickly if it's in a hard to reach area.
I'm out at UBC all the time but I'm not currently taking any courses. Maybe in September.......
I would park wherever is closest to my class, but I also have free parking out by the Hospital 'cause i'm a Beta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you know Gregson, Drake and Dave Kestell then eh. And ya they tow cars on the third ticket.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, i know them but haven't seen them in a while. There are 4 new West Van grads this year too

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
vrecksler said:
I will be attending the first intersession for sure (maybe the second), and will park right outside whatever building my classes will be in. I will know where that is in a few weeks. And do not worry about paying for parking or designated motorcycle parking, just find a good spot.

At least that is what other UBCers have told me to do! :)

what courses or program are you doing ?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Bluestone said:
Parking tickets from the UBC security guys aren't to be taken too seriously unless you've already got a few. You're allowed about 3 before they try to tow your car, but i'm assuming they won't tow your bike as quickly if it's in a hard to reach area.
I'm out at UBC all the time but I'm not currently taking any courses. Maybe in September.......
I would park wherever is closest to my class, but I also have free parking out by the Hospital 'cause i'm a Beta.
a buddy of mine accumulated 7 tickets, and then they towed him.
twice.

cost him about 300 bucks each time. it's more trouble then it's worth. find a legal parking spot.
or maybe chain the bike to a light post or something :laughing
-d

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
rusty360 said:
vrecksler, I would warn you about parking anywhere, I have been at UBC for four years now and I have seen countless bikes that used to park in this little sheltered nook outside my building get parking tickets. It is a totally out of the way area and is where many people park their bicycles so it really should not be a problem but they still ticket motorcycles.
Last summer there were several bikes parking right outside of the Buchanan building and they were never ticketed. How can they ticket a motorcycle? That is just wrong! :) My younger brother never paid for parking in 4 years of undergrad and 2 years of post grad. He was ticketed ALL THE TIME, but the tickets are linked to the license plate, NOT the registered owner. He found it was cheaper to pay for new plates every so often than pay for parking. ;)

Human said:

what courses or program are you doing ?
I think I am going to go for Linear Algebra and perhaps Differential Equations or Calculus 4. Not sure, I am getting pretty burnt out. I graduated high school in 92, and started my post secondary education in 2000. It is has not been long, but it took awhile to get into it and I have been going non-stop through summers as well. I think I may want to take it easy this summer with a maximum of two courses. I want to get into Eng. Phys. next fall, but I do not think I have the grades. :( That is the plan though.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
another semi fraudulent way (oh who am i kiddin way fradulent) is to get yourself one of those credit cards that get offered on every campus (at least we had em in sfu) and then cancel it... this way you can swipe the card and get the parking reciept...and if the credit company starts bothering you tell em to bug off coz you know nothing..

of course this sounds rather illegal....

i've never tried it, but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

-d

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AlphaQ said:
another semi fraudulent way (oh who am i kiddin way fradulent) is to get yourself one of those credit cards that get offered on every campus (at least we had em in sfu) and then cancel it... this way you can swipe the card and get the parking reciept...and if the credit company starts bothering you tell em to bug off coz you know nothing..

-d
ppl did that at BCIT too when i used to go there full time... guys would have free parking for the whole year at the best spots.

although, near teh end of the year, they somehow traced the fake cards to the cars cuz of the serial # on the parking receipts... i didnt know how it turned out but apparently they got a big fine... not too sure.

i htink if you were to do this then jsut do it a couple times on each card and get new cards and cancel them every now and then. i have no idea why it wouldnt work either.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
CBR600F2 said:

ppl did that at BCIT too when i used to go there full time... guys would have free parking for the whole year at the best spots.

although, near teh end of the year, they somehow traced the fake cards to the cars cuz of the serial # on the parking receipts... i didnt know how it turned out but apparently they got a big fine... not too sure.

i htink if you were to do this then jsut do it a couple times on each card and get new cards and cancel them every now and then. i have no idea why it wouldnt work either.
well abuse anything too much and people get pissed off..
one's essentially stealing from the parking company when you do that.
on the other hand if you park you bike somewhere out of the way- i dont really see a problem with that....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AlphaQ said:

well abuse anything too much and people get pissed off..
one's essentially stealing from the parking company when you do that.
on the other hand if you park you bike somewhere out of the way- i dont really see a problem with that....
me too... park it far and hide it with some fallen leaves and branches... haha:laughing :laughing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AlphaQ said:

-d
i heard about this being done.. it works but anything like this is pretty risky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts