BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Do you buy under insured motorist protection

• Never heard of it

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Its a rip off, just another $25, I get minimum coverage

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Don't need it, I don't think the court awards are high enough to justify the $25

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Great idea, if I was to get hurt I would want the protection

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it is April and daylight savings time is on I figured it's time to insure. I am going to buy the additional under insured motorist coverage at $25. This coverage is for if you get hurt by someone else who would not have enough insurance to fully fund your situation. This coverage includes when you are diving your car or walking down the street. Now I could see a single person with no dependents might not be interested but it would be interesting to see a few stats while I wait for the rain to stop.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I buy an extra $1M coverage [the max] because -IMHO- the 'basic coverage' that drivers must carry hasn't kept up with the rising costs of injuries. As well, many drivers carry only the lowest 'basic' coverage they can because it's for "strangers" injuries/rehab costs, not their own. If something serious happens to me, $250,000 won't go far... so $25 is cheap.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm a fan of financial protection.
I buy the UMP for my car; it's insured all year long.
(occasionally my bike isn't insured all year)

·
Chief Rocka
391 Posts
Let me understand this correctly... If you have two vehicles (car and bike), you only need to buy UMP once on one of the vehicles, but it applies to both?... Or does it only kick in when you're in the vehicle you're injured in...

I've yet to insure, but I was going to add the UMP to my policy but was uncertain of the above..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JaK said:
Let me understand this correctly... If you have two vehicles (car and bike), you only need to buy UMP once on one of the vehicles, but it applies to both?... Or does it only kick in when you're in the vehicle you're injured in...
I was just reading the legal jargin on the ICBC renewal policy and you would have to be a lawyer to decifer it all. From what I understand the $25 covers you for a year no matter if your riding, driving or walking and get nailed by some dumb ass (no fault of your own) with not enough coverage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
all basic policies carry UMP(Underinsured Motorist Protection)....... it's the additional UMP that you pay the $25 for - which gives you an additional 1million - so - you have 2 million..... and given all the american plates that come up here I'd be wanting that since they don't have to carry insurance in some states!! if you ever get involved in an accident with an american plated vehicle - please, please, please make sure you get everything written down - policy number, policy carrier (state farm/allstate, etc), the name and contact number of the broker they bought it with, their driver licence number, current address and phone number!! Iccy Biccy can't access anything other than BC people - so you have to provide the information or you are SOL........... hard to track someone in Idaho with only a licence plate number....... :flashy

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
From what I understand the $25 covers you for a year no matter if your riding, driving or walking and get nailed by some dumb ass (no fault of your own) with not enough coverage.
Correct.
Yeah, I believe the policy is for the policyholder, not for any specific vehicle.
Correct. Remember though, if you buy it on your bike policy, that you *cancel* at the end of the season, so is the additional UMP coverage.
all basic policies carry UMP(Underinsured Motorist Protection)....... it's the additional UMP that you pay the $25 for - which gives you an additional 1million - so - you have 2 million..... and given all the american plates that come up here I'd be wanting that since they don't have to carry insurance in some states!!
Correct. There are "reciprocal agreements," between insurance company's. That means if the aforementioned Idaho motorist, with his minimum $100,000 of Third Party Liability coverage, drives into BC, his insurer *must* ante up to the minimum Liability coverate in this jurisdiction. That is, $200,000.
Another example is (personal experience) coverage for "Section B," or PIP
(what BC calls Part 7, which is medical coverage for your own injuries). Buddy of mine from Oregon crashes in Yukon.
With Allstate, in Oregone, PIP (personal injury protection) is an option. An option he didn't buy.
In the Yukon, $10,000 is the minimum for PIP, so Allstate was obligated to ante up $10,000 in medical care.
We'll forget for a moment, because he was an American, the turbo prop that picked him up in the Yukon took him to FAirbanks. He was about $20,000 in the ditch before he actually got to the hospital. Fortunately for him, he had additional coverage through his employer.
So for the price of about 4 decaf, half fat, double foam latte's........
just go out and spend the $25. You're protecting yourself against financial ruin caused by some sot with not enough insurance.......
And you think there's no one out there that won't tag you while yer ridin'?

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
i got it...why the fak wouldn't ya? There are alotta USA drivers etc on our roads...not to mention cheapo's...jebus it's $25 !!!!Do your self a favor everyone!

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
I might be totally off base but does having a valid BCDL entitle you to compensation if youre ever injured (even as a cyclist) by an uninsured motorist?

I seem to recall some sort of monetary policy connected to the BCDL system in my travels....who knows, it might be obsolete by now.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Can you only buy this at the time of renewal for your insurance or anytime?
you can add it to an existing policy, or when you buy a new policy.
(reason: the company wants to sell you insurance)

I might be totally off base but does having a valid BCDL entitle you to compensation if youre ever injured (even as a cyclist) by an uninsured motorist?
I seem to recall some sort of monetary policy connected to the BCDL system in my travels....who knows, it might be obsolete by now
Yes, your valid BCDL entitles you to benefits. Up to $1,000,000. Same as the UMP on your vehicle place. They don't "add up," to $2,000,000 though.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Correct. Remember though, if you buy it on your bike policy, that you *cancel* at the end of the season, so is the additional UMP coverage.
Can you check that? I bought the policy when I bought my motorcycle insurance last spring. It came as a separate piece of paper, not attached to my motorcycle policy. When I switched the insurance to storage insurance at the end of the season, I was told specifically to put the UMP policy with my car insurance instead, as it was still valid until this spring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
straight from ICBC.COM

Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection
Basic Autoplan provides Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP) [click for definition] of up to $1,000,000.

With Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection, you can increase your coverage to $2,000,000, for only $25 a year.

If you or your passengers are injured in a crash where the at-fault driver doesn't have enough insurance to cover your claim, UMP covers you and anyone else riding in your vehicle. It covers you no matter what vehicle you're riding in, and it covers members of your household riding in any vehicle except for ones they own.

UMP also covers you and members of your household if an underinsured motorist injures you when you're a pedestrian or a cyclist.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok Guys & Gals heres the deal

With your basic autopplan policy you get $1 million underinsured motorist protection this applies to you when your driving a licenced vehicle or if you have a licenced vehicle, it covers you if you're standing on the corner or riding a bike or whatever and it covers you North America wide including Hawaii. It also applies to anyone riding in your car or on your motorcycle and any dependents who lives with you that don't own a licenced vehicle .

There was somewhat of a landmark case when a chap named Singh from Surrey was driving a van in Washington state and the tire blew. The van rolled and all of the six family members in the van were REALLY hurt. People flew out of the vehicle etc. Anyway Mr. Singh tried to sue the tire company for a faulty tire and the jury came back and found HIM guilty for not maintaining the car...in the amount of ...are you ready for this...$12,000,000. Anyway needles to say he was only carrying $200,000 liability (cheap #@($#(#) but the UMP kicked in and they collected $1,000,000 each (he had the basic $1 million UMP that is covered under all valid autoplan policies which, again, applies to the owner and anyone riding in/on the vehicle with him. Had he purchased the EXCESS UMP policy for $25 they each would have collected $2,000,000.

And the policy is on the person not the vehicle. So if you cancelled your regular autoplan policy it would revert back to $1,000,000 but again covers you if your standing on the corner or riding a bike or whatever.

Having a drivers licence in BC gives you accident benefits so if your hit and can't work it pays a certain amount of medical bills and I think about $100 a week if you can work, and I think some other benefits but not the same as the UMP (ie law suit)

As you can see this is an absolute NO BRAINER for motorcyclists. If you don't carry it and your really hurt in an accident its your own fault..$25 is lunch at the white spot. I alway tell my clients to buy this coverage.

Anyway thats my 2 cents

Booboo
Paul Cassells

Cassells Ins.
Broadway/Cambie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts