BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasnt sure where to post this, so admins, feel free to move.

So I was asked by my sis to house/apartment sit for her while she goes on vacation.

I decide instead of bringing my car to her place, just to ride since I'll be able to use her car while im watching her apartment.
I go thru the underground parking which requires either using a card key or grabbing a ticket to enter.
I grab a ticket b/c im too lazy to pull out the keycard.

anyways, several hours later, I need to go run some errands and I decide to ride b/c its such nice weather.
this is my first time using a parkade key while on a bike, so I think it thru before setting off.
Ive attached the keycard and parkade remote to a lanyard which im hanging from my neck. That way, I only need to open up my jacket to acess everything. I figure the lanyard is long enuf to just pull out, lean towards the sensor, gate opens, im good to go.

anyways, I gear up, hop on the bike and head towards the exit gate.
Its one of those yellow lifting gates, which is pretty much alike a 2x4 piece of wood/metal/plastic that lifts up when u pay/swipe ur card.
I zip up my jacket, put the bike in gear and slowly turn on some throttle and exit the parkade, when I notice THE FRAKKING GATE STARTING TO COME DOWN ON MY HEAD!
I try to keep my cool and resist the urge to stop, but instead maintain my speed and duck my head all the way down via tucking in.

I didn’t even get a chance to see if my bike triggered a sensor when crossing the gate line thus causing the gate to go back up, or whether it was my quick tuck in manouver that prevented me from getting decapitated (or at least needing to buy a new helmet)

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Tips? Tricks?

·
This space for rent
2,099 Posts
Do what I do when asked to housesit: stay at home. On last day of their vacation, show up, feed the cat, water the plants, grab the mail, and flick on/off a bunch of lights. That, and change the part where you 'slowly' turn on some throttle. If you gotta giv'er, then giv'er.

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
I can't trigger the sensor on the ground at my place to open the gate, but I guess it has a safety mechanism because as my bike pulls through it opens up again.

I guess you just need to be more quick on the draw. (=

·
Registered
256 Posts
Had similar experiences with parking garages with my bike. Sometimes, the arm won't go up because the sensors can't sense my bike or even worse, the arms goes up senses nothing and then it comes down - almost on my head.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You have to be quick with those ones. We installed better sensors in my underground parking to be able to pick up a bike coming to the gate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts