BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
9,052 Posts

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
On Bandito's recommendation, perhaps this fits your criteria better as well: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/d/honda-vfr-800fi-5th-generation/6697913610.html

I've had a 5th gen VFR, these things are bulletproof. They were very advanced for their time, and had simple no-brainer additions that still aren't standard on many modern bikes (multiple trip meters, air temp, a working/reliable fuel gauge, etc...) Moreover, unlike the newer generations, this is the last generation without the terrible on/off mumbo jumbo of the vtec, and has fuel injection, unlike previous generations. This is also the last generation of the gear driven cams, and coupled with the V4, this bike makes lovely lovely sounds when adorned with a pipe. The only caveat is that it definitely feels like a last generation bike; it goes OK (much better than your R3), however it is top heavy and the mass is not as centralized as the newer options out there. However, it always comes down to the rider and if ridden well, these things can hustle. Will be a bit 'softer' than your typical supersport/superbike, and so will be much more practical for real roads.

Reliability wise, the only thing you really need to worry about are the regulator/rectifier, and that can be easily addressed with a cheap solution here: https://www.wiremybike.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=271&osCsid=5762c68449ab7c2a6c1986f1d0f3296d

Should you ever want to upgrade the suspension, cheap options also exist here: http://daughertymotorsports.com/Backup/vfr800.html

Finally, being that the VFR has an avid following, there are some great forums here: https://vfrworld.com/ and here: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yamaha is building tremendous engines but their naked lineup goes cheap in the suspension department. It's apparent when you ride them hard.

Highway 6 was built for sportbikes.

Someone mentioned the ninja 650. Not bad. Too bad they aren't 100 horse. Cheap used. You have to like pink. I've seen at least 3 pink ones.

If you want to partake in some group rides 600s or more sportbikes will hold their own, otherwise you're sucking the hind teat.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Lots of great suggestions and info. The gsxr750 i road a bit this year was an 03. Seemed really 'big' to me. But as I mentioned it was kind of trashed. Mismatched rear sets and race clip ons. I did see that ad earlier.*

I'm really not leaning towards a naked bike. But until I actually even get a day off I won't be rushing to look at much unfortunately. at some point next week I'll be taking a couple of days off. *

Honestly somewhat overwhelmed with the whole thing right now. I want to be certain what I want.

Again old gixxer is kind of making sense to me. Hwy6 has been probably 75% of my 6k of riding this year. And it's the road that always leaves me wanting a better bike. *My buddy with the gsxr750 moved away recently but I have other friends who have a f4i in their stable they've offered to let me try out if I'd like.*

I just want to get out for some rides, even on the bike I have at this point. My wife road my bike today while I was at work, like a slap in the face. Lol. It was good actually because she agreed again that I need an upgrade.

Thanks for all the input. Sorry if my post is kind of rambling or half coherent. Exhaustion is starting to seriously kick in. *

·
Registered
18,851 Posts
Naked's are ok up to about 120km/hr..........after that, your body takes a beating from the wind pressure. You tour, so get a fairing. Here's asmattering of 650's

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/d/2018-kawasaki-ninja-650/6680897140.html
Owner is out to lunch on his price though when you can buy one new for $7999 right now. I just like the color :)

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/d/2017-kawasaki-ninja-650-abs/6670432552.html
We've got a 650 naked kawi with abs. I couldn't tour on it just due to no windscreen would be very tiring.

And... I will say, yeah it goes okay, but they are pretty low on power if you want sport performance, unless you tart them up
and ride them around at max power territory on the tach.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try the bike on the left out. Bulletproof engine. 1993 CBR 600 F2 with 55K on it. Been too busy to actually try and sell it. I've owned it since 2002. $1,500.00 and it's yours. Good running condition, handles well; beats my ZX-10R in tighter corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Anywhere on the coast is quite a journey for me to try a bike out.*

I've been flip flopping around in my mind so much lately as I read and get responses and research the comments in this thread that it's got me really just wanting to put some seat time on my r3 again and really evaluate what I'm looking for.

If I'm going older or less expensive I keep coming around to a clean f4i. I think it would be a big step up performance wise and could satisfy my 'wants' while being a bike i could focus and build some skill on. *Not be completely overwhelmed. And if I'm looking to go newer I'm really leaning towards a 600sport bike still. But I almost feel like I'd need to save up for a bit more and get into something with abs and all the fancy new tech to make it worthwhile over say a f4i.*

I may go look at the local f4i I mentioned earlier on next week if it's still available. Looks like after Sunday I'll have atleast a couple of days off. Would be about $3000 to buy and I could probably see $2500-3000 out of my r3 in the spring?
Unfortunately our friends who have a f4i are out of town globetrotting for a few weeks. My wife told me she was offered the keys to their house/garage and the bike but she declined thinking I wouldn't be comfortable with that. And honestly I probably wouldn't be. I'm always reluctant to 'borrow' stuff.*

I'll see how it goes but the more I research things the more I lean towards a sport bike for the type of riding I do/enjoy. Not that I'm blazingly fast or highly skilled in anyway. Just that riding in a sportlike manner is where the joy of motorcycling exists for me. And that's where I focus my time/energy and what I want to improve and build on. At the 3k price point I could possibly just keep my little r3 too and maybe try to get down to some pmtd's or take some track lessons on it somewhere? *I know that the r3 has been great for learning/practicing on and very forgiving.

·
license to chill
2,850 Posts
One thing about the F4i - so many parts available. They made a ton of them, in addition to carrying over a lot from the F2, F3 and F4.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Abs is a lifesaver for sure. I used to think it was for pussies but I'm getting less dumb every day. Only superman can keep a bike from locking up or avoid getting catapulted in a panic stop.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I hear that. But neither of the bikes I have now have it. I know that's not very sound logic. Lol.*

But at what sort of years does abs start becoming common in say 600ss bikes? *Or common in general? *Is it still mostly optional on models? *Seems it could become a much more expensive needle in a haystack to find one. Unless I just hold tight and try to save up more? *

Next Tuesday will be my first day off in ages and I may take two or three days off if the weather is nice. But I always seem to say that. The OT beckons to me, so much more money for doing the same things. *i still may go and look at that f4i, see how much flip flopping I do in the next few days.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
id like to thank everyone for their time and input on this thread. I've really considered and looked at all of the options/opinions given but in the end I've decided to still go and look at the f4i that kind of prompted this thread in the first place. If the owner and I can get our ducks in a row hopefully I can view/ride it on wed.*

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm leaning towards a supersport for the riding I enjoy and access to roads I have. And I feel that the f4i is a solid choice for a older bike with somewhat more upright ergos then a newer 600. The abs I really see the value in but it would be a financial stretch I believe and hard to find a newer 600ss with abs and then I'd be into more aggressive ergos too. I'm hoping to talk my wife into upgrading her 300ninja to a abs equipped 400 in the spring. And maybe a year or two down the road upgrading again myself to something with abs, but I just don't think it's in the cards right now.

Not a done deal yet but I think if the f4i checks out I'll hopefully be bringing it home. *

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
i
Not a done deal yet but I think if the f4i checks out I'll hopefully be bringing it home. *
well done, I'd say. buy a bike that appeals to you. ride it till you discover it doesn't appeal to you any more ( maybe in 1 season, maybe in 10). sell it and move on. the big advantage to an older bike is that there will be nearly no depreciation, no matter what the timeline... the downside to an older bike is that there may be hidden flaws that you are not aware of at time of purchase, and older parts will be nearer needing to be replaced. but you sound mechanically adept enough to deal with most stuff anyway.

enjoy!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
So I think it is a done deal*. $2900 with 37k. Included in the sale was ogio saddlebags and tail bag in very nice shape, less than a year old. Less than 2k on tires, chain and sprockets. As well as new Coffman shorty exhaust and new battery this year. For $100 more I'm supposed to be picking up in a couple of weeks(he has to pick them up,from another residence)the yoshimura exhaust that was taken off as well as the original non-tinted windscreen, new grips, and a werkes undertail kit with led signals for the rear. It has led lights, flush mount and mirror mount signals. Looks to be all original plastics in good shape, bit of small scratches on the plastic of the passenger side from a standstill knockover. No marks in any of the casings or anywhere else on the bike that I could see.*

Test riding it and riding*it home about 50km I am pretty stoked. I feel at this point that it was a good choice. The power/acceleration is impressive to me but not overwhelming. The ergos are quite comfortable seeming so far. I asked about the cam chain tensioner and he said there's been no need to do it since he owned it(third owner) and didn't know if it had been done. In all honesty I forgot to ask the last time the valves were checked. Figured I'd check them myself this winter.*

I'll attempt some pics. That is my filthy shop where the new ride is home safe and sound. * IMG_1923.jpg *

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Forgot to point out. Bar end is missing on passenger side. He said it got loose and he neglected to tighten it and it fell off.*

21 - 40 of 96 Posts