BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Well I've got a deposit on it to hold it until Wednesday when I can make it there. It's a dealer bike.

I've done a ton of research on them and they seem to be quite bulletproof. Only issues at all I could find were a super small percentage of cracked frames in 06-07 but none by '08. Was a manufacturing process error that Yamaha sorted. I believe it's the 04 r1 motor that's in it, now I don't know the series of r1 engines well enough to know if that's the same as 06 or not. But by all reports they are quite bulletproof and powerful. It's retuned for more low-midrange but still apparently a peaky motor.

Looks bone stock and they just described it as good condition and that they 'checked it over'. Wednesday I'll check it over myself. Lol. Kind of hung up on the test ride though. I mean it is a 12-13 year old bike, 30,000km. They said i could secure it with a deposit until I can test ride it, still pretty wintery here. But on any given day that's clear I could bundle up and spin it around a bit I think. In Kelowna maybe? *Where I'm at never. We have feet of snow around still and really crappy roads. *I think this will tick most of the boxes for me. *And if it doesn't I'll just get a different bike next year it would seem.

I may be trading my f4i but that seems unlikely. I believe I'll do better cash deal and selling my f4i privately. I'll see what numbers we come up with though.*

Here's a link to the actual bike:
**https://www.kelownayamaha.ca/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7451011&p=1&vc=sport touring&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
That's correct, most info I've read refers to it as the 04 r1 engine. They are pushing about 150hp stock in the 2nd gen fz1(2006+). *Quite plugged up apparently with the ability for some significant gains with exhaust and tuning.*

*Tomorrow(which is today for me as I work graveyards) is the day. Hoping it checks out. I really like this colour and the touring edition of this bike.*

·
Original Pirate Material
1,071 Posts
Great bikes, have ridden the 1st gen. Low on torque, but overall a well-balanced well-handling street bike. I strongly suggest you try out a Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Wel it's a done deal now anyways.*

Turned out better than I'd hoped when I went to look at it. One owner bike sold new from Kelowna Yamaha and traded in there. Clean title and good maintenance history. Also $1700 dealer invoice of all maintenance just done to it. Plugs, filters, tires, fork seals, brake service, coolant swap. Basically everything that could possibly need to be looked at.

We came to an agreement of how any possible issues would be handled if present on the first couple rides of the season. So I felt confident buying this time of year.

Couple decent scratches on the saddlebags and a couple little scratches paint wear here and there but nothing alarming.

TMR I have no doubts from all my research that the ninja 1k is a fantastic bike and certainly a much more torquey ride than this fz. But coming from my f4i I believe I will be satisfied with the available torque and I'm used to having big top end which the fz is known for so I believe it will fit my riding style. I've also read that the gen 2 are superior handling to the gen1 with the aluminum twin spar frame supposedly offering much better stability for higher speed cornering.

Regardless it would seem part of the fun for me is trying different bikes/upgrading. So I'll just go with it and if the heart starts burning for some different ride in the future I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase.. solid bike i'm sure. I dont think i've ever heard a negative word on 'em.

thats something. You can use the insert image option , looks like a tree centered in
canvas just below the attachments button when using advanced mode.

its a pretty big image so i'll let you do it.

you can also just right click / copy the url, image address link you already shared.

insert between

i just tried it , works great.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
well done. first NBD post of the year?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'll admit I jumped on this early as I have been keeping my eye on the fz1 supply for awhile and had found the touring edition to espescially be a bit of a unicorn anywhere close to local to me. *The dealer pretty much had me at 'one owner sold by us and traded in to us' with clean title. Once we started going through the service history and then capped off by their last run through/maintaining of the bike it was sealed. I mean everything was done/looked at by them. Everything I mentioned before plus chain/sprockets and new tires too. *

Anyone interested in a well maintained f4i? *Lol. Gotta get it up for sale as one of the bosses stipulations. As well as I've been given a one year zero mods ban. I doubt that'll hold up though. :coffee

It's killing me a bit as I have to pick it up still. I've got to workout the logistics of getting it unloaded safely at home. My nice spot on my property where I usually load/unload is snowed right in. *I do have a flatbed trailer with a nice ramp I could use but it's probably a couple hrs of tractor work to get it plowed out and I've never transported a streetbike on a trailer before. Maybe I'll just ride it home if the day was nice? *

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Ring of power went on 16 years ago. The man card ship has long since set sail.

I'm pretty thankful really that my woman supports me in being a bit of a lunatic.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The upgrade quest is on again. With having moved my f4i along I now think we are going to upgrade my wife from a ninja 300 to 400. The 300 is getting up there a bit in km (36ish k) and it seems like the 400 is a much better spec'd out bike. My wife really wants to stay small/light so about the only other bike we are looking at too is possibly a z400. Mostly only because valley moto seems to have a real good price on new ones.

I can't really think of anything that compares strongly with the power, weight, and displacement of the ninja 400?

Curious if any members here have one or have spent any seat time on one? Espescially compared to a 300?

Hoping to socially distantly test a couple out by the end of the week.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
The upgrade quest is on again. With having moved my f4i along I now think we are going to upgrade my wife from a ninja 300 to 400. The 300 is getting up there a bit in km (36ish k) and it seems like the 400 is a much better spec'd out bike. My wife really wants to stay small/light so about the only other bike we are looking at too is possibly a z400. Mostly only because valley moto seems to have a real good price on new ones.

I can't really think of anything that compares strongly with the power, weight, and displacement of the ninja 400?

Curious if any members here have one or have spent any seat time on one? Espescially compared to a 300?

Hoping to socially distantly test a couple out by the end of the week.
I had the pleasure of riding brand new one for the day maybe a year or 2 ago, helping out with a bud's riding school (1st Gear Motorcycle School & Training - Richmond & Coqtuilam) and
was beyond impressed.......almost no comparison with the Ninja 300, which I have also ridden.

Great little motor and IMO, a better first bike for most folks vs the tried and true 250/300's of the past.......something many would probably hold on to for an extra
season or 2 if they started on one.

Still super nimble and easy to handle, the benefits of a small bike, but doesn't feel like some of the small bike compromise either.....hard to explain, but it's an absolute
worthy consideration for her in my opinion.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Thanks for that input. Helps confirm our thinking on this. With any luck we'll be checking a couple out on thurs/fri. I think we'll still checkout the z400 too as my wife does complain about getting sore on some of the longer trips we've done. Maybe the more upright riding position would offer her some more comfort? But then we have to weigh that against the lack of fairing too I suppose?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I am still loving my new to me fz1.....but! I don't know that I'm waiting a year for some upgrades. The suspension, particularly the rear is quite a disappointment even compared with my old f4i. So I think I'm going to hunt down a 07-08 r1 rear shock and plunk it in with an adapter that's well proven and readily available. I am kind of surprised the fz1 is outfitted with such weak/cheap suspension. It's certainly capable of getting into some high speeds pretty rapidly. I'm in no rush to mod, but if I keep the bike it will need the suspension sorted and a ecu tune as well. The ecu will wait until the off-season for sure though. Little things like a gear indicator and maybe levers would be nice as well. I don't know if it's because I've just not put enough km on yet or the broader power range but I'm having a harder time keeping track of my gears it seems? Maybe I'm just getting older and forgetful?

81 - 100 of 113 Posts