BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to get my first supersport. Been riding for about 3.5 years. Started on scooters, then moved up to a 250, now the 500 (not much of a jump). Feel pretty comfortable on bikes now and looking to get a 600. Looking at a couple on craigslist and have a feeling I will jump the gun and buy the first one I view without really sitting on any. Did some research between the two but getting mixed signals. I am quite set between the two as I really like the exhaust being under the seat so not really looking at the gsxr or r6.

Right now its a debate between a 2005 or 2007 CBR600rr, 2005 or 2006, zx6r 636,2007 or 2008 zx6r pretty much any cbr600rr or zx6r/636 you can see on craigslist lol. All of them are between $4000 - $5500 Hoping for some personal opinion from you folks.

If it matters I am 6'0", will be doing mainly city riding and sea to sky, and hoping to do more highway riding.

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice. I would suggest a Triumph Daytona 675cc since your a tall guy like me, it will suit your needs very well and is an awesome bike overall. Although I can't see any good deals on them at the moment. Don't rush to get a bike, always wait for a great deal. Good luck!

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,252 Posts
Looking to get my first supersport. Been riding for about 3.5 years. Started on scooters, then moved up to a 250, now the 500 (not much of a jump). Feel pretty comfortable on bikes now and looking to get a 600. Looking at a couple on craigslist and have a feeling I will jump the gun and buy the first one I view without really sitting on any. Did some research between the two but getting mixed signals. I am quite set between the two as I really like the exhaust being under the seat so not really looking at the gsxr or r6.

Right now its a debate between a 2005 or 2007 CBR600rr, 2005 or 2006, zx6r 636,2007 or 2008 zx6r pretty much any cbr600rr or zx6r/636 you can see on craigslist lol. All of them are between $4000 - $5500 Hoping for some personal opinion from you folks.

If it matters I am 6'0", will be doing mainly city riding and sea to sky, and hoping to do more highway riding.

Thanks
I'm your height and have ridden all of the bikes you've listed, along with a few others. I've never felt that any bike was "too small" for me.

Look, 600cc supersports are just about identical as far as performance goes. Figure out which one you like the most visually and find the best example you can for the money you're willing to spend. Don't overthink the brand comparisons.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Look, 600cc supersports are just about identical as far as performance goes. Figure out which one you like the most visually and find the best example you can for the money you're willing to spend.
I would just add, see which one fits you the best. Even though they are SS, riding position is a bit different between every bike really. You may just find that a certain bike of the ones listed has more favorable riding position and go with it. If it was me thought, I would check out Daytona 675. That is my dream bike, but thats just me :)

Enjoy and good luck in your search!

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
I have a bike with undertail exhaust, and the result is almost zero trunk space. I can fit a small wallet, insurance papers and sunglasses. That is all.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Look for a Good gixxer 750 K5/6 buy one with upgraded brakes and suspension Adult owned should be under 6K ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with the other guys. Just pick the one that you find to be the best looking or you find a great deal on. It's just my personal opinion, but Hondas have always seemed to be about 5 years behind the competitors in the styling department. As for the fit, at 5'11" I'm near your height and of all the bikes I've ridden, I never felt that one or the other was too big or too small, just different is all.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Look for a Good gixxer 750 K5/6 buy one with upgraded brakes and suspension Adult owned should be under 6K 
I'd advise against a k6/7 simply due to their known electrical issues.

Is that still in the second insurance bracket?
Yep, though its technically the 3rd if I recall right. 401 - 750cc.

Also to address your original post, I too am 6' and I used to own a K6 750, I found it decently uncomfortable after about 45 minutes, city commuting was okay-ish. The things that bugged me were my back and my legs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Anyone looking to get rid of their 600 :) lol
The 600 and 750's were plagued by the same electrical issues as they share most of the same parts. Problem was addressed in 08 (k8) by a recall, 09 and onwards I believe were as solid as any other Japanese bike.

To be more specific, the issue is that the rectifier goes and takes the stator with it (more often than not). To 'fix' this most people relocate the rectifier to the tail or to the side of the bike on the frame to help it stay cooler. Some upgrade to a heavier duty stator and a mosfet type rectifier.

Bikes oughta start becoming cheap around september when most people start thinking about storing bikes, right now its almost mid season so you may end up paying a premium.

·
Jhza
114 Posts
2005 zx-6r's have had problems with the ECU overheating. First time for Kawi to route the exhaust as an undertail, ran it right past the ECU.

It's all over the kawiforums, just do a google search "ECU overheat" on that website. Happened to me at around 40,000km, and so it seems with others as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went with a 2007 zx6r. Hope to do some riding with you guys soon. But damn the riding position really kills your back and wrists lololol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts