BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a horn online from Twisted Throttle and got a UPS delivery notice (I was at work when they tried to deliver it). On the notice they have indicated a $36 brokerage fee! WTF!!! That is more than the cost of the horn!
Do I pay it or say F U mother F'er! and say screw it. I could order another and have it delivered to my sister in Cali and have her bring it up at Xmas when she visits. It would cost me the same amount and UPS could :jerkoff

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Phone UPS and tell them you want to broker it yourself. Ask them when and where you can pick up the paperwork. Then go to the customs office of your choice (downtown, airport, border) and get the package cleared. Then go back to UPS and pick up your package.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
This is precisely why I ask vendors to send me stuff via United States Postal Service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
never ship anything across the border ups from now on. That or if you're in the lower mainland, get a PO box, or get setup with one of the businesses across the line and pick the stuff up there yourself. I do this almost weekly and it's saved me a fortune in shipping, brokerage and taxes ( as they don't normally send you in).

·
My bike has Baggage :)
351 Posts
Welcome to dealing with UPS. i ordered something from Twisted Throttle myself recently but I sent them an email ahead of time outlining my bitch with UPS and pointed them in the direction of the eopinon page on them for cross border shipping. They will on request send stuff via USPS. :)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Going to the Letter Carrier in Pt. Roberts this morning to pick up a parcel. It's the only way to go. No delays with customs, pay your duties on the spot (if any) and no broker fees.

Plus a nice little cruise down to Twassessen in the early morning.

·
you can't touch this..
124 Posts
i order stuff from ebay and dealt with this kinds of shit from UPS and i think the Brokerage fee is totally outrageous,,i dont know if other courier charge Brokerage fee but i had an item sent via FedEx and i was never charged brokerage fee......so my advice when you purchase sumthin online,,make sure they dont ship your item with UPS....believe me my expeirience with UPS are all bad and inconvenient......you're better off with USPS or other couriers...
another tip is,you can ask the seller not to declare the purchase price on the shipping slip specially if its over $50 or $100,,it will save you on paying tax and other xtras.........

UPS......AVOID.....

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Dude, if possible ask them to ship via USPS or FedEx if purcashing from the states. UPS is known for brokerage fees!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
If you send things UPS ground etc you get charged brokerage. If you send it UPS via air it's included and hence cheaper. Dont listen to the people telling you to get a PO box, you cant ship courier to a PO box and most US companies insist on shipping via UPS and will not send via mail (USPS). UPS wont let you broker it yourself. Pay them their money and call it a learning lesson.

G

·
If you send things UPS ground etc you get charged brokerage. If you send it UPS via air it's included and hence cheaper. Dont listen to the people telling you to get a PO box, you cant ship courier to a PO box and most US companies insist on shipping via UPS and will not send via mail (USPS). UPS wont let you broker it yourself. Pay them their money and call it a learning lesson.

i've never had a problem shipping anything to point roberts. as far as the courier shit they do sign for my items from all forms of delivery-you sign a form allowing them to do so. i'm gonna start calling you ms. information.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
dude... no couriers will ship to a PO Box :rolleyes .. get yer friggin facts straight.

No courier will ship to a PO Box:

ie...

SSBlade
PO Box 69
Point Roberts, Wa

If you did that, you'd get rejected. That's a FACT.

If you have a shipping company who will receive parcels on your behalf and they are willing to give you a physical street address, that's different... (BUT ...AGAIN... THAT'S NOT A "PO BOX")

They WOULD ship to this address:

ie:

SSBlade
c/o
69 Eyemgay Street
Point Roberts, Wa

Stop being a jackass.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
G

·
dude... no couriers will ship to a PO Box :rolleyes .. get yer friggin facts straight.

No courier will ship to a PO Box:

ie...

SSBlade
PO Box 69
Point Roberts, Wa

If you did that, you'd get rejected. That's a FACT.

If you have a shipping company who will receive parcels on your behalf and they are willing to give you a physical street address, that's different... (BUT ...AGAIN... THAT'S NOT A "PO BOX")

They WOULD ship to this address:

ie:

SSBlade
c/o
69 Eyemgay Street
Point Roberts, Wa

Stop being a jackass.

fine then. by saying p.o. box i assumed you were telling people to abandon hope on getting shit sent to a shipping company in the states. blablabla. i'm hungover, what's your excuse for being an asshole?

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
ups just tried to ding me for 100bux on two minidv tapes..it sure didnt help that the fucking paperwork that was filled out was for 300bux..lol....fucking ups noobs.

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
If you send things UPS ground etc you get charged brokerage. If you send it UPS via air it's included and hence cheaper.
True. The cheapest UPS air rate is only about $12 more than the UPS ground service. Which for this cross border nonsense translates to a $24 savings and you get faster "air' delivery. Go figure.

Some of the shippers knows this and will not offer ground shipping for this exact reason.

BTW, FedEx and USPS charges a fee too. The stuff I get from USPS (Canada Post) charges $5 if there are taxes and duties to collect. FedEx sends a bill later to collect money. I tried to call them to explain. They can't. I didn't pay. And, I'll do my best to stay away from FedEx too.

Dont listen to the people telling you to get a PO box, you cant ship courier to a PO box and most US companies insist on shipping via UPS and will not send via mail (USPS). UPS wont let you broker it yourself. Pay them their money and call it a learning lesson.
Some shippers set rules to not ship to PO Boxes. Otherwise, I believe it's the VISA (or other credit card) rules that prevents sellers from shipping to a PO Box.

I'm not sure if the exception to the rule would be, if, your VISA billing address is the same PO Box you want to ship to.

I've picked up a number of times at the UPS YVR depot. They did offer me the option of spending an hour or 2 to broker the package myself. Canada Customs charges a fee too. I don't know exactly how much. I paid the brokerage fee. Live and learn.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
nope... never found a shipper who sends to a PO box. If you can get your PO box guy to sign for it for you and give up the street addy, you're okay. Billing addy and shipping addy are two different things and are not related. It's the PO box that they hate.

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of online sellers sign exclusive deals with UPS or USPS. I believe they get special treatment, extra services, and maybe discounts. Sometimes sellers will ship by other means by special request. Sometimes they won't. For them, it's a matter of internal efficiency too. Only one set of procedures to train for. One set of paperwork to stock.

I know my employer ships by UPS (first choice) for all our cross border packages. We get a designated service rep to call for problem solving. The actual discount is somewhat minor. The last time I asked, the label printing supplies (with printer and software) were no charge. Volume matters when the contract comes up for renewal.

Everyone charges brokerage fees!! It's a matter of how and how much.

UPS should wise up!! They should not even offer ground options for packages from US to Canada unless (for low cost items) they are willing to waive the brokerage fees. This is very old BS. They must be getting so much bad PR for this type of gripe.

Dude, if possible ask them to ship via USPS or FedEx if purcashing from the states. UPS is known for brokerage fees!

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
nope... never found a shipper who sends to a PO box. If you can get your PO box guy to sign for it for you and give up the street addy, you're okay. Billing addy and shipping addy are two different things and are not related. It's the PO box that they hate.
Someone must be doing it.

I don't have first hand experience. But, I've seen it.

On a number of occasions, for my purchases from Dell.ca, I asked them to ship to my work address. They did. But, a VISA person called me to check on the charge. I just okay'd the transaction.

I'm guessing small sellers don't have this kind of clout with VISA/MasterCard.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts