BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Not me!!
971 Posts
http://www.packageexpress.com/
I ship evrything from online stores (metricbikes.com)and eBay to this place I usally ride to canada side of borader then walk across and back really fast well it works for me couse Iam from abby
I don't understand why anyone would do this unless it is part of their routine or they live 10 minutes from the border crossing. My time is worth money too.

· Not me!!
971 Posts
BTW UPS in the states rocks. in canada it sucks ass.
I'm not sure what particular element(s) you are pointing to.

I've always had better service on the Canadian side. The people behind the counter seems to be better trained and __work faster__. The trucks and delivery drivers seems to be a level better. Our packages, shipped from Canada to the US, seemed to get **beat up** badly as the norm. Canada to Canada stuff show normal handling marks.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
nope... never found a shipper who sends to a PO box. If you can get your PO box guy to sign for it for you and give up the street addy, you're okay. Billing addy and shipping addy are two different things and are not related. It's the PO box that they hate.
I'm not sure if things are different in the US, but Purolator is the only shipping company in Canada that I know of that actually has it written on their waybill "PO Box not accepted." You could be right about the PO box guy signing for it. All I know is that at my business we ship to box numbers all the time within canada via DHL/Greyhound/Novex/Flash/Ace and have had zero problems. Maybe some drivers are more picky than others, or maybe when using an account # they don't care as much. Collect or Prepay seems to make no difference

· coco bongo
1,003 Posts
clear it yourself. tell ups u want them to hold it at their airport warehouse for u.

u go to the airport warehouse. get the customs forms. drive to the customs office. pay whatever tax, get the form stamped. drive back to ups. show form. get package.

· Not me!!
971 Posts
clear it yourself. tell ups u want them to hold it at their airport warehouse for u.

u go to the airport warehouse. get the customs forms. drive to the customs office. pay whatever tax, get the form stamped. drive back to ups. show form. get package.
This may sound better than it is.

This Canada Customs office is in the main terminal, I believe. What's metered parking these days? Walk up to level 4. What would the wait-in-line be like?

I remember paying for something on the international arrivals level. I was the first and only person in line. That took 15 minutes to complete. :surrender

· you can't touch this..
124 Posts

too much hassle and inconvenience....

just avoid UPS.....

· Not wearing pants.
3,610 Posts

This doesn't work, believe me, I've tried. The outrageous fees you get associated with UPS shipments to Canada (CBC Report on UPS, Epinions.com reviews of UPS) are incurred by UPS border workers that do the work of brokering the items through customs; ie. by the time the item is at your door, or even across the border, the work is done, and you owe them money if you want that package. The only way to get around it is to do all the paperwork in advance, inform UPS that you have done this, and actually clear it through customs yourself. Save yourself the time, and have stuff shipped via USPS - the ONLY fees you will have to pay is duty, which is assesed based on the items estimated value, not some arbitrary value, and this is only if they inspect the package: this happens to about 1 of every 5 or so I have shipped to me.

· Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Fish is right that many won't ship to a PO Box if it SAYS PO box in the address.

But when you ship to Letter Carrier, Ship Happens or other drop ship points you list your name and then their address so there's no PO Box # involved.

With those services I've never had any issues.

· Registered
33 Posts
This doesn't work, believe me, I've tried. The outrageous fees you get associated with UPS shipments to Canada (CBC Report on UPS, Epinions.com reviews of UPS) are incurred by UPS border workers that do the work of brokering the items through customs; ie. by the time the item is at your door, or even across the border, the work is done, and you owe them money if you want that package. The only way to get around it is to do all the paperwork in advance, inform UPS that you have done this, and actually clear it through customs yourself. Save yourself the time, and have stuff shipped via USPS - the ONLY fees you will have to pay is duty, which is assesed based on the items estimated value, not some arbitrary value, and this is only if they inspect the package: this happens to about 1 of every 5 or so I have shipped to me.

No, you're wrong. The brokerage fees are incurred once the package enters Canada at the point of entry. You have two options if receiving an item that is shipped via UPS to avoid broker fees:

1) If the driver is at your door, do not accept the package; tell him (or her) that you'll clear the item yourself. The package will go back to the point of entry (UPS warehouse on Ferguson Road in Richmond). Once it arrives there, you can pick up the paperwork (once it's ready) and proceed to either CBSA office at YVR or the CBSA Cargo office on Miller Road. Pay the applicable taxes (and perhaps duty), then take your B15 receipt back to UPS to get your package.

2) Even better, be proactive and contact UPS while the package is intransit. Tell them you'll clear the item yourself. They'll call you when the paperwork is ready and you will then follow the steps listed in the above example. It's quicker to do it this way.

· All-weather biker.
279 Posts
Blaine package depot

Hagen's of Blaine (360-332-5246) also will receive packages for $2 US. They'll give you a call when it arrives (for a $1) if you call and register with them. They're on the main drag in town. More organized than the Letter Carrier in Point Roberts and for me about the same travel time from Burnaby.

Your Name Here
816 Peace Portal Drive
Blaine, WA

To the guy who says his time is worth more....that's fine, to each his own. Apparently lots of other people think it's worth their while. For me it's 20 min to the border and with a Nexus pass there's never a lineup. I do lots of on-line shopping and I will pickup several items at the same time.

· Not wearing pants.
3,610 Posts
No, you're wrong. The brokerage fees are incurred once the package enters Canada at the point of entry. You have two options if receiving an item that is shipped via UPS to avoid broker fees:

1) If the driver is at your door, do not accept the package; tell him (or her) that you'll clear the item yourself. The package will go back to the point of entry (UPS warehouse on Ferguson Road in Richmond). Once it arrives there, you can pick up the paperwork (once it's ready) and proceed to either CBSA office at YVR or the CBSA Cargo office on Miller Road. Pay the applicable taxes (and perhaps duty), then take your B15 receipt back to UPS to get your package.

2) Even better, be proactive and contact UPS while the package is intransit. Tell them you'll clear the item yourself. They'll call you when the paperwork is ready and you will then follow the steps listed in the above example. It's quicker to do it this way.
Are you sure? I was told by both Canada Customs and UPS that the paperwork would have to be done before the package was brokered across the border...once its across, its finished, the work is done.

· Registered
33 Posts
Are you sure? I was told by both Canada Customs and UPS that the paperwork would have to be done before the package was brokered across the border...once its across, its finished, the work is done.
Yes, I'm sure. I've done it on a few occassions and the only drawback is that it will take a couple of extra days for UPS to process the paperwork that allows you to clear the goods on your own behalf. It makes no difference whatsoever to Customs; they will simply process the entry once presented with the shipping invoice. If you need any further help, let me know.

· Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Klutch and Lakers. I suspect you're BOTH right. If you refuse delivery I suspect UPS just eats the charge and writes it off since they process it without your approval. Still, it would help if you inform them ahead of time as to the arrangements you wish to use. Just call them with the tracking number as soon as you know what it is and set up the arrangements.

As for brokering your own packages I don't see the point when we are so close to the border and have numerous shipping drop services available. Sure it's a run to the border but what about all the running around with paperwork or time spent FAXing forms (if they allow that form of signing)? Sounds like 6 of one or 1/2 a dozen of the other to me.

Besides, if my package is small enough I use the bike and make a ride out of it. Brought back a front wheel for the XR100 on the back of my Z that way.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.