BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wandering how many people actually use there clutch when shifting up. I just bought a new CBR and I noticed that my shifts are a lot smoother if I don't use the clutch when I upshift. Just wandering if this is cool to do or is frowned upon for any reason?

:confused

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
only really need to bang it up when ya wanna go faster than the next guy.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
i've been practicing my non-clutch upshifting as of late, i do it about 50/50 now on the street.

I hope it comes in handy the next time I hit the drag strip at mission raceway :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can do this in higher gears no problem, but like in 1st and 2nd I just can't make it happen.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
you really should not do it until you have around 3000 kms on your bike. just so the tranny is completely broken in.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
If you do it right, it won't hurt your bike.

But if your technique is a bit off, you will wear out your transmission prematurely.

A compromise is to use your clutch but only pull it in part way.

Another way to smooth out your upshifts is to preload the shifter -- apply a bit of upwards pressure in advance of pulling the clutch in.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I do not use the clutch all the time, just whenever I feel like it. When I am accelerating hard off the line I shift w/o it, ir if I am cruising with my left hand off the bar. Other than those two situations, I just shift whichever way moves me. :)

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Clutch is used for these. Putting it in first, downshifting, starting and stopping.

I do however use a mix of clutch and clutchless when 2-up.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
cosworth said:
I do however use a mix of clutch and clutchless when 2-up.
Why would that make a difference for you?

I often find I don't shift as smoothly when 2-up.. probably due to the fact that I have to shift slightly different due to slight differences in momentum.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I find it I shift much earlier and smoother when 2-up, mainly because I make sure it is smooth as not all passengers are accustomed to the sudden movements (acceleration and deceleration) of a bike. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
To smooth out my shifts, I'll raise the revs and let them 'rest' with constant throttle before snicking into the next gear and re-applying the throttle. It makes a noticeable difference from accelerating hard before upshifting.

Shifting into gear from 1st to 2nd is usually tough becuase of the huge difference in gear ratio's. Pretty much any bike with lots of kilometers will have hard 1st to 2nd shifts because of it even using the clutch.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Sewman said:
Shifting into gear from 1st to 2nd is usually tough becuase of the huge difference in gear ratio's. Pretty much any bike with lots of kilometers will have hard 1st to 2nd shifts because of it even using the clutch.
Is it detrimental when doing it in those gears (1-2, 2-3)?

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I've found my VTwin -with engine compression that makes it more jumpy than in-line 4's- isn't very forgiving with clutchless shifting. I have to be totally 'ON'. So... :rolleyes I don't clutchless shift much... :confused

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
i just partly clutch in, like 1/4 of the way. That way i find on my bike it makes the shifting a lot smoother, i have tried the cluth not even engaged it is faster, but not very smooth.

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
Dont turn the throttle back and keep it full on and fan the clutch a we bit for each gear so the power never falls off..

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
SuperSocks said:
Hi all,

Just wandering how many people actually use there clutch when shifting up. I just bought a new CBR and I noticed that my shifts are a lot smoother if I don't use the clutch when I upshift. Just wandering if this is cool to do or is frowned upon for any reason?

:confused
"Don't die wandering". Did you read that entire 9 page clutch/shifiting thread a few lines below this, and still have questions?

In most cases riders have trouble shifting clutchless, but you say it's when you use the clutch it's a problem. Maybe it's just that you're doing too much at once.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
jeckyll said:
Good thing that the thread isn't from say 2002 or anything ...
Good point, but now that I see it's cloudy out I must cease posting and refill the acetylene in my lamps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts