BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys determine value of used bikes? I use the local Buy & Sell (and sometimes dealership) as a baseline and then check again on http://www.kbb.com. Anyone else have any other sources?

I kind of have my eyes on the 99 R1 at Imperial Motorcycles. It's in mint condition. But it's got a lot of 22,000km on it. :eek You guys think that's too much mileage to even consider? What do you think is the fair buying price for that bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
I use the DEALER rates from the KBB when buying a bike in the off season. Take a look at the Buy and Sell and then compare. For that used R1 with 22,000 kms .. if it isn't a reblt, I would say $8000 private, but it is coming from a Shop with Warranty I hope, so maybe $9000? Use every flaw of the bike as your basis for lowering its price. That way it seems rational for the seller when u underquote him.

I am comparing this to other R1s, that I was looking at 3-4 months ago. 2000 Blue for $9500. Less than 20,000 kms and not a reblt. Moving out of country. I work at the Buy and Sell and have been eyeing the guy out. Went from $11,000 to 10,500 for a while and finally dropped it to $9500 when he got desperate =)

Take a look on the buysell website (www.buysell.com)... I checked out the Calgary/Edmonton section and was surprised at the lower prices I found. Not as much selection though.

22,000 kms isn't that much, but for some reason in Canada it is =) Regular "SPORTBIKE SEASON" is 5000 kms =) But then you take a look in Europe and most bikes clock 100,000 kms and keep on going? SO? I'd say most newer bikes are designed to break the 100,000 kms mark without having the engine reblt.

The older R1 is a great deal right now!! I was considering that and or getting a new 2001 929RR before I got my new bike!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
AlphaRed said:
I kind of have my eyes on the 99 R1 at Imperial Motorcycles. It's in mint condition. But it's got a lot of 22,000km on it. :eek You guys think that's too much mileage to even consider? What do you think is the fair buying price for that bike?
22000k is nothing in the scheme of things, all that means is that the person who owned it before you actually rode it, which means he/she more than likly took care of it.

I am more concerned about the bikes that are 2 years old and only have 5000k on them, because it takes an engine at least 5 to 10 thousand before it is truly broken in. So putting miles on it and having it serviced regularly would mean that the bike is probably in pretty good shape, as opposed to one that has been sitting for 2 years with little mileage, because I can gurantee you the one with low mileage has not been serviced or had the oil changed every 3-6 months like the manufacture recommends.

Just some thoughts, as a person who actually rides their bike, I expect my R1 to have close to 30 000km on it in two years. If you compare it to a car that is 2 years old 22000km is nothing and an excellent deal.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
22,000 kms is not that much. I wouldn't be surprised at all if these engines can last 100,000 + kms without any problems, as long as you change the oil and do the regular maintenace as scheduled.

Right now, i'm on pace to put 12,000 kms a year on my bike. I should hit the 12k mark this july....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
Maybe I just remember this from back in the day.. but I seem to remember that most motorcycles engines usually need rebuilding at about 50 000 - 60 000km's.

Maybe todays engines are a little better built..
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
absolutdm said:
Maybe I just remember this from back in the day.. but I seem to remember that most motorcycles engines usually need rebuilding at about 50 000 - 60 000km's.

Maybe todays engines are a little better built..
maybe it's just yammies and kawi's engines that need rebuilding eariler :laughing :laughing :laughing

i've heard of stories of old gixxer 750s with 100,000 miles without any major problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
Actually.. funny enough it was Honda's they were talkin' about.. but they could've just been talking about my VFR. Like I said, it's a fairy uneducated comment. :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
absolutdm said:
Actually.. funny enough it was Honda's they were talkin' about.. but they could've just been talking about my VFR. Like I said, it's a fairy uneducated comment. :D
edumahh what?? :) :laughing :laughing

oh yeah before I forget, the next ride we go on together, could I get a refill on bcsportbike business cards? I'm runnin low, been putting them on bikes I see at school and around downtown....
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote

Actually.. funny enough it was Honda's they were talkin' about.. but they could've just been talking about my VFR. Like I said, it's a fairy uneducated comment.


I personally know a couple honda riders who have over 100,000 MILES on their hondas with nothing other than routine maint. But i guess if you beat the hell outa your bike and don't maintain it proaperly, then nothing will last that long no matter what the make..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry to interrupt guys... but back to the original topic: :D

i don't think that 22,000km is all that much either. but it's just the general preception that it's a lot. and that makes resale difficult. if i keep it for another 8000km, i don't want to have a hard time trying to sale it with 30,000km on the bike.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
AlphaRed said:
sorry to interrupt guys... but back to the original topic: :D

i don't think that 22,000km is all that much either. but it's just the general preception that it's a lot. and that makes resale difficult. if i keep it for another 8000km, i don't want to have a hard time trying to sale it with 30,000km on the bike.
I dont see why you would ever want to sell a R1 unless you wanted to downgrade or wanted a busa or ZX12....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Canadian_Gixxer said:


I dont see why you would ever want to sell a R1 unless you wanted to downgrade or wanted a busa or ZX12....
The new GSX-R 1000!!!! :D

I don't intend to ever keep a bike over 2 seasons because I want to try different bikes. I always take resale value in consideration when I look so I don't lose too much (or at all) in the deals.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
AlphaRed said:


The new GSX-R 1000!!!! :D

I don't intend to ever keep a bike over 2 seasons because I want to try different bikes. I always take resale value in consideration when I look so I don't lose too much (or at all) in the deals.
well ya the big gixxer is putting out roughly 10 peak hp more over the r1, but if you want the big gixxer, then why you looking for a R1 then?? can't afford the gixxer1000, then get the 750, it runs with the r1 and company.... can't afford the gixxer 750, then get the 600 like me :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top