BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
streets belong 2 us
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know nobody likes to take a hit but ... come on some of these bikes guys are asking amounts that are making me laugh. this is supposed to be the off-season where you sell at a discount.

why is everyone (90%) so out to lunch? it's easy to see why nobody is selling.

M

·
0 Posts
i would tend to agree especially with the deals ive found south of the 49th.

D

·
0 Posts
maybe the prices are inflated so they get sold during demand time so they don't take such a hit.

or maybe you are just too cheap.

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
When I was trying to get my bike I noticed that too. It took a while and a lot of patience but I found a very good condition bike for a good price.
That is though after sorting through 20 year old bikes that have been raced for several years or ones that have been crashed and spray canned black with 60,000km for $3500. I think a big part of it are that these are free ads, but I guess too people want to get back what they paid to start, they don't want to eat any depreciation.

F

·
0 Posts
its worth what someone is willing to pay ,if some lunatic wants to ask $6500 for a 96 zx7r ,then just let them wallow in thier own shit.

used bike prices are asinine,even funnier when some newbie buys a brand new bike ,rides it for a week realizes its not his thing and sellls it ."LIKE NEW cbr 600rr ,mint ,hardly ridden (cuz im a nerd) perfect showroom shape (cuz im a nerd) aftermarket exhaust ,custom stickers blah blah (moslty cuz im a nerd ) willing to sell for 8 buks off a new bike price,save the PDi ! "

that pretty much sums it up

BUY A bike with slight damage or get one off www.thechopshopcycle.com and save a wack of money .ignore the nerds and let thier bikes rot .

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
Godspeed said:
Sellers have a right to ask whatever they want for their used bike, even if testing the market a little high at first. If the market will bear their asking price, it will sell. If the market won't bear their asking price, it'll sit for weeks with no sale until the owner drops the price. It's free enterprise.
Please! You and a few others are giving the clowns out there way to much credit for what they are doing. The market is flooded with bikes that new riders are dumping due to the fact that they got in on a fad that they now realize they want no part of. They then try to flog their "over priced" bikes and set unrealistic norms for similar bikes up for sale. It's the "Bigger Idiot" theory at work. You overpay for your secondhand ride and then you need to find a bigger idiot to overpay you......

·
Chief Rocka
391 Posts
doug said:
maybe the prices are inflated so they get sold during demand time so they don't take such a hit.

or maybe you are just too cheap.
I mostly agree that it's stupid both ways... But who's the worst? As a seller, you should have every right to set the price and adjust according to market value or interest.. Do some just shoot over the moon and are unreasonable? Yeh.. but that's their perogitive..

On the other hand, I can't stand folks who want something for nothing..

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think alot of the bikes are a bit unrealistic but if you are patient you can find a deal, just be ready to act cause it may not last long.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
All that happens on BCSB when you want to sell something is a bunch of guys with no posts offer you $3000 less than what your asking.

Its a bit frustrating at times.

Its hard to judge what your bike is worth, of course you think your own bike is worth more than a guy with maxxed out Visas and no credit shopping for champagne on a beer budget.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
Bikes are worth about 12.5% less than MSRP for every year that they get older.

The problem is that everyone thinks that they are worth gold.

It doesn't help that Blackfoot sells bikes for dirt cheap, so what would you rather buy? At the bike show, I saw RMS selling '05 CBR600s for more than Blackfoot is selling '06 CBR600s. Tough call there.

Used sellers have to deal with this too and instead of spending money to pay off their bike loan, they spend the money on exhausts and other stuff.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
Quick glance of the classifieds lists a '05 EX500 with 400kms at $6200.

Blackfoot has new '06 for $5700. The difference after taxes is about $150 in Blackfoot's favour. But, you would have to add in the freight and pdi cost.

Now, not trying to piss off the seller, but that is the harsh reality of it. If I was in the market for an EX500, I would buy the one in BC:D

·
Registered
399 Posts
How do you figure 12%?
That may be true for the first year or 2 on some models but sorry I didin't get my 10 year old Duc for free.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I bought my ‘04 VFR ABS new, as the used prices were 100% lame, plus they had already been dumped and abused. What’s the point? Let the used sellers suffer with their overpriced junk.

R

·
0 Posts
tell me about it
ive been looking for a bike for a month and i see people selling high 80's japanese sportbikes wth 60k for 2.5-3 grand...

·
Registered
22 Posts
matty67 said:
i would tend to agree especially with the deals ive found south of the 49th.
Yep, the used market down south makes me absolutely sick when I compare it to up here. The off road market is even more ridiculous, unless everything they sell down there are race bikes. Who knows!

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
When people stop low balling with STUPID offers, that is when you'll see real prices.

Ask $12000 for a bike and everyone offers you $8000 and can they make payments and take the bike.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
900 SS said:
How do you figure 12%?
That may be true for the first year or 2 on some models but sorry I didin't get my 10 year old Duc for free.
No,no, take the MSRP and subtract 12.5% for a 1 year old bike.

For a 2 year old bike, take the year 1 figure and subtract 12.5%.

For a 3 year old bike, take the 2 year old figure and subtract 12.5%.

Continue for 5 years, then prices start to plateau.

This works for cars. Do the math, you will see that it works.

·
Registered
399 Posts
SO for a 10K bike thats 10 years old, you figure its worth $2800.
Or a 15K bike thats 10 years old like $4200? Not to be argumentative here but I don't think that is realistic either.
I think it depends on the bike AND condition but it would have to be pretty thrashed to lose 12% per year. JMO.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure Bora is just giving general guidelines...although 12.5% is quite high..o_O

1 - 20 of 81 Posts