BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is fairly easy to find a cheap car, I've seen many people who bought a car for $500 or less.

But I found that used motorcycles are quite expensive especially considering the brand new price. The brand new price of motorcycle is generally fractions of cars but used bikes aren't THAT cheap.

I saw this YouTube episode on used motorcycles.
These guys purchased Suzuki Katana 600 for $675 and Honda Shadow VT500 for $450.

But I found that finding an used motorcycle for that cheap is kind of hard.

Even for 50cc scooter, it is hard to find one for that cheap. And you know how much 50cc scooters are worth even if they're brand new.

Have you guys noticed that? or is it just me?

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Really depends on the specific model. Used bikes that have special provenance, will of course have higher asking prices because they are desirable. Undesirable bikes? i generally don't bother looking for the "also rans", except they are usually money pits not worth the bother. Are you looking to get a winter beater or something?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Well that was a bit of a rabbit hole.*

So I think, yes you can get a bike for $500. A minute on craigslist proves me wrong. But what can you get for a car, for $500?
Turns out something like a 1992 Mazda Protege.

So what's on CL for motorcycles with a max year of 1992? Basically classics, or bikes that people think are special for some reason or another.*

And I guess that makes sense; do you want the motorcycle equivalent of a 1992 economy car? Motorcycling in this region is a luxury hobby, the old cheap bikes have long been abandoned, or are still sitting in garages with dwindling aspirations to get them running again.

Now the other side are the ridiculous prices people want for barely used bikes, seems particularly small bikes (ninja 300 etc). Sometimes more than the MSRP of a new one. But I guess, if people still buy them at those prices, then are they ridiculous?

I think it comes down to, it's an expensive hobby and there isn't a big market for cheap old junk; the people looking for motorcycles generally have some dough to spend and want something decent. People buy cheap cars because they need a car, nobody needs a motorcycle. If you do need really cheap transportation and two wheels is ok, then you buy a scooter. *

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with Steve, I was crawling crag's list for about 8 months looking for a ride before I bought new. I was specifically looking for a 600cc sport bike. I was hoping for A CBR600F4i around 2500 - 3000 bucks I figured that was reasonable for the year. Turns out you cannot find anything other than some ones abortion of a "street fighter " found in the Chillawack for that price. (No offence to anyone living in the wack but I'm sure you know what I'm sayin') I did come close for someones beautiful F4i in Barnaby but i did not have the last 300 bucks at the time. I felt like a real f*&k tard letting that one go over $300 and an ass for wasting that guys time. Regardless I feel squints pain on this one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really depends on the specific model. Used bikes that have special provenance, will of course have higher asking prices because they are desirable. Undesirable bikes? i generally don't bother looking for the "also rans", except they are usually money pits not worth the bother. Are you looking to get a winter beater or something?
Not necessarily a winter beater, but I wanted to get something to fix up and make it run well again or something.
You know? how cars have a lot of ads like "it's a beater, it runs and gets you point A to B"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I guess that makes sense; do you want the motorcycle equivalent of a 1992 economy car?
pretty much yeah...

I was looking at Ninja 250R (aka ZZR250)

But believe or not, these bikes are still going for $2,000 or sometimes more.
If it has broken fairings and needs a lot of work, maybe $1,500.

But my point is, the price isn't that much different than 2008-2012 Ninja 250R

I was expecting I could pick up one of these for $500 or less, but in reality, not even close

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyways I was not looking for winter beater bike, but I wanted to get something that still runs but just to have fun and maybe fix some stuff for fun and learn.
If I'm gonna buy new parts and fix on old bikes, does make financial sense? maybe not, but hey it's a hobby so...

And those older bikes seem like easier to work on and tons of parts available on eBay or just online stores so it's just a part of fun.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Don't bother with 250's or 400's. The component parts for them are exactly the same as for a similar aged big bike. They are not cheaper to repair/maintenance, generally.
Personally, if I didn't want to buy a money pit, and who does unless it's a true desirable like a bevel drive Ducati, or an OWO1 Yamaha, I'd be going with a bullet proof bike along these lines:
https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/mcy/d/96-suzuki-bandit-1200cc/6473707679.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/d/suzuki-gsf-650s-bandit-2005/6477879726.html

·
Registered Abuser
1,370 Posts
Agreed, not that one would recommend it for a beginner but that's the ballpark I paid for the ZRX1100 I picked up in December. There are definitely deals to be found but deal is relative and they will rarely be <$1000 for a still running/reliable bike.

Don't bother with 250's or 400's. The component parts for them are exactly the same as for a similar aged big bike. They are not cheaper to repair/maintenance, generally.
Personally, if I didn't want to buy a money pit, and who does unless it's a true desirable like a bevel drive Ducati, or an OWO1 Yamaha, I'd be going with a bullet proof bike along these lines:
https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/mcy/d/96-suzuki-bandit-1200cc/6473707679.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/d/suzuki-gsf-650s-bandit-2005/6477879726.html

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Lots of people like stock, nothing wrong there.*
spoken like a true bcsb member..

guess i'm the exception, stock blows monkey chunks :laughing

op, you're living in the WET coast, where people who have a two wheeled vehicle want so badly to consider themselves actual riders.!

for the most part people don't have much of a clue what a motorcycle is worth, so you're bound to find a lot of guys
who think that because they tossed a tarp over it in winter, its suddenly worth brand new prices again :laughing

I don't shop around for used bikes, but then this also comes down to what type of bike you're looking for, the bikes
I like aren't cheap POS either so they tend to hold their value better. I just don't like buying other people's headaches.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Used motorcycles are noticeably more expensive all along the west coast of North America. Head east and you will find the prices drop significantly. as the riding season narrows so does the ability to sell a used bike. notice how many used bikes Holeshot has they source a lot of them out of province.

·
How to ride
1,169 Posts
It's a bonus to find a well maintained used bike. Those pulled out of a back shed will need a new set of tires and battery just to get the tab going. Add $500 there. Motorcycling is not a cheap hobby.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Used motorcycles are noticeably more expensive all along the west coast of North America. Head east and you will find the prices drop significantly. as the riding season narrows so does the ability to sell a used bike. notice how many used bikes Holeshot has they source a lot of them out of province.
yes, its very obvious actually and most of it is marked by a large disparity in what folks think a bike is worth, even between Alberta vs BC.

I think a lot of it comes down to how the dealership networks and inherent pricing is setup, used bike prices are ridiculous in BC dealers.

the private market reflects this as well and voila! you have a market that sinks or swims on its own, I blame the rocky mountains :laughing

I purchased my last bike brand new, from Edmonton. Fvck BC dealers and their 'entitlement' clause.

·
license to chill
2,863 Posts
Look, there is a floor for a decent bike of a certain year and condition. I just had a quick look and there are two 99-02 R6 for 2k as well as an 05 GS500, an SV and an SRAD. If you think 2k is too much for a 600cc sportbike that hasn't been chopped up or laid down on both sides you are mistaken. There are plenty of people who want to get a taste on the cheap so the low end of the market can be competitive but if you look long enough and move fast you can get a deal.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts