BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the advantages / disadvantages of a V-twin or Inline 4?

Further to that, I have heard that air-cooled is 'old technology', so, same question regarding air vs. water cooled?

Thanks everyone in advance for your time.

Korey

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
Torque and Horsepower I believe, lol. And power bands? And... V-twins tend to sound F*&^ing amazing... RC51 with Two Brothers exhaust... wow...

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
All modern high performance sport bikes suck gas if you ride the piss out of them. However older Vtwins (with carbs) can use a bit more gas.

Put it simply, a Vtwin generally makes for a better STREET bike than a inline 4 does (which shines at the track, etc.).
The power is right there at idle instead of at 15,000 rpms.

If youre looking at a Buell or a Katana for instance (both which are air cooled), they have overcome most of the disadvantages and are generally as reliable as liquid cooled units.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
vtwins have less horsepower but more torque and I-4 is vice versa. Vtwins also gas guzzlers.
A new I4 litre bike makes plenty of torque and power *everywhere*. But a twin has a feel, sound, and narrow profile that appeals to many (myself included).

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
what i did find, 1L I4 feels like a car with a turbo .. has a bit of lag and a mule kick when the power kicks in. (not as much lag as a turboed car)

Twin ... instant power, limited top end power.

Twin is great for me, I4 aint bad neither. Try both, see what you like.

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
i have both a twin and an inline 4. in my eyes the twin has great real life power that can be used everyday on the street, where as my inline 4 is nothing but pure speed and adrenaline. its like i'm torn between the two. one is great for just cruising around and has a nice exhaust note, while the latter is just a speeding ticket

·
Registered
978 Posts
my I4 sucks gas like i cant beleive...i went onto reserve the other day at 170km!! its got an 18L tank so i figured it would do better than that but i guess not!!! it gets about the same mileage as my moms 06 corolla

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Split the difference and get a Triumph! 3 cylinders. Sound amazing and have plenty of torque.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
Why limit yourself? Get a V-4... :)
+1 for the V4...IMO, the best of both worlds. Great power, linear powerband, good torque, and an incredible sound (especially with a pipe). You can find the V4 powerplant in the Honda Magna and the Honda VFR series.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
vtwins have less horsepower but more torque and I-4 is vice versa. Vtwins also gas guzzlers.
This is a rather generalized statement. Not all twins make less power. Look at the TL/SV1000. It's making up close to inline 4 liter engine power (the orginal TL truly did match the liter bikes of it's day). The only difference is that the twins make their peak torque at a lower RPM range so they feel a lot more grunty when the RPMs are lower.

Even the lower hp twins like the SV650 and the Ninja 650 will tend to make their grunty torque at lower RPM's than the inline 4's and in a few comparisons they may even produce more power at lower RPM's than the I4's. But the I4's will shoot past the twins as the rpms build.

Then there's that elusive value for "character". I had ZX-9R's on either side of owning the Ducati that I had for almost a year. In pretty much ever way the 9R engines were better and more powerful than that Duc. But the Duc made me smile harder and more often than the 9R's ever did. The Duc just had that elusive feel that made me feel like the King of the Road.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Another vote for the V-4. Nice power down low, but enough redline to launch if needed (or wanted). Sounds fantastic.

·
I ain't not no genius
481 Posts
i have both, litre I4 and litre V-twin, both new. the inline 4 is power everywhere and smooth, quieter, and better highway bike for me. the upper gears need more rpm to feel the power. my twin has torque and is a better mid range ride, for casual fun local rides so far. not the same top end as I4 but definitely FUN, loud and responsive. the power delivery going into and out of corners, s curves etc is more linear and controllable from the twin than the litre I4. i am comparing the gsxr1000 and aprilia rsvr1000. with tig cans and arrow headers my twin will sound like nothing imagineable in my quiet neighborhood. i can't wait.

if you can, get both. different rides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts