BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 years after introduction, the V-Strom seems to be going stronger than ever. With the number of riders on this & other sites buying or consideing the V-Strom, it appears that the adventure bike segment might be here to stay.

here's a new review by some local bikes guys - pretty general but not far off the mark
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=479&Itemid=126
ok - sportbike guys - now's the time to take your best shots at the ugly duckling:laughing

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Pssst it the motor that makes the bike sing so well.

I've ridden one and there is only one big draw back... the seat height is like mountain climbing for short guys.
:laughing

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good old Pete said:
Pssst it the motor that makes the bike sing so well.

I've ridden one and there is only one big draw back... the seat height is like mountain climbing for short guys.
:laughing
Yeah you got that right - my 30" inseam can make things a bit dicey on steep sidehills:eek
As long as I keep my 250+ lbs on the seat, the height is manageable

ps - the motor is even MORE fun with the lowered gearing - 16/45 vs stock 17/41:rockon

·
My bike has Baggage :)
351 Posts
I just picked one up a few weeks ago, LOVING IT!!!!

:)

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
just like ronald macdonald said when stickin his big mac, in wendy's hot and juicy>> I'm loving it. +1 06 dl1000

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Yup, there're a keeper for sure....

I really don't know what Suzuki was thinking about with that 6th gear ratio though, but as you say it just begs to have a smaller front or larger rear sprocket installed, or both. Going to drop a tooth on the front of mine soon....

Height, hmm another "feature", I can tippy toe both feet and consider myself lucky.
However all in all, I have enjoyed this bike much more than any other I have owned, and that motor is a big part of it.

It is fun and enjoyable at any speed and on any road.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
silverD said:
Yup, there're a keeper for sure....

I really don't know what Suzuki was thinking about with that 6th gear ratio though, but as you say it just begs to have a smaller front or larger rear sprocket installed, or both. Going to drop a tooth on the front of mine soon....

Height, hmm another "feature", I can tippy toe both feet and consider myself lucky.
However all in all, I have enjoyed this bike much more than any other I have owned, and that motor is a big part of it.

It is fun and enjoyable at any speed and on any road.
Just a quick comment re gearing - I was a bit worried when I changed mine - would the top end suffer ?,
would the mileage drop ? would the engine scream at highway speeds ? I did a fair bit of research and math to try to put the engine back in its happy zone at around 120kph.

Well, the bike will still go plenty quick(over 200kph) and it gets there quicker, I rode with fury(V-Strom1000) last yr from vancouver to Lillooet in a wicked rainstorm at night and we burned the same amount of fuel, and no, the engine is fine at 100, 120 or 140km - you can actually use 6th gear under 120 now.

contact me if you want to try mine to feel the difference the gearing change makes.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
The V-Strom is like getting the best blowjobs of your life from a fat chick. You spend a lot of time justifying to your friends why you spend so much time with her.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
What took you guys so long to figure out that in the real world of potholes and frost heaves, you need this type of bike?

I had a BMW GS 650 for years and it is the most fun I ever had on a road bike. The wide motocross style handlebars made turns an absolute breeze.

On our tight twisty BC roads, these are the way to go. Once you outgrow the need for a replica racer, try a giant trailie and you will be hooked....!

The best of both worlds. :rockon

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
Tattoodles said:
The V-Strom is like getting the best blowjobs of your life from a fat chick. You spend a lot of time justifying to your friends why you spend so much time with her.
i dunno whether to laugh or be embarassed about that statement... excuse me while i go wipe the lipstick from my dipstick:devillook

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This was just sent to me from Suzuki Canada:

ALL SUZUKI DEALERS IN CANADA ARE CLEARING OUT REMAINING 2005
V STROM 1000'S

$6999 PLUS TAXES AND PDI

ONLY UNTIL 11:59 AM TODAY..

·
More filling!
486 Posts
'02 V-Strom DL1000 + lower forks 1" in triple clamps + DL650 seat (much more cut down) + back bar risers = pretty easy to ride with my 30" inseam. :rockon

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I can't speak to the suspension and the fun factor of the DL but I'm a huge fan of the lump!

The TLS was also geared ridiculously high making city riding a 1 gear affair. I've gone 1 down in the front and 2 up in the back and its .....:rockon
SO MUCH FUN. Humming along at 5 grand sounds the tits.:evilgrin :evilgrin

·
More filling!
486 Posts
DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN! I came to Canada with a lovely '97 TL1000S (with a Power Commander and steering damper) but it was so painful to ride in the city I sold it. I'm kicking myself now. Sure, it was getting older, but I've dropped loads of cash trying to find the right replacement (Z1000 to a DL1000). Now I'm wishing I had just had the guts to ditch the fairing, put helibars on the thing, reduce the gearing and see about farming a hydraulic clutch system onto the bike. I'd be huge money ahead and happy as a pig in shit!

The DL lump is related, but the throttle bodies are smaller. My TL1000S got worse fuel economy than my Acura, but damn that motor was tits!

Well, mark that one down as a future project, perhaps. :surrender

Sewman said:
I can't speak to the suspension and the fun factor of the DL but I'm a huge fan of the lump!

The TLS was also geared ridiculously high making city riding a 1 gear affair. I've gone 1 down in the front and 2 up in the back and its .....:rockon
SO MUCH FUN. Humming along at 5 grand sounds the tits.:evilgrin :evilgrin

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Good old Pete said:
Quit it guys all this talk about tits and lumps is making me crazy!
:thumbup
Haha, Pete a few years ago, I recall you talking about your tiller.. and saying something to the effect of once you go V twin, you'll never go back .....
I now know what you were talking about..!!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Whelp, all is not perfect in VSTROM land as it can have a part throttle stumble in the 3K to 4k RPM range and it can get so bad for some that the bike wants to shake like dice in a cup. A Power Commander can help I understand. I have also heard that Suzuki has newer ECU's that help and are available under warranty. Comments?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts