BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone be able to show me/ help me in adjusting my valves and doing a carb. synch. ???? don't really wantto go to dealership, want to save some $$$

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
If anyone bites, how would you feel about having someone (me), stopping by to watch, I mean supervise? The only problem I forsee is the need of tools if you don't already have them. If you're thinking of buying a carb-sync meter, let me know, as I had some info on a good setup a la Vmax tech internet people.

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
Hey Human, if you don't have any luck, what kind of bike is it for and exact details to the work needed. I had my old FZ fixed up and the new service manager was really helpfull, and sometimes I can get the service guys to do side work for cash. Doesn't hurt asking them...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Farhad,

If all else falls through Bill at 5th Gear in White did my valves/carb sync on my 9R.. His labour cost was extremely low (can't remember off the top of my head..) and he doesn't really mind people watching..

Jim.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
This isn't a shade tree job we're talking about.

To get to the cams to check things you need to do all that stuff that you've done to get to the spark plugs. Then the fun begins.... Off with the valve cover. This often means loosening the rad to get it out of the way. Then you check the clearances. If you find some that are out of range then you ..... ready for this.... take off the cam chain and remove the cam shafts so you can pull off the little buckets to get to the shims underneath.

Taking them off is bad enough but it's kind of important to put them on the right way or very bad things can happen.

On the other hand the carb sych isn't that bad but you need to have the vacumn gauges and some common sense.

Did I mention that a manual comes in handy for this?

If you do this your bike will be down for probably a week while you run around getting the shims replaced.

Still game?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 2001 ZX6R, I have the shop/service manual...just need someone to show me.....

thanks Bugs, ya definitely let me know....basically valve adj., carb synch. and check any of the major torque bolts that they do for the 5k service....i can do the rest, spark plugs, oil etc....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts