BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Been browsing around the forum recently and there is a lot of good info.
I recently just purchased a 2008 ZX-10R with 33,000 km's on it.

From what I could gather the previous owner put about 5k on it, and the rest by the original owner. Don't know if the valves were ever checked at 24k like the manual states.

Is it worth it to do on your own? Take it to the shop? What does a shop normally charge?

I don't mind taking fairings off beforehand to ease on the cost either.

Thanks!

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,228 Posts
yes, it's very much worth doing. Valve check from the dealer is a major service. On top of doing that, you usually get complete new fluids, new spark plugs, new air filter, brakes flushed, etc. Usually that service is going to run from $1000 to $1600 depending on how many shims you'll need to bring it back to spec, etc. It's very time consuming work, and you can maybe save a bit by removing the fairings, but not enough to make that worth it. Take all that stuff off, then you need a tow vehicle to bring it in to the shop, etc. I HIGHLY recommend Burnaby Kawasaki for that service. But call now, because they get super busy this time of year.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
SnoDragon is accurate in his cost estimates. BUT... You CAN take off all the plastics, which will save considerable time, both for re and re. So long as you have your plate and turn signals mounted, you're OK to ride. Plus, if you usually do your own servicing, book yourself in for VALVES ONLY. Maybe add new plugs, cuz they are 'right there', once you're 'deep' into the bike. I went thru exactly that process with my CB1000R a month ago at Carter Honda. None of the valves needed adjusting, and my total cost was $657.95, new plugs incl. If adjustment was necessary, you'd be looking at adding $200-$300. But 'full service' would add another $200-$300.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts