BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to go to Athabasca around the 10th of June, could someone offer the best/safest route? Also will the route be ride-able during mid-ish June...?
I haven't planned anything yet as I have no clue what the weather conditions will be up there during June, I'd like to go through the Icefields Pkwy if at all possible.

Any tips are more than welcome.

PS The longest trip I've done so far is 100km one way, know this will be a big jump but I'm pretty confident about the distance, will most likely be taking a break every 500km or so. Also hoping this forum ain't dead and gone lol

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Athabaska AB? Like, north of Edmonton?
How many days do you have? And are you trying to get there fast and direct, or do you want to wander on interesting riding roads?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep it's north of Edmonton and I'm trying to make it there in a single day(work). Then will spend a few days exploring around.

I did find a route tho, lemme know your thoughts about it: Cache Creek to Kamloops to Edmonton (passing Jasper) and then Athabasca. I think this is the route with the widest roads.
Any clue about the usual road conditions up there around that time of the year?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Longest trip so far 100km and you're confident in making a 1300km trip in a day? No offence but I think you need to rethink that. What kind of bike are you riding?

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,251 Posts
1300km is a long, long day. And not an enjoyable one in most cases. Break up the trip into two days, take it easy, enjoy the sights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The motorcycle that I have is not the most comfortable one I've had, it's a Ninja 400 but it'll do. And yeah 1300km is a really really long day of riding I totally agree with you on that. It just allows me max 2 hours worth of break time if I start at 6am. And as far as sitting on it for 500km at a stretch goes, I think I'll be able to manage that.

I also agree the ride will be more enjoyable if I stop at Kamloops for a night and then continue on. I'll try to find some airbnbs. The only dilemma I have is I need to be in Athabasca by 9am on the 9th. Now that is a really narrow window. If I stop at Kamloops(on the 8th), there's no way I'll make it to Athabasca by 9am, so I'll have to stop at Edmonton(I'll start the trip on the 7th then, and get to Edmonton by 8th) or book an airbnb in Athabasca for one day till my accommodation officially starts.

Also If I drag it out to Edmonton then Athabasca is just another 146 more kilometers...

What'd you guy suggest?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
harry, kerunt and squisher have nailed it. I ride a LOT, and I've very seldom done a 1300km day - in fact, maybe twice in my life! 650, on the other hand, is 'comfy'. 2 days; leave really early the first day, like say 3 am or 4am - you'll be in Kamloops for breakfast! riding in the dark is no fun, but it's no issue on hwy 1 and/or the Coquihalla, it'll just be colder than during the day. then you get the ride north up Hwy 5 from Kamloops, which is really pleasant. Jasper maybe 9 hrs from Vanc. mid-afternoon. then the riding gets to be a real drone, so don't push it and fall asleep and kill yourself. you might get to Edmonton, but you could stop in Edson or somewhere too. whatever, this seems like a 'big ask', so think about re-jigging your schedule... isn't riding supposed to be a pleasure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You got me there, I'll admit initially I planned on taking my motorcycle up there because "it'll be fun", idk when I turned it into a mission.

Here's the revised version :D
Van to Blue River, BC(641km) and then the next morning to Edmonton(577km) and then the subsequent morning to Athabasca(146km).

1) I'll start the ride on 7th morning, making stops at Hope, Cache Creek, Kamloops and Clear Water. Should easily make it by the evening even with all those stops.

2) For the next leg, starting on 8th morning will make stops at Jasper and Edson (if there is a place worth stopping do let me know).

3) As for the final part, start 9th morning, will be in Athabasca in under/around 2 hours.

How is this sounding?
Thanks again everyone

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,509 Posts
June can still be quite cold through the Rockies and for sure into Alberta.
I would stay South as long as possible by riding Hwy 3 day one for ten hours or so to Creston or Cranbrook, then day two head north on Hwy 93 for ten hours or so to Athabasca.

·
Registered
18,856 Posts
I have been through the icefields parkway a few times en route to Jasper, and I have encountered snow in June / July for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Smoke The second day that you mentioned, If I take Hw 93 up from Cranbrook to Athabasca, you were referring to going through Jasper? Also would you recommend turning onto Hw 11 from Saskatchewan River Crossing(Then take Hw 22 up till I meet Hw 16 again)?

@bandito I wasn't planning on doing icefields pkwy, but if I go up from Cranbrook I'll have to take it (trying to avoid snow if at all possible, unless, I should go through Calgary?).

I'm pretty confused at this point feels like I'm back to square one, any help is appreciated. Thanks again guys

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,251 Posts
FYI, New West to Kamloops is a 3hr drive/ride. Pretty short for a full-day trip. You can easily go double (or triple) the distance first day.

If you plan to find yourself in the area of Golden, double check road conditions/status. I've read some reports that the main highway leading into Golden will soon be completely closed (with no bypass) for expansion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New West to Kamloops is a 3hr drive/ride. Pretty short for a full-day trip.
Well up until this morning the finalized plan was to go till Blue River on the first day(230km north of Kamloops). And then by next evening making it to Edmonton.

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,509 Posts
@Smoke The second day that you mentioned, If I take Hw 93 up from Cranbrook to Athabasca, you were referring to going through Jasper? Also would you recommend turning onto Hw 11 from Saskatchewan River Crossing(Then take Hw 22 up till I meet Hw 16 again)?
Day two you'll know how you feel after day one, what the weather is like, and if you're making good time to Banff.
If you're sick of all the mountains and trees by now head to the flatlands, or stick on through the scenery to Jasper if you have the time.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
harry, you have the right plan in your post #8. stick with it! google maps shows Vancouver to Kamloops to Edmonton via the Coquihalla as 1160 kms 12 1/2 hrs. going thru the Canyon ( i.e., Hope north thru Cache Creek ) is more interesting and lower elevation, therefore warmer, and increases the distance to 1235 kms, plus adds 1 hour. riding Hwy 3 east to Cranbrook, while much more enjoyable, is totally counterintuitive - even if you then carried on directly east into AB, you be faced with 500kms of utterly tedious droning north to Edmonton, and the overall distance turns into 1560 kms and 17 1/2 hrs. as for adding the Icefields Hwy into the mix, that turns the Vcr to Edmonton distance and time into 1600 kms 18 1/2 hrs if you head east from Saskatchewan River Crossing, or 1700 kms 20 hrs if you carried on north thru Jasper. with your previous experience limited to 100 kms max, the easiest, shortest route is going to be a plenty big enough challenge for you. there's plenty of time to come for future rides in more interesting locales.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
p.s. Blue River is really small. if you can endure another 90 kms, Valemount is a quite pleasant little town. I've stayed at the Yellowhead Motel twice - cheap, super clean, friendly - had good chats with the guy who runs it, actually... the town is not exactly a diner's delight, but there are reasonable options. everything is within walking distance.

good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@doser Yeah I was checking the average June temperature for both the routes and it was almost identical. So I will stick to post #8. The only thing that worries me now are the rainfalls, lets see how that goes. Also thank you for the recommendation!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
harry, again, dead on re: rainfall. June is warm, but the weather is actually more unsettled than May. Scott makes really good, not overly expensive motorcycling raingear - the Scott Ergonomic Pro jacket and pants: Scott Motorsports & Snowmobile Gear | FortNine Canada I've got the pants and they're brilliant. Burnaby Kawasaki sell them as do Modern Motorcycling - not sure elsewhere... or take work wear...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts